Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Random Ramblings

Rookie ERA

Re: 2014 Random Ramblings

I am so embarassed to even be the GM of this team... at least I get the #2 pick... Leif Shauer needs to hurry up and be the savior... if only he could pitch.
    S3SL: Cincinnati Reds GM 2014-present
    TSSL: Oakland A's GM 2006-present
    TPSL: San Francisco Baseball Giants 2007-present

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dunno about you guys, but I'm really going to feel for bjd when Schauer loses talent.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Dunno about you guys, but I'm really going to feel for bjd when Schauer loses talent.
    Die.

Wouldn't shock me though...
    S3SL: Cincinnati Reds GM 2014-present
    TSSL: Oakland A's GM 2006-present
    TPSL: San Francisco Baseball Giants 2007-present

MLB ERA

Saturday 10/7/2014 : CHA: Chad Robinson pitches a NO-HITTER against Toronto!!

Dam, I hope you thank Jamie Vermilyea for giving you guys a "walk-off" into the playoffs. On behalf of Jamie, you're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

how about this ending to a season:
    -Baltimore loses in 12 innings after scoring 2 runs in the top of the 12th, they give up 3 in the bottom of the inning.
    -White Sox pitch a no-hitter against Baltimore, then hit a 9th inning, 2-run walk-off home run against Toronto's closer to launch themselves into the playoffs.

What a wild-card race, and what an ending. Storybook.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    -Baltimore loses in 12 innings after scoring 2 runs in the top of the 12th, they give up 3 in the bottom of the inning.
    -White Sox pitch a no-hitter against Baltimore, then hit a 9th inning, 2-run walk-off home run against Toronto's closer to launch themselves into the playoffs.

Dam, owes me big time for my improbable comeback.

Tuesday 9/19/2014 :
    Harley Booker has lost some power to the gaps... (there goes my #1 pick)

I swear to god if you kill off Francisco Torre, Ill kill the OOTP Gods.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

OMFG, prospects lose talent...that's what happens. At least solid guys under 30 aren't dropping like flies. For every "wah wah" there is a guy that gains talent. Honestly, I truly understand why Crazy and others abandoned their leagues...I guess I'll turn all talent slyders to 0, leave the draft crap, and we'll have no talent at all in the league. That'll be fun...oh wait, then people will just ***** about that...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post

Wow, I didn't even realize Chad Robinson threw a no hitter to end the season...and to think my 907 run offense would've let it go for naught but for a walk off HR. Kind of funny that he walked 7 in that game. I like that my stars of the future (Robinson, McClure) got me in.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Dam, owes me big time for my improbable comeback.
    Obviously putting Demaria in was the key, he's won 11 straight decisions. Why not just put him in near the end of every game? You'd win 100.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Demaria is 13-1 all time.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    OMFG, prospects lose talent...that's what happens. At least solid guys under 30 aren't dropping like flies. For every "wah wah" there is a guy that gains talent. Honestly, I truly understand why Crazy and others abandoned their leagues...I guess I'll turn all talent slyders to 0, leave the draft crap, and we'll have no talent at all in the league. That'll be fun...oh wait, then people will just ***** about that...
    What he said. Before I started running my league, I'd prolly be inclined to complain about the utter lack of development for my team. But that's just how the game works, guys, none of us really know how to maximize realism so we all just have to roll with the punches.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just blame the OOTP Gods, not Prov. They've hated me since the beginning.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Demaria is 13-1 all time.
    See? 100 wins year in and year out, all you have to do is put the guy in late.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    What he said. Before I started running my league, I'd prolly be inclined to complain about the utter lack of development for my team. But that's just how the game works, guys, none of us really know how to maximize realism so we all just have to roll with the punches.
    I think sometimes people just want to vent about their prospect losing talent. Anyone who isn't insanely lucky and has played a season of OOTP knows how much it sucks, especially when the player who loses talent is part of your long-term plans, but just making a comment about it isn't necessarily bashing the settings. I might make an angry comment in a thread like this about a prospect losing talent, but that's all it is for me, and afterward I move on and try to come up with a new plan. I agree that some people have been ridiculous about it though, I don't really like that.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
    I think sometimes people just want to vent about their prospect losing talent. Anyone who isn't insanely lucky and has played a season of OOTP knows how much it sucks, especially when the player who loses talent is part of your long-term plans, but just making a comment about it isn't necessarily bashing the settings. I might make an angry comment in a thread like this about a prospect losing talent, but that's all it is for me, and afterward I move on and try to come up with a new plan. I agree that some people have been ridiculous about it though, I don't really like that.
    see, that would be fine (the first part) and understandable as I do that myself, but this season there has been more *****ing and moaning than ever IMHO. I do think some people don't appreciate the fact that this league has an inordinate amount of prospect talent and the amount of time I put into editing the draft class every year. I'm getting 3.5 specs in the 6th round!!! That's a 1st round pick in some leagues. There is bound to be more talent loss when there is more talent. If there weren't so many talented prospects no one would be *****ing about talent loss because there wouldn't be any talent to be lost.

I'm sure the settings have a little to do with talent loss, but realistically there is too much talent in the league. I don't think people realize, but the settings also help prospects develop quicker, which is important to me. I've had guys develop in less than 2 years...not every guy, but some and this has happened for many teams. It's a cheap and fair way for everyone to help fill their needs without spending a billion dollars on the crap in free agency. I hate free agency as there is rarely anything good and when there is everyone bids like crazy. This way is more fun to me and fairer.

The worst teams get the best prospects, but everyone gets something (well, a few things useful). If you don't get what you want, then you trade for it. That is what makes the league fun for me. Anyone can shell out a ridiculous amount of money for a player. Developing and trading for talent is where skill comes in...more so than free agency. Then it's just a matter of keeping your core together...if you can't or don't want to, then you make trades.

Yes, prospects have lost talent, but just as many, if not more, have gained...that's just the way it is. I'm not calling Nick out, but look at Felix Hernandez in TPSL...that guy was completely filled out and has lost talent 4 times! He's shit now. That type of talent loss hasn't happened here. Prospects have lost talent and older guys. Older guys are lasting longer, but appear to be taking talent hits around 34 in a lot of cases...they're still useful, but that makes sense to me. You can't expect your studs to stay level talent-wise 25 - 35...they're going to start to drop a little bit in their mid-30s. That's just life man. If a player of a Felix-type lost talent here, I'd look at it and consider fixing something possibly.

I've been very accommodating in this league. I try to keep it fun. I have been simming nonstop since I took over (end of 2009) and I almost always sim on time...I can't remember a time when I didn't. If I **** up someones changes, I make it up to them by boosting a player (I know I've done this for a few people...they know who they are). I don't **** up very often with that shit, but I fix it. I do this for free...well, actually I pay to be able to do this and I don't mind doing that all. But I want it to be fun. I put too much time into this for it to not be fun for me. So if you don't like this league for whatever reason, then just leave. No hard feelings. And this is not directed at anyone in particular...just explaining and venting.

Thank you all for you participation and for making the league what is. I do enjoy it and I want to keep enjoying so let's do that please.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast