Thread: Benitez Watch '07

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Benitez Watch '07

The Marlins had two scouts watching Armando Benitez's appearance Tuesday against the A's.
    It's unclear whether the Marlins and Giants have talked lately, but it is likely Benitez will be discussed at least one more time prior to Opening Day. Florida was reportedly willing to give up Yusmeiro Petit in December for Benitez and the cash to pay most of salary. If Benitez proves he's healthy this spring, the price will probably be higher.

The Mariners have some interest in bringing in Armando Benitez to act as a setup man for J.J. Putz.
    Take this as a sign they're not sure Chris Reitsma can handle the job. The Giants don't figure to be particularly interested in either Jeremy Reed or Ben Broussard, the two bats the Mariners have shopped around. Jake Woods plus a prospect could be more to their liking.

A team source told the Boston Herald that the Red Sox have not engaged in any discussions with the Giants regarding Armando Benitez.
    It's likely that the Red Sox are watching him, and there is the chance they could make a trade proposal later this month. However, GM Theo Epstein said he didn't see the team acquiring a closer prior to Opening Day. "I don’t anticipate anything big," he said. "We don’t have anything going right now with another team. I anticipate we’ll figure something out with guys we have here and build a good bullpen throughout the course of the year."
    I can't see Benitez impressing too much to get what Rotoworld thinks the Giants can get. The Marlins deal looks like it can happen. They were right in saying we don't need Reed or Broussard even though I wanted Broussard before we got Aurilia and Klesko. Red Sox looking at Benitez could be nice for us but bad for him as he would get murdered in Boston.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Mariners won't be making an offer for Armando Benitez.
    The Mariners reportedly don't have the money to take on even half of Benitez's $7.6 million salary, and while the Giants would cover a lot of his contract in the right scenario, the Mariners don't believe he's worth a top prospect.
    They still had scouts looking at him but I think they are right in thinking he's not worth a top prospect.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants will make a decision about whether or not to trade Armando Benitez next week.
    The Marlins and Reds are reportedly among the teams interested in Benitez, who has thrown four scoreless innings this spring. According to the newspaper, ownership would like to see Benitez traded, but the front office is more inclined to keep him.
    Keep him for now but if we are in bad shape come early June, trade him to help the team maybe get back in the race.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Tacoma News :"The scout assigned to watch San Francisco reliever Armando Benitez for the past week has now filed his report with the Seattle front office. That doesn’t mean a deal is imminent – it does mean the Mariners are interested enough to study the player thoroughly."

Beaver County Times: "Various published reports have the Pirates showing trade interest in a pair of veteran relievers, primarily San Francisco RHP Armando Benitz and Colorado RHP Byung-Hyun Kim."
    So now the Pirates are in the mix along with the Reds, Marlins and M's. As ist looks right now, the Giants have no better options at closer as most relievers are having horrible springs. I hate to say it but the Giants NEED Benitez. They should have traded him back in December.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Mariners and Marlins reportedly had a scout watching Armando Benitez pitch Thursday.
    Rain cut Benitez's scheduled two-inning appearance short and he said afterward that the Giants will regret trading him if they decide to. "I'll tell you something: You'll see this year what I do, all you guys," Benitez said. "You'll say, `He told me.'"
    Let's just hope he can back his words up.

AA ERA
    When I first started reading this thread I wondered if perhaps Benitez might have a great spring as a way of showcasing himself, and maybe lose that extra motivation once traded. His value may be at a high right now if he doesn't have a great year.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle