Texas trades:
    3.5P 3B Timo Pena, MLC

Florida trades:
    3.0 LF Jeremy Hermida, $10,000,000
    $3,500,000 in 2014
    $2,500,000 in 2015
    $2,500,000 in 2016
    $2,000,000 in 2017

Hermida's new talent rankings are scary at those prices, but I'm not giving up very much to get him. Pretty much a salary dump.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Texas - Florida

pass

Slight change, its $2,500,000 cash in 2015, not $3,000,000. Doubt that'll affect any votes though.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pena sucks, but even though Hermida's ratings are currently good it's a long term lucrative contract and his potential isn't great. Pass.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Florida has negative cash right now...how the hell do I know it won't be like that again? you can't send cash if you have negative...never mind $2 - $3.5 mil...I'm not sure if I can allow this. Additionally, Mission last lost money 5 out of the last 6 seasons so it's not very likely that he'll have the money to send. Thoughts?

If I can only do one of these trades, I'd rather it be the Qualls one.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I think life would be easier if we did the Qualls trade. Honestly, I trust mission WOULD make the money available, because he's very good about managing his money and that stuff. However, I've thought about making trades where I'd send cash later due to my poor financial situation, and it's just not worth it. You can't forsee your team's earnings for the next however many years he'll be sending you money.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

he hasn't been that good about his money in this league though...I guess it's a moot point in this situation considering Texas doesn't have the money available for FA anyway.

Edit: this is a fail based on the fact that Texas doesn't have the money available to take on the contract. Also, I contacted Mission about that and letting him know that he's not going to be able to send any cash if/when he deals Hermida.

Cool. Sorry for the confusion. Thought adding salary was fine as long as I had enough cash on hand to cover the added salary coming back.

MLB ERA

the game wouldn't have allowed the trade...signing FAs or trading for players takes away from money available for FA. Now, let's say you signed some of your players to ridiculous extensions for next season and that put next year's payroll above your revenue next year...then the game wouldn't subtract money from "cash" to compensate because you didn't have enough revenue. It won't let you add players if you don't have enough though. The "cash" is primarily used for signing draft picks and promotional days...it's used for payroll in those situations when your payroll exceeds your revenue...at least that's what it seems based on my experiences with the game.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there ever any way (even just through you playing God-mode) to transfer some money from cash and add it to your "money available for FAs"? Not asking you to do that for me, just curious.

Also for the teams with negative cash like mission has now, shouldn't there be some sort of penalty for that? Like perhaps he can't resign all his arb eligible guys, or can't sign draft picks? I know you've said that you've had to reset a few team's cash to $0 just to sign draft picks. I'd at least be in favor of causing some penalty to the teams that can't manager their own cashflow. Just kicking around some ideas though, not suggesting anything or that you should change the way you've been doing things.

MLB ERA

God-mode...do you mean if I click "edit"? When you do edit on the financial screen it doesn't allow you to change money for extensions or FA money...that's directly related to your revenue (current and previous year I believe) and your payroll...it allows you to edit the "cash" and TV contracts.

I haven't been penalizing those teams as far as signing draft picks...they penalize themselves because if they lose money, they're not going to have much money available for FAs or extensions unless they trade some people. It seems some people try to build up their payroll before they can handle it.

You've been building your financial situation up steadily and it's working out for you. My team shot right out of the gate and has held together financially since...and it all started long before I took over. I had 1 year (2008) where I exceeded slightly and I lost some money...but I made almost $30 mil the season before because my payroll was only in the $70s.

It takes a combination of winning, signing/developing popular players, and utilizing the promotional days...once you get that fan interest up there, you can pretty much max out your situation...making the playoffs and going deep can add a little bonus, too.

KoZ has been pretty good with that...his fan interest is always up there and he only had 1 financial loss season until last season when he cut some guys that were signed long-term. Brownie has built his fan interest up quite a bit from where it started...of course, his payroll is much higher than his revenue from last season and it looks like he's going to lose money again this season (it was very little last year). And you can start to see the impact as he has very little available for FA and extensions...I expect that to go down next year even further. Those are just a few examples.