Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

New Edited Version of Wants and Needs: I removed Rowand as he is asking for nothing less than a five year deal. I also added some guys who have become available. The latest news on players are in Italics.

Scott Rolen-3B: Rolen is quite a gamble and hates authority but I would still love to have the best defensive third baseman I've ever seen in orange and black. The Cards have said that Rolen is available since LaRussa has been resigned and those two do not get along. Scott is coming off another shoulder surgery where last season you could tell it was bothering them. he only hit 8 HRs and 58 RBI with a .268 BA in 112 games. In '06, he hit 22 HRs, 95 RBI and .296 BA. I think he could be had for Lowry and Hennessey with them eating some of the $36 mil he is still owed. Hell we could even throw in Durham and eat all Of Rolen's money if they eat Lowry and Durham's. The Cards need help at second. He only has three years left on his contract which is perfect given his age and health. Rolen and Vizquel would make a great defensive left side. Now for the dreams to burst a little, he has a no-trade clause and wants to go to a contender. Giants will have to make some good moves to show they can be a contender before Rolen waives his clause. The Brewers and Rangers have been rumored to have interest in trading for Rolen.

Miguel Tejada-3B: He has played in the Bay Area so fans already know him and he would reunite with Zito. The shortstop position is available though he might have to play third. Tejada has been asking for a trade for a while and isn't happy in Baltimore. Tejada makes $26 million over the next two years left on his contract. The Giants would be getting younger and more production at the postion. His 2007 stats were .296/.357/.442 with 18 HRs and 81 RBI with just 55 SOs. Problem is the O's still want him so we would have to dazzle them. The Giants and Astros are real players for Tejada according to SI.com.

Chris Duncan-1B: This is just speculation on my part basically because of the rocky situation in St. Louis. LaRussa looks to walk with Jocketty gone and if that happens, Dave Duncan is likely to leave too. If so, Duncan would not be too happy and could push for a trade. Plus the Cards don't really need him now with the emergence of Ankiel. He is a first baseman with 20-30 homerun power without a real position in STL. We have some young pitching to possibly lure him away. Duncan is also a lefty which this team needs at first. The Giants have the position he wants and have some pitching that St. Louis might like. Definitely something to look at if Dave Duncan is fired or steps down. I am leaving him in despite LaRussa staying just because he still doesn't have a full time position and the Giants have one for him. Rotoworld also suggested a trade for Duncan giving up Lowry. Great to see great minds think alike.

Miguel Cabrera-3B/OF: The Giants should seriously pursue Cabrera to fill either third or first. I want him at first or in the OF but not at third. He is terrible at third and maybe JT Snow could work with him at first. Cabrera will be 25 next season and is good for a 30 HRS, .300 BA and 100+ RBI. Lowry could be used in a package along with any number of guys. This is a very special player who the Giants can build there offense around now while he is cheaper than market value. Cabrera is right handed power hitter which this post Bonds era is going to need. It doesn't look like the Giants have anything to really offer unless Lincecum becomes available. Sabean has said the Marlins are not realistic in their demands for Cabrera. Doesn't look like this will happen but you never know.

Richie Sexson-1B: Sexson could be the diamond in the rough. He is coming off a horrible season and makes a lot of money so he won't cost much in a trade. We could possibly dump some salary like Aurilia on them if we take on some more salary. He made $14 mil last season and hit just .205/.295/.399 with 21 homers and just 63 RBI. He is owed $14 mil and is a FA after the 08 season. If he does well he can get him a good 3-4 year deal. I think he has a lot in the tank left and he still has an average of 37 HRs a season. Sexson won't cost a lot in a trade if we take on more salary of we can make a trade where they take on most of the salary. Either way it won't cost us anything of importance and gives us a big presence in this weak lineup. Oh yeah, he's right handed which is a huge plus in this ballpark. The Giants were interested in Sexson last season. The M's are looking to move him at the Winter Meetings

Brian Fuentes-RP: Fuentes has been on the market for some time now but I don't know why. Maybe they feel he will make too much for a setup guy since he is arbitration eligible. Fuentes will be a FA after the '08 season and will be 32 years old. Fuentes had a 3.08 ERA last season to go along with 20 saves. He posts a 3.53 ERA over seven seasons and has 398 SO's in 359 IP. Fuentes would add another proven lefty reliever to go along with Kline if he himself is not traded. Fuentes would battle Wilson for the closing role and give a boost to any bullpen. The biggest problem here is trading with the improving Rockies inside the division. Giants are a couple of seasons away and helping the Rockies improve doesn't help our cause. Giants should at least call and see what they want. Brewers are looking into Fuentes.

Mark Prior-SP: Prior isn't going to be ready until late May and is a huge gamble but one the Giants can make. Prior will likely make $3-4 mil in arbitration and would make for a good backup plan in case Lincecum is traded. Giants have a great pitcher's park unlike Chicago. Prior hasn't done anything worth talking about since 2005 where he had 27 starts and a 3.67 ERA. Even if the Giants do not trade Lincecum, the Giants could have a rotation of Zito, Cain, Lowry Lincecum and Prior. Talk about potential domination!! Padres and M's are also interested in Prior so we would have to outbid with them and others. If the price is right, we can take a chance since we aren't going to win anything in 08 anyway.

Xavier Nady-OF/1B: The Pirates are trying to move Nady but will not non-tender him. Nady could play LF, RF or 1B for the Giants. Giants could have a Nady/Ortmeier combo at first which could provide 30+ HRs from the position. It would be a major upgrade over Klesko but Nady hasn't played all that much at first. Nady had 20 homers, 72 RBI and a .278 BA last season in 125 games. He would be a cheap option allowing them to spend on Andruw Jones or whoever they make a trade for with more ease and help save money for next year.

Andruw Jones-CF: I like Andruw only if it is on a two year deal like the Dodgers offered today, 2 yrs/$32 mil. Jones is a declining CFer but can still make plays and hit homeruns. Problem is he can't hit for any kind of average and he strikes out a lot. His power numbers have dropped in the past two seasons too. Jones would provide a power threat and make the OF look a lot better than it does right now. Jones had a .222/.311/.413 batting line with 26 HRs and 94 RBI in '07. Jones is a name that people know and will have some marketing value. Andruw is also right handed which helps.

Chad Cordero- CL: The Giants are waiting for either Wilson, Walker or Hennessey to emerge as the next closer. I say why wait? Why not get a proven closer now? Cordero averages a 2.70 ERA and 29 saves a year. He had 37 saves last year for a team with a slightly weaker offense than ours. The Nationals are shopping him and we might have some attractive starters for them in Sanchez, Misch or Correia. Cordero will only be 26 years old next year and a proven closer. The Giants bullpen was one of the worst and had the most blowns saves. Matt Cain would love this idea I can promise you that. Cordero isn't a FA until 2010.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Asked about a rumored Tim Lincecum-for-Jay Bruce deal, a Giants official said Monday that it was "pure fiction."
    Meanwhile, general manager Brian Sabean said that one team has made what he called an "interesting" offer for Lincecum, but added that he's unlikely to part with Lincecum or Matt Cain.

According to MLB.com, "one theory" has the Cardinals trading Scott Rolen to the Giants before signing former Giants third baseman Pedro Feliz to replace him.
    The Giants are also said to be in on Miguel Tejada, so they're clearly looking for a veteran third baseman. As always, Rolen's no-trade clause looms large over any potential trade.
    I wonder which team made the "interesting" offer for Lincecum? As for Rolen, the Giants should look into him but Rolen will likely want to go to a contender as I mentioned in the list above.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants continued to discuss Miguel Tejada, with left-hander Jonathan Sanchez, right-hander Brad Hennessey, outfielder Fred Lewis and catcher Guillermo Rodriguez among the names that interested the Orioles. But a Giants source said there was little movement on the Tejada front; Sabean's top lieutenants are roughly split on whether the former A's star would be a good fit, considering that he might not be happy about switching positions
    I wouldn't trade all four but would make a deal with these players if they throw some money along with him. Rolen is still out there and they don't know if Feliz will accept arbitration.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Seattle Mariners and Reds were known to be two teams in pursuit of Tim Lincecum and able to offer a variety of young position players. The rough outline of a deal with Seattle would have reshaped both franchises, with the Mariners potentially shedding first baseman Richie Sexson and the Giants moving veteran infielder Ray Durham or Rich Aurilia.
    I'm confused here. Who would replace Lincecum?? I want Sexson but not if it means Lincecum leaving.

MLB ERA

Jone Guillen signed with KC, so you can take him off of the list.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Deal isn't done yet but I will take him off. Done and done

MLB ERA

haha now you can take off Rolen aswell

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants are still in talks with Rolen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Blue Jays and Giants have floated the idea of an Alex Rios trade for Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain. Another name that's come up in discussions is third baseman Troy Glaus. But there are some health issues surrounding Glaus, who had surgery in September to repair a nerve in his left foot. If the Jays move Glaus, they would have to consider adding offense.
    It better be a lot more than Rios and with no Tory Glaus. Glaus is linked to steroids and I am sure the Giants are trying to separate themselves from that now that Bonds is gone. That's why the Giants have been reluctant to get Tejada. I would love to have Rios for Lowry but not Lincecum.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Like the Rangers, the Giants have expressed interest in trading for Ben Broussard.
    Both teams apparently seem content to wait and see if the Mariners non-tender him. Still, that may change if another team or two begins to show interest. As is Broussard could be cheaper in free agency than through arbitration.
    Broussard would be a cheap option at first who can hit 20 HRs and drive in runs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Even though he said he's received an interesting proposal, Giants GM Brian Sabean is leaning taking towards both Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain off the market.
    It's believed the Jays made a push for Lincecum, with Alex Rios probably involved. Troy Glaus' name has also come up, but it's hard to see how he'd be viewed as a centerpiece in a deal for Lincecum or Cain.
    If true, I will have to take Cabrera off the list as well. Probably a smart thing for Sabean to do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Padres are pursuing Kosuke Fukudome with the idea that he could handle center field in Petco, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.
    Seems like a stretch, as most teams in smaller ballparks are viewing him as a corner outfielder. If Fukudome could handle center, his bat could make him as $13 million-$15 million per year player. The Giants, Cubs and White Sox are also believed to be interested, though it's unclear if the White Sox are still targeting him after picking up Carlos Quentin.

The Royals have joined the Yankees, Astros and Giants in pursuit of free agent Ron Mahay.
    The Royals aren't short on lefty relievers, but they are considering using John Bale as a starter and they could trade Jimmy Gobble. Mahay is likely looking for at least $12 million for three years.

The Rays are looking at Shawn Green, Brad Wilkerson and Geoff Jenkins as right field options.
    Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan believes they'll target Green, as the other two are seeking multiyear deals at about $7 million per season. The Giants are also showing some interest in Green, who would prefer to play on the West Coast.
    Fukudome would be welcome but not my ideal choice and would not want him playing CF.

**** Ron Mahay and his three year deal!! We have enough old guys!

Same goes for Green!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Jays would reportedly prefer Matt Cain in an Alex Rios deal, while the Giants would be more likely to part with Tim Lincecum, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
    We don't think the Giants should surrender either in a straight-up deal. Rios is plenty good, but he still hasn't proven he's a star and he's about to start getting expensive. He's the kind of player the Giants have tended to overrate, as he has neither tremendous power nor a strong walk rate. On the plus side, he is a great defensive corner outfielder and he still has some room for improvement. The Giants, though, should insist on getting Shaun Marcum or Casey Janssen along with him if they're going to trade Cain or Lincecum.
    No, no and no!! I like Rios but Cain is the real future ace of this team and Lincecum is the future #2. Rios is a good ballplayer with some pop but he is no Miguel Cabrera. If it were Rios, Marcum and Accardo I would trade Lincecum.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

New Edited Version of Wants and Needs: Cabrera has been traded. The latest news on players are in Italics.

Scott Rolen-3B: Rolen is quite a gamble and hates authority but I would still love to have the best defensive third baseman I've ever seen in orange and black. The Cards have said that Rolen is available since LaRussa has been resigned and those two do not get along. Scott is coming off another shoulder surgery where last season you could tell it was bothering them. he only hit 8 HRs and 58 RBI with a .268 BA in 112 games. In '06, he hit 22 HRs, 95 RBI and .296 BA. I think he could be had for Lowry and Hennessey with them eating some of the $36 mil he is still owed. Hell we could even throw in Durham and eat all Of Rolen's money if they eat Lowry and Durham's. The Cards need help at second. He only has three years left on his contract which is perfect given his age and health. Rolen and Vizquel would make a great defensive left side. Now for the dreams to burst a little, he has a no-trade clause and wants to go to a contender. Giants will have to make some good moves to show they can be a contender before Rolen waives his clause. The Brewers have cooled their talks with Rolen and the Dodgers have become the front runners for him.

Miguel Tejada-3B: He has played in the Bay Area so fans already know him and he would reunite with Zito. The shortstop position is available though he might have to play third. Tejada has been asking for a trade for a while and isn't happy in Baltimore. Tejada makes $26 million over the next two years left on his contract. The Giants would be getting younger and more production at the postion. His 2007 stats were .296/.357/.442 with 18 HRs and 81 RBI with just 55 SOs. Problem is the O's still want him so we would have to dazzle them. The Giants are now skeptical about bringing Tejada in with his steroid cloud.

Chris Duncan-1B: This is just speculation on my part basically because of the rocky situation in St. Louis. LaRussa looks to walk with Jocketty gone and if that happens, Dave Duncan is likely to leave too. If so, Duncan would not be too happy and could push for a trade. Plus the Cards don't really need him now with the emergence of Ankiel. He is a first baseman with 20-30 homerun power without a real position in STL. We have some young pitching to possibly lure him away. Duncan is also a lefty which this team needs at first. The Giants have the position he wants and have some pitching that St. Louis might like. Definitely something to look at if Dave Duncan is fired or steps down. I am leaving him in despite LaRussa staying just because he still doesn't have a full time position and the Giants have one for him. Duncan has been rumored to be on the block.

Richie Sexson-1B: Sexson could be the diamond in the rough. He is coming off a horrible season and makes a lot of money so he won't cost much in a trade. We could possibly dump some salary like Aurilia on them if we take on some more salary. He made $14 mil last season and hit just .205/.295/.399 with 21 homers and just 63 RBI. He is owed $14 mil and is a FA after the 08 season. If he does well he can get him a good 3-4 year deal. I think he has a lot in the tank left and he still has an average of 37 HRs a season. Sexson won't cost a lot in a trade if we take on more salary of we can make a trade where they take on most of the salary. Either way it won't cost us anything of importance and gives us a big presence in this weak lineup. Oh yeah, he's right handed which is a huge plus in this ballpark. The Giants were interested in Sexson last season. There was a rumor involving Sexson and Lincecum but nothing materialized.

Brian Fuentes-RP: Fuentes has been on the market for some time now but I don't know why. Maybe they feel he will make too much for a setup guy since he is arbitration eligible. Fuentes will be a FA after the '08 season and will be 32 years old. Fuentes had a 3.08 ERA last season to go along with 20 saves. He posts a 3.53 ERA over seven seasons and has 398 SO's in 359 IP. Fuentes would add another proven lefty reliever to go along with Kline if he himself is not traded. Fuentes would battle Wilson for the closing role and give a boost to any bullpen. The biggest problem here is trading with the improving Rockies inside the division. Giants are a couple of seasons away and helping the Rockies improve doesn't help our cause. Giants should at least call and see what they want. Brewers and Astros are looking into Fuentes.

Mark Prior-SP: Prior isn't going to be ready until late May and is a huge gamble but one the Giants can make. Prior will likely make $3-4 mil in arbitration and would make for a good backup plan in case Lincecum is traded. Giants have a great pitcher's park unlike Chicago. Prior hasn't done anything worth talking about since 2005 where he had 27 starts and a 3.67 ERA. Even if the Giants do not trade Lincecum, the Giants could have a rotation of Zito, Cain, Lowry Lincecum and Prior. Talk about potential domination!! If the price is right, we can take a chance since we aren't going to win anything in 08 anyway. The Rangers are looking at Prior.

Xavier Nady-OF/1B: The Pirates are trying to move Nady but will not non-tender him. Nady could play LF, RF or 1B for the Giants. Giants could have a Nady/Ortmeier combo at first which could provide 30+ HRs from the position. It would be a major upgrade over Klesko but Nady hasn't played all that much at first. Nady had 20 homers, 72 RBI and a .278 BA last season in 125 games. He would be a cheap option allowing them to spend on Andruw Jones or whoever they make a trade for with more ease and help save money for next year.

Andruw Jones-CF: I like Andruw only if it is on a two year deal like the Dodgers offered today, 2 yrs/$32 mil. Jones is a declining CFer but can still make plays and hit homeruns. Problem is he can't hit for any kind of average and he strikes out a lot. His power numbers have dropped in the past two seasons too. Jones would provide a power threat and make the OF look a lot better than it does right now. Jones had a .222/.311/.413 batting line with 26 HRs and 94 RBI in '07. Jones is a name that people know and will have some marketing value. Andruw is also right handed which helps. Dodgers and Royals are in talks with Jones.

Chad Cordero- CL: The Giants are waiting for either Wilson, Walker or Hennessey to emerge as the next closer. I say why wait? Why not get a proven closer now? Cordero averages a 2.70 ERA and 29 saves a year. He had 37 saves last year for a team with a slightly weaker offense than ours. The Nationals are shopping him and we might have some attractive starters for them in Sanchez, Misch or Correia. Cordero will only be 26 years old next year and a proven closer. The Giants bullpen was one of the worst and had the most blowns saves. Matt Cain would love this idea I can promise you that. Cordero isn't a FA until 2010.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Blue Jays will not add major league pitching to their offer of Alex Rios for Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum.
    We suggested last night that it might take Shaun Marcum or Casey Janssen to get a deal done, but the Blue Jays apparently won't add any other significant pieces. If the Giants accept the deal anyway, then it's far more likely that Janssen will remain in the pen next year. The Jays would probably give the open outfield spot to Adam Lind, though they could look to add a righty to share time with him.
    Then no deal!!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast