Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Cy Young: Is it really even a question who is the leading candidate?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Clemens missed a start which will help his cause. D-Train is making a better case now but Carpenter just got his first loss on the road yesterday. Amazing!

Question for Cincyredsfan, who deserved to win the Cy Young last year? You keep avoiding the this so I will ask one more time.

FWIW, I am going back to Clemens for now, but it could very well be Dontrelle by the time the season's over (didn't see that coming), or who knows, Carp.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    I think it's pretty clear Clemens has the best stats. Whoever has the best stats. deserves to win the Cy Young EVERY year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Simply amazing that you avoided my question again. What are you afraid of?

MLB ERA
    Look for yourself. Whoever had the best stats. deserved to win.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    FWIW, I am going back to Clemens for now, but it could very well be Dontrelle by the time the season's over (didn't see that coming), or who knows, Carp.
    I find it quite hypocritical that you'd go for Schilling last year with his greater run support than Santana (the "better" pitcher), but this year go for Clemens (the "better" pitcher) instead of Carpenter because of the run support. Sounds like Red Sox player/former player bias. If you're going for Clemens this year based on the reasons stated, then you should have been for Santana last year.

Man, it sure looks like it's Dontrelle's now..tight race!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

What are you talking about? I said last year that I would have voted for Santana. Here are some quotes (taken from the old site) around the Cy Young period

"1. Johan Santana (SP-MIN)
    -It's Johan and it isn't even close. Simply the best pitcher in the game that is starting and won 20 behind that offense which my #3 pick (Radke) got 11. Put up ridiculous 2nd half numbers, perhaps the best in history considering his era. Beyond reason.

2. Curt Schilling (SP-BOS)
    -Well, he was the 2nd best pitcher in baseball...simply an amazing guy to have on your team. The passion, the endurance, and the most wins in the AL. Simply a great year as he carried the Sox on the pitching part of the club

3. Brad Radke (SP-MIN)
    -Yet another Minnesota Twin. I would put Mariano here, but I hate to put RPs on the list, however, Mariano will make it despite my other statistical half saying no. He was way back of the first two and my third pick. He had a very solid, unheralded year. He won't get this high though

4. Mariano Rivera (RP-NYA)
    -77 IP will never be as good as 190 innings of respectable, above average ball unless the 77 is unhittable. However, Rivera was really good and I'm going to overrate him for it. There was a reason or two the Yanks had so many comeback wins, dare to guess the major one?

5. Pedro Martinez (SP-BOS)
    -He was off at times, but when he was on, he looked like his old self. Really, this should go to Westbrook or Escobar or Gordon, but I think Pedro deserves a spot up here. He had a solid year and he did make his starts pretty damn good, even if he wasn't as good as last year

Hon Mentions: Gordon (NYA), Westbrook (CLE), Escobar (ANA), Buehrle (CHA)"

"The fact that Schilling endorses Santana should show why I love Schilling as a player and why Santana is the true Cy Young winner this year."

"Johan will win the CY and if he doesn't, it is a bad choice. Maybe up there with Clemens over Mulder or Zito over Martinez."

I have no idea where you got that I would have chosen Schilling last year.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    There is no way Dontrelle should win. His stats. aren't as good as Clemens' stats. He recently blew a game in the 9th inning after going in with a multiple-run lead. I just don't see any basis for him winning the Cy.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    There is no way Dontrelle should win. His stats. aren't as good as Clemens' stats. He recently blew a game in the 9th inning after going in with a multiple-run lead.
    Todd Jones blew the game, not Dontrelle.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I cannot believe you are dodging this question. I know the stats and I know who should have won. This isn't about me, it is you I am asking the question. Be a man Cincy and answer it! Outrageous!

Willis has been coming along. It all comes down to Carp's and Willis' starts.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I have no idea where you got that I would have chosen Schilling last year.
    I was misinformed

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    Todd Jones blew the game, not Dontrelle.

Apparently there is a semantic disagreement here. Todd Jones got a Blown Save, but Willis got the Loss in giving up two ER which tied the game up. I'd say he blew the game because he had a two-run lead coming into the inning and couldn't hold it. I guess I should have said Dontrelle Lost the game after leading for eight innings, because he most certainly did just that.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I cannot believe you are dodging this question. I know the stats and I know who should have won. This isn't about me, it is you I am asking the question. Be a man Cincy and answer it! Outrageous!

Willis has been coming along. It all comes down to Carp's and Willis' starts.
    I'm not taking the time to look back at who should have won. I don't feel like it. Period. Whoever had the better stats. should win and that's it. I really didn't pay much CLOSE attention to the race last year because there was no topic such as this one that I can recall being posted anywhere I frequented. I didn't even think about it or look at it and I'm not going to now. I don't need lessons in looking up statistics and I'm not going to waste my time doing so now. I don't really care if you keep making your comments. Nothing will change. End of story.

MLB ERA
    Eh, inherited runners. Yeah, the D-Train put two guys on base, but Jones imploded in the 9th.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast