Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: In Season Free Agents - Suggestions

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Brown (Indians)
    Ok, I give up with the "no minor league contracts during the season".
    But I'm still for blind bidding in off season FA.
    Me too... that is how we handle off season FA. I didn't do that with this last FA period, because it was filled with old players that most teams don't have any use for. A blind bidding period would only slow down the start of the season. I think we all want to get on with the season... I'm working really hard to get everything worked out so that we can do that. The regular free agent period will work a lot differently. There will be four segments to Free Agency, but these are players that everybody cares about. I just don't think many teams care about the Kenny Loftons and Moises Alous of the world.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Ill tell you know the MLC are no big deal. But i would suggest having the Minor League FAs then.
    I could set that up if you guys want it. I only changed it because people started complaining about their minor leaguers becoming free agents.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I was one of them Crazy. but its beginning to make more sense now.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Well, minor league FA's would be fine I suppose. But, I doubt the majority of the league wants them. If anything, that is something that should be voted on before being kept or discarded.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    If anything, that is something that should be voted on before being kept or discarded.
    Yeah...I wouldn't make a change like that without taking a poll on it first. If someone wants to start a poll...feel free. Otherwise...it may take me a day or two to get to it. That's on my list of things to do, but more importantly I'm trying to do some things with the league file to prepare for the season.

BTW...if someone else starts a poll... please make it an open poll so that we can see who voted which way...thanks

Bench Warmer Lou Brown (Indians)'s Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Ok, I give up with the "no minor league contracts during the season". But I'm still for blind bidding in off season FA.
    Damn it, another typo.
    But I'm still for blind bidding in IN season FA.

Ill tell you know the MLC are no big deal. But i would suggest having the Minor League FAs then.
    I'm completely for that!

Ok, let's forget about the MLC contracts to young players.
    How about these:
    1) IN SEASON Free Agency is handled via blind bidding
    2) Minor League FA is ON.
    3) Players over 28 may not be offered MLC.
    Indians GM, Angels blogger

my question is...if we can send in our lineups via downloading the file and sending it back...what is to stop someone from altering there guy's or anyone elses for that matter and then sending it back to Crazy without him ever knowing?

Damn it, another typo.
    But I'm still for blind bidding in IN season FA.

I'm completely for that!

Ok, let's forget about the MLC contracts to young players.
    How about these:
    1) IN SEASON Free Agency is handled via blind bidding
    2) Minor League FA is ON.
    3) Players over 28 may not be offered MLC.
    3) over 28? why not...there are plenty of shitty 29-40 year olds who dont deserve anything more than a MLC

MLB ERA
    my question is...if we can send in our lineups via downloading the file and sending it back...what is to stop someone from altering there guy's or anyone elses for that matter and then sending it back to Crazy without him ever knowing?
    I have a password on the league file. Certain things can only be done by me. For example, nobody can edit player ratings.

awww. ok, im totally fine with it then.

Rookie ERA
    3) over 28? why not...there are plenty of shitty 29-40 year olds who dont deserve anything more than a MLC
    This should prevent teams from hogging replacement players in the minors.
    It's a common strategy to offer every player out there a MLC so that one has replacements in case of an injury and to trade them to other teams that desperately need someone.
    That's exactly what happened yesterday and while I can understand that you don't want to offer a 22 year old two star prospect a major league contract, this is a totally reasonable rule for older players.
    If you think you might need that player someday, spent some money on him ($316,000 usually, so that's not really much, less than 0,5% of the salary cap). If not, leave him out there for a team who might do need him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    How does on team know if the other team needs him or not?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

we could simply number the amount of MLC's offered per normal sim (at Crazy's discretion) and not come up with an arbitrary age in which you cant sign guys to MLCs

MLB ERA
    This should prevent teams from hogging replacement players in the minors.
    It's a common strategy to offer every player out there a MLC so that one has replacements in case of an injury and to trade them to other teams that desperately need someone.
    That's exactly what happened yesterday and while I can understand that you don't want to offer a 22 year old two star prospect a major league contract, this is a totally reasonable rule for older players.
    If you think you might need that player someday, spent some money on him ($316,000 usually, so that's not really much, less than 0,5% of the salary cap). If not, leave him out there for a team who might do need him.
    I see where you're coming from Lou...I do, but is that really what happened yesterday. The ML players that were signed may all start the season on the ML rosters of the teams that signed them. I don't know if there would have been a lot of changes if there was blind bidding. Would Alou really get more than what Tennessee paid him?

Rookie ERA
    I know I would have paid up to $5M or maybe more for Wells (I know I offered less, but that was because of the ficofise rule.)

And I don't really care which rule is used to stop GMs from hogging players (reducing the minor leagues' maximum players would be another one, for example) as long as it's effective.

How does on team know if the other team needs him or not?
    Doesn't matter. You need him, give him a contract. You don't, leave him.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast