Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Cy Young: Is it really even a question who is the leading candidate?

Of course not, and I can almost guarantee (hell, I'll guarantee it, I doubt there's a beat reporter for the Cards and Stros together) none of the reporters giving the award can either. It's still statistically dumb to take out a pitcher with 7 IP/0 ER and under 100 pitches. Unless he's injured, in which I doubt he'd be able to increase his PC the next start, there's no reason. It's idiocy to do it unless there's injury, especially without a combination like Dotel-Lidge that they had last year, or Wagner-Dotel.

He didn't deserve it in 2001 and 2004, but he arguably deserved it in 1990 and 1992 which would give him 7 either way.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I don't want to turn this into a whole other argument, but sorry...Welch went 27 - 6 with an ERA below 3...when was the last time a pitcher was that close to 30 wins? And Eck went 7-1 with 51 saves and an ERA under 2 carrying the 1992 A's to the ALCS, oh and he won the MVP that year

He was more deserving in 1990 than in 1992.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Great argumnets by all. Good passion and reasoning on everyones part. But I will any and every day take a pitcher that is 20-5 over the one that is 13-12, no matter what any other stat may be.

Providence: You gotta know, if I have the ideals to support Clemens in the 2005 argument, you gotta believe I'll support him in the 1990. 6 less wins, but a full run lower in the ERA, not to mention the WHIP and K difference. Purely opinion though and that's what makes baseball great. The important thing is the reasoning behind decision and not specifically how it was made. Sure, on the whole, I'll think the people who argue for Clemens are right and Carp are wrong, but if Carp's argument is presented well and Clemens isn't, I'll surely consider Carp.

As for 1992, it's the old RP-SP debate. I'm a bit confused on how Eck won this Cy Young but got little consideration in 1990, but that's another debate. I still think having 3x the inning and only being a half a run higher in ERA is the better choice, but it's RP/SP, two completely different pitchers. Logical debates can be made for each. Although I think this one is farther stretched than the 2005 RotY debate, Street v. Blanton is another example in the RotY, although defining best and valuable are two different words to some and synonyms to others.

MLB ERA
    Carpenter wins again with 7 shutout innings...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/p...ayer_id=112020

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    It's not a contest. See "The Cy Young Watch" in the Cards forum.

As I've said, I'll be happy with either Carpenter or Clemens, it'll still be a far better choice than I fear will be made in the AL (could be Mo Rivera).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Won't be Rivera and I will give everyone one dollar if it happens.

MLB ERA
    how could Rivera win? If he's even being considered, then you have to consider Street with major difference being total number of saves and save percentage...

Street has a better win percentage (4 less losses), a lower ERA, more innings, and more walks...but everything else is very close, so I don't see how you could pick either one to be honest.

Compare

Oh, trust me, I agree 100%. When I said Mo Rivera wasn't even the best RP in the AL this year, I was talking about Street.

However, as asinine as it is, Mo is getting real Cy Young buzz due to the lack of a Carp/Clemens in the AL. Two Yankee fans voted for him here.

As for the AL, I'll take Colon, Buehrle, Santana, Remlinger (ok, not him). Any of the low-3 ERA SP are fine with me.

MLB ERA
    Give it to Halladay on the condition that he picks up next year where he left off this year

MLB ERA
    I would be shocked if Mariano Rivera won the NL Cy Young, no matter how well he pitched.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Funny.

Meh, Halladay was still my candidate after missing a month, but another one?

MLB ERA
    Johan Santana
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Can we just give it Cy Young's great-great grandson?

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast