Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: official offseason news, rumors, and discussion thread.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What makes him injury prone all of a sudden?
    His back & knee are hardly all of the sudden......he's missed quite a bit of time just last year due to injury, and being obese wont help either of those injuries.... Had three stints on the disabled list with Boston: April 1-12 (right knee surgery), April 15-May 26 (right knee sprain), May 31-July 31 (right knee contusion)

I said if you can sign him cheap, do it........otherwise it's no major loss.......what about that is hard for you to grasp ?? As far as being too quick to write someone off....that's laughable.....he's an old man, he's fat, he was injured last year, and he's not what he once was.....I'm hardly being quick where David Wells in concered....

maybe you're being too slow ??
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    His back & knee are hardly all of the sudden......he's missed quite a bit of time just last year due to injury, and being obese wont help either of those injuries.... Had three stints on the disabled list with Boston: April 1-12 (right knee surgery), April 15-May 26 (right knee sprain), May 31-July 31 (right knee contusion)

I said if you can sign him cheap, do it........otherwise it's no major loss.......what about that is hard for you to grasp ?? As far as being too quick to write someone off....that's laughable.....he's an old man, he's fat, he was injured last year, and he's not what he once was.....I'm hardly being quick where David Wells in concered....

maybe you're being too slow ??
    It may not be all of a sudden, but he still started in 30 or more games in 8 of the last 10 years and out of those 8 he won over 15 or more in each year but one, that is a quality pitcher and you want to try and sign him on the cheap? Oh great, insult the one guy who wants to come here, who will probably give his home team a discount simply to be here so what, Moore’s can save more money? He is not exactly falling all over himself to sign other players right now with the money that he saved with the out going dead contracts, who the hell cares if he over pays him.

Going by Wells last 10 of service we can count on 30 plus games of quality starts out of him with 15 plus wins that is a quality pitcher that deserves to be treated with respect. Offer him a 5 million dollar contract with enough incentives to get up to 7 million and hope the negotiations do not top 10 when his agent gets involved. If we offer him 2 million, take it, or leave it, he will leave it and WE, not HIM will be worse off for it. If we had a few other quality lefties or even quality lefty prospects it might be a different story, but face reality, we don't have them. Not only do we not have them, we let our best {not to mention only proven} lefty reliever get signed away from us and to make it all worse, the big market teams are paying stupid money for anyone who can throw a ball 3/4 of the way to the plate. He is it if we want a quality starter who is a proven competitor and you should be thankful we have the ability to sign him because the only reason why we do is because he wants to be with us. He could easily go elsewhere and get more of everything and you just want to say bye. You have no lefties of course, you don't even have a great righty or two you can say we can definitely sign to over compensate for the lack of lefties, but the one guy that we can sign, as long as we do not insult him, you just what to give a take it or leave it insulting offer. That is just stupid.

Wells is a proven winner; be happy that he wants to come home for Christ sake you have no one else.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    It may not be all of a sudden
    Yes I know this, I had to explain it to you....

he still started in 30 or more games in 8 of the last 10 years
    He's no spring chicken man, when will you start to see that it might have something to do with age, and conditioning ?

he won over 15 or more in each year but one, that is a quality pitcher and you want to try and sign him on the cheap? Oh great, insult the one guy who wants to come here
    He was here, he did nothing for us last year, and he's an old liability and risk, of course we want to sign him cheap....Suggesting anything to the contrary is just plain stupid.

Moore’s can save more money?
    When the Padres add Giles, SP, two RP, Bench player, and pay for arbi, they will be around or above 70M. What money is Moore's saving that you speak of ??

Going by Wells last 10 of service we can count on 30 plus games of quality starts out of him with 15 plus wins
    Here's where you're thinking is flawed....you can't count on anything from a pitcher that old. If he were in his early 30's or hell in his 30's I'd be with you on this....but he's not, and not even close to it actually....so again....If you can sign him for cheap, ok, if not, Pass

Offer him a 5 million dollar contract with enough incentives to get up to 7 million
    LMFAO in this market that's cheap....and I said somewhere that Wells wants around 6M....if you can make that happen....great....if he wants even close to 10 no way...incentives included......Who the HELL said 2M ?? Where did that # appear ?? Fantasy land ??

You have no lefties of course, you don't even have a great righty or two you can say we can definitely sign to over compensate for the lack of lefties
    We don't need great as our #5, it would be nice, but there are few teams in history that can claim to have a "great #5 arm"..... sheesh....

you just what to give a take it or leave it insulting offer. That is just stupid
    What's really "stupid" is suggesting that I said give him a "take or leave it offer" or suggesting that I said to offer him 2M when that never happened.....try not to be so "stupid"....to echo your words....

Wells is a proven winner; be happy that he wants to come home for Christ sake you have no one else.
    It's our #5 pitcher man.....relax......worst case we use Thompson or Stauffer....but to suggest we have "no one else".....not very bright

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bochy is talking to Wells about coming to SF which I will take over Russ Ortiz and the newly acquired Damian Moss and SF has no need for Loretta. Mets are looking into Giles so the Padres better act quickly.

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Bochy is talking to Wells about coming to SF which I will take over Russ Ortiz and the newly acquired Damian Moss and SF has no need for Loretta. Mets are looking into Giles so the Padres better act quickly.
    Basically what she said, but with link, http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...htm?source=rss

That is the first time I read that Wells himself stated that he intended to come back next year. It also states that we are interested in Mulder, I do not know about that, but considering our success with Embree last year, I am definately in wait in see mode with it. This finding cast offs that can still shine and then just letting them go has to catch up to us sooner or later.
    John B.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Mulder will miss the first two months of the season for sure. No telling how much longer he will need to be effective.

MLB ERA
    Hell pick up Fogg in FA right now if you needed a #5....but Thompson or Stauffer would work until Mulder is ready....

AA ERA

Padres

The Braves might let Andruw Jones walk as well as Giles, which is very interesting, I wonder how enamored he is with CF. If the guy wouldn’t mind playing, oh lets say LF, hummm, I could think of a time that could use him and his 41 HRs. I am not a big power hitter type guy, but those HRs also come with 148 hits and 129 RBIs, I think I could suffer through that.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s_x.htm?csp=34
    John B.

MLB ERA
    If A Jones is allowed to walk......there isn't enough money in the Padres vault for us to even play a single hand of poker with the teams that will fall all over themselves to sign him..... V. Wells was just offered north of $100M....A.Jones will be north of the V. Wells offer....

Best thing that could happen for us, is simply that he leaves the NL for good

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    If A Jones is allowed to walk......there isn't enough money in the Padres vault for us to even play a single hand of poker with the teams that will fall all over themselves to sign him..... V. Wells was just offered north of $100M....A.Jones will be north of the V. Wells offer....

Best thing that could happen for us, is simply that he leaves the NL for good
    Someone has to get knocked off this damn bandwagon, how many 100 million dollar contrats can these MLB teams afford to put out? Not even George Steinbrenner has that much in the kitty.

Hey, I can dream, can't I???
    John B.

MLB ERA
    you bet......but he wont play corner OF.....and neither will Cameron....so decide which you want......

AA ERA

Padres

Well if you read the original post, I think you will find a big "IF" he is will ing to change positions and as for who I would like most, I stick with my grandmothers advice, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cameron did a great job there last year, I could not imagine anyone doing any better and who is to say that A. Jones batting numbers will not adjust down wards when he hits our ball park. I really think they would complement each other very well, but if he don't come, he don't come. He is simply a so called power bat that puts up the hits/rbi's I like, hence caught my eye, so I posted about him. With some luck, we can pick him up, but if it does not happen, I ain't going to sweat it.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    IF's are a funny thing aren't they ?

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    I think Wells returns to San Diego. KT is apparently having dinner with him and his wife tonight, though we know how that turned out the last time it happened. Wells bolted to Boston...we'll see.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    I think it's possible Wells gets ink'd.....I just hope it's cheap and/or a heavy incentive laden deal....

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast