Thread: Worst Developmental Luck

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Strike 3 Sim League Worst Developmental Luck

Who out there has had worse luck with first round picks?

I took over for Waruv/Fishercat before the 2019 Draft.

2019: Abram Fisher - serviceable #3-#4 in the roto SP
    2020: Robert Plant - crashed and burned. never made the bigs.
    2021: Theodore Butera - crashed control and movement. horrible career ERA
    2022: Mark Robinson - lost movement and has been mediocre ever since
    2023: Sixto DeStefano - crashed control and movement... traded... Zito rehabbed, 1 good year this year, average last year.
    2024: Calvin Manno - lost movement and possibly control... I think he was 10-8-8. Nick could rehab still, but 5.71 career ERA so far through 2 seasons.
    2025: Eloy Palos - crashed stuff and movement... worthless now
    2026: Jon Vides - drafted at 10-7-8... crashed movement... looks like a bust.
    2026: Franklin Schulller - was a 5.0 but crashed for Florida and is likely worthless
    2027: Adan Young - auto picked...was a 4.5 IIRC and crashed and is now worthless
    2028: Lonnie Mooney - 5 endurance SP... so far so good
    2029: Matthew Pendergrast - was 7-9-8, just shit to bed and is now a 7-8-6...

After 10 years... Not one single All star and the only decent MLB guy, I traded.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Worst Developmental Luck

I'm not sure but let me type it out and see.. I know I had a real miserable stretch.

2011: C Terry Fortuna, he lost all of his gap power but gained a bunch of homerun power and now is likely a hall of famer for the reds; traded for Matt Belisle

2012: SS Jimmie Klingensmith aka Nick Coyle, has had a long and solid career, was dealt to Toronto

2013: MR Andres Paredes, he and the 2nd rounder Montalto later became staples of the pen

2014: SP Gaby Bosque, died the very next sim

2015: CF Eugene Evanoff, had a solid career for the tigers

2016: RF Luis Kelley, had a decent but nothing spectacular career

===

2017: RF Eddie Burpee, excellent bat against righties, career .323 hitter, hit over .300 with every team he's played for

2018: C Joseph Hafner, was a good pick but immediately died after being dealt to Florida

2019: LF Alejo Cabello, was pretty good and was dealt but lost talent while deal sat in council costing me the legendary Tony Montero. Was later dealt to the cardinals, but is nothing more than a 4th outfielder

2020: P Gary Seim, lost talent out of the gate and is no longer in the league

2021: MR/SP John Davis, was a nice pick but his movement talent crashed and turned him into a mediocre major leaguer. He did develop enough to be a SP but he gives up too many homeruns

2022: SP Jc Campos, died almost immediately after he was dealt to the yankees (continuing Hammer's bad luck)

2023: SP James Hartline, crashed after being dealt with Cabello for Lawrence Hicks.

2024: SP John Pascua, terrific draft pick cause he started the next year but his movement bit the dust and I dealt him to KC

2025: 1B Jason Sherman, 12th overall pick didn't last long and will never be a major leaguer at this point

2026: SP Robbie Olsen, 5th overall pick has led league twice in strikeouts, won a the Cy Young despite losing control talent (setting up for hilarious stats like a 7 walk 12 strikeout game)

2027: 1B Bill Toothman, my first draft pick that gained talent and didn't die right away but was dealt to KC

2028: LF Donald Negron, the Robert Gully clone traded to Florida to be with track mate Colonal Klink

2029: MR George Mills, he's a greedy bastard commanding 1.3 mill on a signing bonus since he was the 29th pick but still remains intact ..for now..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

my luck is coming later, wait for it
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA

I've had some pretty rotten luck until more recently. Although, with all of the failure 1st rounders, I have had some nice late round guys develop-- usually with other teams, ufortunately...

I think I took over in 2012. But I didn't make my 2012 draft pick, I know this much (Tyler Hodo, who actually, was one of my best players throughout my time with the team to now). I think I drafted Erazo the next season in 2013, who would be Hodo's running mate during the few years my team made the playoffs.

So starting in 2013:
    Round 1 pick: CF Jose Erazo. Signing Bonus: $1,326,000
    Had a nice career- primarily with OAK, as he was one of the few guys I refused to trade for a long time. Only made the ASG once. Hit 42 home runs in his best year (oddly enough, he wasn't an all star that season). Dealt him to Philly in a large package, 2 players still being with my team and making contributions, and one being my best player period. Jose Erazo, my first pick ever, really was the best pick I ever made. Sadly.

2014:
    Round 1 pick: P James Nelsen. Signing Bonus: $2,323,000
    Worst pick ever in my history came the next year. I selected Nelson 4th, but also was picking for the Reds GM at 5 and nabbed him McCullough. The rest is history. Oh, Nelson was dealt and died real hard for General. Had maybe one good year in his entire career.

2015:
    Round 1 pick: 3B Bruce Rybicki. Signing Bonus: $3,120,000
    Traded for an aging Ronald Belizario (a couple other future starters went to TEX in this deal, too). Belizario was nice for 3 years for me, no doubt. But Rybicki is already a HOFer and he's only 33.

2016:
    Round 1 pick: P Gil Davila. Signing Bonus: $2,910,000
    Lost talent somewhere along the lines. Was in a big deal with DET, then wound up in CIN. Has had a nice career.

2017:
    Round 1 pick: SS Fede Carrion. Signing Bonus: $1,050,000
    In the Davila deal I think. Had some run with DET for awhile.

2018:
    Round 1 pick: P Clarence Johnson. Signing Bonus: $505,000
    Dealt him to Baltimore and he died immediately. Don't remember if he ever made it to the majors, but he's retired now.

2019:
    Round 1 pick: P Timo Criado. Signing Bonus: $1,261,000
    Dealt to BAL in the Clarence Johnson deal... has always had real nice ratings, but never put it together. For what it's worth, James Loney also went to BAL in that deal (back to BAL, yeah), and Trevor Richards came my way. What a trade.

2020:
    Round 1 pick: P Alfonso Solano. Signing Bonus: $1,100,000
    Dealt him for an old, less talented, but still effective Juan Faria. Faria won 17 games for me one year, but I forgot to re-sign him or something, and he hit FA. Solano died for hammer a sim or two after the trade, but had some decent MLB time anyway (mostly mopup/5th starter bs)

2021:
    Round 1 pick: P Higinio Morales. Signing Bonus: $2,277,000
    Traded this guy to Mission for Harold Oestrich or some shit. Never did much in his big league time, and probably won't be anything more than a reliever if he gets to the bigs again.

2022:
    Round 1 pick: 1B Daniel Mitchell. Signing Bonus: $764,400
    Rare good luck. No defense whatsoever, but at only 25 he already has 1033 hits on his regime. Topped 100 rbis 3 times.

2023:
    Round 1 pick: P Arthur Desrosiers. Signing Bonus: $1,664,000
    Was up with the team by 2014. I probably rushed him, but I needed a pitcher and figured why not. My picks didn't develop much at the time anyway. Had two years with me, showing good flashes, and at some point lost some talent. I dealt him to PIT in the Jared Sanor deal (uggh) and it looks like he's already regained some talent. Only a matter of time before his movement boosts to 7 and he's a nice MLB starter, since he's still only 25.

2024:
    Round 1 pick: P Jared Sanor. Signing Bonus: $1,920,000
    **** Jared Sanor. I didn't make the pick that year admittedly, but if I did I would have never chosen Jared Sanor. 4th overall, I think a lot of picks after him panned out a lot better in the early going. By age 26 (he was 24 or 25 out of the draft) he hadn't developed at all, so I dealt him to Zito in what was a very fair deal, all things considered. He took off and is a real nice pitcher now. The players I got back weren't bad at all, but obviously I lost big on this.

A bonus from that same year:
    Round 2 pick: P Florencio Preciado. Signing Bonus: $574,000
    I knew he'd develop, I just didn't feel like waiting. He was too young not to fill out eventually.

2025:
    Round 1 pick: 2B Freddy Provenzano. Signing Bonus: $1,377,500
    Dealt him for Luis Reyes, and even if Provenzano fills out (which he hasn't so far), I don't think I'll regret it.

2026:
    Round 1 pick: P James Wallace. Signing Bonus: $3,120,000
    Considering the fact that Olsen went directly after Wallace, and this was an auto pick (I wasn't at the draft), it's disappointing that the cpu ****ed that one up. Wallace is very nice, and never lost any talent (knock on wood) but as a 7END 2-pitch SP, I'd still take Olsen-- even with the control loss...

2027:
    Round 1 pick: P Fred Boehme. Signing Bonus: $1,274,000
    Has a nice minor league career so far, but lost control talent and got rocked in his lone appearance as a reliever at the big league level. Young enough to be useful if the control goes back up, otherwise maybe a mopup man.

2028:
    Round 1 pick: RF Caleb Rodriguez. Signing Bonus: $3,000,000
    Still young at 23, and talented, but hasn't developed much if at all.

2029:
    Round 1 pick: C Thomas Lor. Signing Bonus: $2,880,000
    Only 20 and has moved some actuals along since being drafted. I'd bat him leadoff if he fills out as is. I hope he can gain some power talent, though, and be more of a middle of the order threat.

Two of my best picks, both still with the team, were both 2nd rounders:
    2019: Round 2 pick: P Lloyd Hudson. Signing Bonus: $406,000
    2020: Round 2 pick: RF Loren Moyer. Signing Bonus: $161,000

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sanor was pure luck, I think. It was just a random thing with late bloomers, I was just fine with him as a 6-6-7 piece to my pen and he did well his first year in that capacity.

Desrosiers won't be any good, certainly not what he could have been had he not collapsed early on. I wouldn't worry about him, he's a reliever at best.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

2010: RF Joel Everett- Never made the roster
    2011: SP Gabe Sala- Well he did get to the playoffs once but never reached his potential, became Ramon Crespo
    2012: 3B Ricky Ornelas- 2056 career hits, 360 career HRs, 216 SBs, only 55 CS. Didn't help my team until I traded back for him in 2024.
    2013: 1B Michael Bartel- Won his only batting title in 2016, career .307 hitter.
    2014: SP/MR Julio Ramirez Jr.- Missed all of 2015 due to injury and lost talent and didnt reach majors until 2018 and his played sparingly.
    2015: MR Pedro Rios- Lost talent to the point of 10-4-6, up and down in his career (4.07 ERA)
    2016: MR Bruce Hirt- Had 2 two season enders, career 5.03 ERA, and near 1.5 WHIP
    2017: CA Bernard Seth - Has had a solid career for the Yankees.
    2018: SP William Joyce- Probably been better off if he didnt have to deal with a laughing stock of S3SL right now.
    2019: 1B Clemente Hill- Career .309 hitter, but only a .441 SLG.
    2020: SP Ulysses Wolters- After strong 1st 2 years: 5.76 ERA since 2025.
    2021: 3B Richard Vanvalkenberg- League MVP, 44 or more HRs in each of the last 5 seasons.
    2022: 1B Joseph Orsini- Brought Lance Uppercut, who had a solid time in ARI and PIT. His career OPS: .942
    2023: SS Earle Olson- He will be a good player in MIN but he brought Alex Morabito.
    2024: 2B Micheal Kelch- Won 2 rings in Boston, Career .390 OPS, but .364 SLG.
    2025: SP James Atterberry- Made ML as a 18 yr old. Lost talent, current AAAA player.
    2026: MR Michael McCloskey- Maybe if he develops near his talent we can figure out what he can do.
    2027: SP Pablo Blazquez- Brought Arthur Schlosser, He died in FLA's system.
    2028: SP Lazaro Sotelo- The jury is out on him right now.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Twins Twins First Rounders

Took over for a conglomeration of GMs of the Twins in Sept 2009.

2010: Round 1 pick: 1B Milo Kotter.
    Won an MVP, Sure fire HOF with 524 homers. Glad he didnt go #1.

2011: Round 1 pick: CF Alex Morabito.
    The greatest all around hitter in the league (non Mission created). The Resume speaks for itself.

Other Notable Picks: 6th Round Pick Ramon Dapena.
    Solid career, late bloomer, gained talent, lost talent to injury, regained late.

2nd round pick: Ramon Valdovinos. Traded to Detroit i think.

9th and 10th round picks David Claypoole and Melvin Moses were traded for a couple pieces of the World Series run.

2012: Traded First and Second Round picks as part of a package that brought CA Frank Collum from Texas.

2013: First round pick Michael "Hellbound" Wimbley traded to Cincinnati for P.J.Bevis. Had a checkered career as a reliever. Lost Movement and never had a lot to begin with I think he was like 10 9 6 draft day.

3rd Round Pick Reggie Martinez boomed to 7 10 10. Never came close to that. Traded a bunch of times in his career. Part of the trade that brought that bum Melvin Polson to Minnesota.

2014: Monty Jackson. Had a very solid career. Career OPS .831. Traded in a last ditch effort to reopen a closed window and traded for Mike McC.

2nd round pick: Carlos Zaragoza Traded to Arizona for Dustin Moseley. Got my ring out of this deal.

2015: Emilio Olvera. Not sure if he had any sort of career.

2nd Round pick: Billy Bozek fell victim to a numbers game at that time. Traded to Toronto.

2016: John Carleton. Did he have any sort of a career?

2nd Round Pick: Carlos Espinosa. Traded as part of a package for CL Kagitarou Shunko. Shunko Bombed horribly in Minny. Espinosa's been a solid ph for SF the last few years.

2017: Alan Craig: Traded to someone shortly after the draft for probably pitching. Lost track of him, I think he might have ended up with Saber for a long time in Anaheim.

2nd round pick: Julian Rousseau was traded had some sort of MLB career I think in Arizona.

2018: Herman Ripley: Never developed.
    3rd round pick Leo Varela served me well as a pinch hitter. Now in Detroit on an MLC even though his bat would be good on a bunch of benches.

2019: Juan Bonilla. Still had Degroat/Dapena thought he'd be a waste. Traded for Shunko had an average career in the west (Ari/SF).

7th round pick Peter Spinner: One fishing expedition I wish I hadnt made. Been a very good player for Toronto that I got very little in return for.

2020: Samuel Barahona: The future at one point. He was suppose to be the cornerstone of the rebirth. Boomed early and never reached. Lost talent a couple years later. Still on FA but a shell of his former self.

4th round Lloyd McCarville: Had the best career of all the draft picks. Found a niche in the pen and this new era.

2021: Daniel "The Straw Man" Wade: DH for most of his career. Always been at the top of the lineup since 2022. Almost mirrors another lack of range 2b that I had.

2022: Thomas Weiss: Stopgap during the dark years between Degroat to Ramirez rotation eras. FA for 2 years now.

2023: Johnnie Maselli. Finally turned the corner into the top of the rotation type starter I hoped he'd become. Was drafted 21st overall. I think he was like 7 8 8 ish at time of draft.

Some unfinished products still capable of making an impact at some point.

2024: Justin Hickmon. My Edwin Encarncion!

7th Round Pick: Ramon Omara blossomed into a very strong reliever.

2025: Twins from another mother Carl Ybanez and Jon St. John both boosted early and only having room for 1 most likely. Traded Ybanez to Boston. Probably the best 2 round draft I've had.

2026: Emilio Lizardo has made strides but still comes up short of the Morabito/Kotter wings of Twins lure.

Some Work in Progresses from this draft. Christopher Reyna could still become a solid contributor with his current talents & only 21. 3rd round pick Jason Madewell was sent in the deal for McCarthy to Boston. had a very solid rookie campaign.

2027: Juan Macdougall Traded to Boston. I always viewed him as another Akridge-esq reliever. Got knocked around this year.

2028: Jacob Dexter: Shocked he fell to 10th. Can't even drink beer legally but can go out there and be a starting pitcher in MLB. Blossomed quickly.

2029: Too early to tell. Players to watch: Juan Rivas, Paul Guthridge. Diego Hernandez has the most chance to make an immediate impact off the bench.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

2004: edward loza - declined almost immediately

2005: robert roth - declined almost immediately

2006: scotty boggs - declined almost immediately

2007: shikitaruo natsuo - made the majors for a brief time, pretty much sucked after a year or two and went goodbye

2008: urbano pereira - declined almost immediately

2009: george gurrolla - declined almost immediately

2010: james amundson - traded to dodgers for howie mcgill... both mcgill and amundson had long very solid careers

2011: ozzie ayala - was in the majors for a while for me, florida, i think i traded him to atlanta before florida, but i ****ed him up irreperably because of injuries and a need for a starter, and he lost pretty much all his control

2012: alfonso cuevas - awesome player, dealt for an even awesomer player in mike mccullough. still in the league, albeit in missions minor leagues on his death bed, but he even had a respectable 2028. borderline hall of famer. 2nd rounder that year was rolland michel, whos still amazing. i dealt him for jose muecke, in a run for a championship, muecke was solid but unspectacular... yet another in a long line of deals ive made that i completely and utterly regret.

2013:

ill finish it later i got shit to do