Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

MLB ERA
    The Blue Jays no longer have interest in adding Tony Armas Jr. after securing John Thomson on Tuesday.
    "We have no interest in Armas at this point," GM J.P. Ricciardi said. "We've liked Tony Armas in the past, but I just think right now -- with where we are financially and maybe where he's at -- we're just a little bit too far apart." The Mets are one possibility for Armas.

The Pirates made their initial contract offer to free agent Brian Lawrence late Monday.
    It's likely a one-year major league contract. The Mariners and Padres have also made offers to Lawrence, and it's only a matter of time before the Rockies do the same. Because he's expressed a preference for playing on the West Coast, the Pirates are long shots to sign him.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Nationals manager Manny Acta would like to see Cristian Guzman take over as his club's No. 2 hitter this year.
    "We are going to see if the laser-eye surgery that Guzzie had is going to work and if he is back to his days in Minnesota," he said. Guzman had an OBP over .311 once in his six years with the Twins and that came in a 2001 season in which he played in just 118 games. If he finishes spring training batting second, it will be a great excuse to downgrade Ryan Zimmerman and everyone else in the middle of the Nationals' lineup.

Nook Logan will enter spring training as the Nationals' everyday center fielder, manager Manny Acta confirmed on Wednesday.
    Will they win even 50 games this season? Acta had already endorsed Logan earlier this winter, so this comes as absolutely no surprise. That doesn't make it any less disturbing, of course. Ryan Church, Chris Snelling, Alex Escobar and Kory Casto will all battle for at-bats in left field if Logan lasts the spring in center.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    LOL, Guzman in the 2 hole.
    lol, Logan being given the CF job without even justifying it.

Acta's been a little sucky so far.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Guzman in the two hole is a nightmare and already claiming Logan as the everyday CFer is not smart at all. He is no better than Church especially with the bat. Shit, Escobar did ten times better than Logan with just as many ABs. Sure he got hurt but if you are going to go on small doses, Escobar is more suitable.

MLB ERA
    Alex Escobar, recovering from a separated shoulder, should be able to serve as a designated hitter during early spring training games and start playing the outfield by mid-March.
    The later start is not going to help his chances of securing playing time in left or center. Escobar is out of options, so he'll probably make the team. However, his fantasy value should be pretty limited until the team gives up on Nook Logan.

MLB ERA
    The Rockies' initial offer to Brian Lawrence, submitted on Thursday, was a minor league deal.
    The Padres have also offered a minor league contract. The Pirates and Mariners may have better offers on the table, but Lawrence has indicated he'd like to pitch in the NL West. "We have been waiting for Colorado," agent Page Odle said. "We will now start reviewing everything."

MLB ERA
    Even after acquiring Rodrigo Lopez, the Rockies would still like to bring in free agent Brian Lawrence to contend for a rotation spot.
    If they're successful, they could then trade Josh Fogg or Byung-Hyun Kim.

The Pirates improved their offer to Brian Lawrence on Thursday, likely to a major league contract.
    The Rockies and Padres are offering minor league deals. Still, it's believed Lawrence would prefer to pitch for an NL West team. He should make a decision soon.

MLB ERA
    Nationals agreed to terms with outfielder Chris Snelling on a one-year, $450,000 contract.
    Snelling, who has 152 major league at-bats since debuting five years ago, was only arbitration eligible because of all of the time he's spent on the DL. The 25-year-old will battle for a starting job in left field this spring.

According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Rockies aren't optimistic about signing Brian Lawrence.
    The Rockies, like the Padres, offered only a minor league deal initially. The Pirates and Mariners are also interested in the right-hander.

Nationals agreed to terms with RHP Shawn Hill, OF Tony Blanco, OF Frank Diaz, 1B Larry Broadway, 2B Bernie Castro, C Jesus Flores, RHP Brett Campbell, RHP Beltran Perez, RHP Levale Speigner, RHP Jermaine Van Buren, LHP Matt Chico and LHP Mike O'Connor on one-year contracts.
    Quite a change for the Nationals, as Jim Bowden usually likes to spread these signings out as much as he can. Hill and O'Connor are top candidates for spots in Washington's rotation this season. Perez and Chico could also compete for openings. Perez would probably be in the pen if he doesn't make it as a starter, while Chico would continue his development in Triple-A.

MLB ERA
    Nick Johnson had two screws removed yesterday from the right femur he broke in September.
    Johnson has been slow to recover from the broken leg and might not be ready for Opening Day.

Agent Page Odle discussed free agent Brian Lawrence with the Mariners and is confident the right-hander would compete for a rotation spot right away if he signed with the team.
    "He's looking for the best opportunity to pitch in the majors [this] year," Odle said. "I think the Mariners' reason for signing him would definitely be to compete for their fifth spot. Brian just has to show he's healthy." The Pirates, Rockies and Padres are also after Lawrence.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Nationals signed first baseman Travis Lee to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    The best he could do? As a fellow left-handed hitter, Lee shouldn't have any role on the Nationals if Nick Johnson is healthy. He'd be a better choice than Robert Fick or Larry Broadway to start at first base if Johnson begins the season on the DL. Maybe he'll have a little fantasy value during April.
    Its is to my understanding that Johnson won't be ready for Opening Day so this is a good move for at least a month. Then they can release him or trade him or whatever.

MLB ERA
    Nationals signed first baseman Travis Lee to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    The best he could do? As a fellow left-handed hitter, Lee shouldn't have any role on the Nationals if Nick Johnson is healthy. He'd be a better choice than Robert Fick or Larry Broadway to start at first base if Johnson begins the season on the DL. Maybe he'll have a little fantasy value during April.

Nationals agreed to terms with infielder Felipe Lopez on a one-year, $3.9 million contract.
    It wasn't a tough settlement, as Lopez asked for $4.1 million and was offered $3.7 million in arbitration. The former Red will take over as the Nationals' second baseman with Jose Vidro gone. He's expected to be the club's regular leadoff hitter.

Nationals signed infielder Jose Macias to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Macias makes Tony Womack look like Bernie Castro. Or maybe it's Castro look like Womack. Either way, the Nationals shouldn't have any use for him. The 34-year-old utilityman hit .229/.264/.344 in his lone season in Japan.

Nationals signed first baseman Jorge Toca to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Toca, a Cuban defector and former Mets prospect, spent part of last season in Mexico. He hit .329/.354/.548 in 22 games while playing for the Cardinals' Triple-A club. The 32-year-old shouldn't be a candidate to make the Nationals.

Nationals signed outfielder Abraham Nunez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Nunez hit .279/.368/.495 with 12 homers in 283 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno last season. He’s going to have a tough time getting another chance to make it as a fifth outfield, but the Nationals offer as good of an opportunity as any team.

Nationals signed LHP Arnie Munoz to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Munoz looked like a very good relief prospect at times while in the White Sox system, but he hasn’t made any progress at all the last two years. He’s still just 24, but he now seems like a long shot to make it.

Nationals signed LHP Luis Martinez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Martinez had a 3.82 ERA and a 163/69 K/BB ratio in 221 1/3 innings while starting games in Japan the last two years. The former Brewers prospect could be a sleeper candidate to act as the Nationals’ fifth starter.

Nationals signed RHP Jesus Colome to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Colome’s stuff isn’t as electric as it once was, but he can still throw pretty hard and he might be an adequate middle reliever in the NL even if he continues to walk a batter every other inning. He’d have to show better command in order to be truly helpful.

Nationals re-signed outfielder George Lombard, RHP Anastacio Martinez and infielder Melvin Dorta to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
    Lombard appeared in 20 games for the Nationals last season, but he got just 21 at-bats and collected three hits. The veteran hit .302/.392/.524 for Triple-A New Orleans.

Nationals sent outfielder Tony Blanco outright to Triple-A Columbus.
    Spending much of 2005 on the Nationals’ bench after being taken in the Rule 5 draft did absolutely nothing for Blanco’s chances. He was sent all the way back to Single-A Potomac last year, got hurt and did little when he was in the lineup. He shouldn’t have lasted as long on the Nationals’ 40-man roster as he did.

Nationals manager Manny Acta said he doesn't see Mike O'Connor (elbow) being ready to compete for a rotation spot this spring.
    O'Connor had surgery on his left elbow in early November to repair a small cartilage defect. He's not going to resume throwing before early February, so it appears likely that he'll open the season on the DL. "We're going to take our time with him. I mean, he pitched well enough for this ballclub last year that he doesn't need to come out there and rush and try to impress me," Acta said.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Nationals signed infielder Jose Macias to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Macias makes Tony Womack look like Bernie Castro. Or maybe it's Castro look like Womack. Either way, the Nationals shouldn't have any use for him. The 34-year-old utilityman hit .229/.264/.344 in his lone season in Japan.
    .229 in Japan? It amazes me that even the Nationals would take a flyer on this guy. Wow.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Nationals signed first baseman Jorge Toca to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Toca, a Cuban defector and former Mets prospect, spent part of last season in Mexico. He hit .329/.354/.548 in 22 games while playing for the Cardinals' Triple-A club. The 32-year-old shouldn't be a candidate to make the Nationals.

Nationals signed outfielder Abraham Nunez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Nunez hit .279/.368/.495 with 12 homers in 283 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno last season. He’s going to have a tough time getting another chance to make it as a fifth outfield, but the Nationals offer as good of an opportunity as any team.

Nationals signed LHP Arnie Munoz to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Munoz looked like a very good relief prospect at times while in the White Sox system, but he hasn’t made any progress at all the last two years. He’s still just 24, but he now seems like a long shot to make it.

Nationals signed LHP Luis Martinez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Martinez had a 3.82 ERA and a 163/69 K/BB ratio in 221 1/3 innings while starting games in Japan the last two years. The former Brewers prospect could be a sleeper candidate to act as the Nationals’ fifth starter.

Nationals signed RHP Jesus Colome to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Colome’s stuff isn’t as electric as it once was, but he can still throw pretty hard and he might be an adequate middle reliever in the NL even if he continues to walk a batter every other inning. He’d have to show better command in order to be truly helpful.

Nationals re-signed outfielder George Lombard, RHP Anastacio Martinez and infielder Melvin Dorta to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
    Lombard appeared in 20 games for the Nationals last season, but he got just 21 at-bats and collected three hits. The veteran hit .302/.392/.524 for Triple-A New Orleans.

Nationals sent outfielder Tony Blanco outright to Triple-A Columbus.
    Spending much of 2005 on the Nationals’ bench after being taken in the Rule 5 draft did absolutely nothing for Blanco’s chances. He was sent all the way back to Single-A Potomac last year, got hurt and did little when he was in the lineup. He shouldn’t have lasted as long on the Nationals’ 40-man roster as he did.

Nationals manager Manny Acta said he doesn't see Mike O'Connor (elbow) being ready to compete for a rotation spot this spring.
    O'Connor had surgery on his left elbow in early November to repair a small cartilage defect. He's not going to resume throwing before early February, so it appears likely that he'll open the season on the DL. "We're going to take our time with him. I mean, he pitched well enough for this ballclub last year that he doesn't need to come out there and rush and try to impress me," Acta said.

Agent Diego Bentz said Monday that the Pirates are one of "several" teams talking to him about Tony Armas Jr.
    The Mets have also displayed some interest in Armas. The Blue Jays lost interest in the 28-year-old after signing John Thomson.

Nationals agreed to terms with outfielder Alex Escobar on a one-year, $530,000 contract.
    Escobar asked for $590,000 in arbitration, while the Nationals offered $500,000. Since he's still recovering from shoulder surgery, Escobar is not going to be ready to play the outfield at the beginning of the spring, something that could prevent him from moving up the depth chart. He'll likely be the Nationals' fourth or fifth outfielder.

Agent Fernando Cuza said Tony Armas Jr. is close to choosing his new team.
    Cuza indicated that it wouldn't be the Mets. The Pirates are the only team known to have much interest, but they may be focusing on Jeff Weaver at the moment. The Mariners, Reds, Devil Rays, Rangers, Astros and Diamondbacks are some other teams that could be looking at Armas.

MLB ERA
    The Pirates may concentrate on landing Tony Armas Jr. after failing to sign free agent Jeff Weaver.
    Pittsburgh is the only team in the league yet to sign a free agent to a major league deal. Armas barely deserves one at this point, yet he'll probably get around $3 million anyway. If he signs with the Pirates, he'll battle Shawn Chacon for a rotation spot.

MLB ERA
    John Patterson said on Sunday night his right forearm is 100 percent and he is ready for the 2007 season.
    Patterson probably could have attempted a return in September under other circumstances, so he should be fine now. "My arm feels great," he said. "I've haven't had any issues with my arm at all. It's really exciting to know that I got it behind me. The strength in my arm feels great. It's like it's never happened." A strong spring would make him quite the sleeper in mixed leagues, even though wins figure to be a problem for him.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast