Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Cy Young: Is it really even a question who is the leading candidate?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I heard Clemens is old and may retire for the 4th year in a row. Let's give him the award

Banned
    ERA
    Call NASA
    Much rhetoric on this topic. Fortunately there has been, is now and likely will always be only one way to judge what a player brings to his team. And as joek has stated many times, winning is the only valid way to detrmine a players value. Baseball is a team sport with almost every aspect of an individuals performance determined by other players performances, umpires decisions, and official scorers whims and fantasies. I'll take anytime a pitcher who wins more than he loses. And all you losers out there can have any other statistic you widh to play with yourselves with.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ejk
    I'll take anytime a pitcher who wins more than he loses. And all you losers out there can have any other statistic you widh to play with yourselves with.
    It's funny because you have no value for Mike Mussina, Joe. A guy who in 350 career starts (as of this post) has WON 223 of them (64%)! You're obviously just trying to blow smoke up our asses when you say this kind of crap. There are only 10 active pitchers with a win% at or better than Mussina! (Pedro, Santana, Hudson, Oswalt, Clemens, Mulder, Unit, Pettitte, Zito, Maddux (min 75 starts)) Of the pitchers who have started as many games as Mussina, only Rocket, Unit, and Maddux have better Win%. The more you talk about this stupid thoery, the more you contradict yourself. Just save it, and for God's sake just post using one name.

MLB ERA
    Clemens won't take his turn on Saturday. I remember hearing that a starting pitcher has NEVER won the Cy Young with fewer than 15 wins...good luck Roger

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    D. Willis: 22-9, 2.44 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 7 CG, 5 SHO, 225.1 IP, 50 BB, 155 K
    Carpenter: 21-4, 2.42 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 7 CG, 4 SHO, 230.1 IP, 47 BB, 203 K

D-Train's got 1 more start (2 if the Marlins pitch him on short rest the last day of the regular season, probably not, who knows).

Carpenter goes today and on the 30th (unless the Cards rest him for the postseason?)

It's not over!

MLB ERA
    It is for Roger

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    So much for Carpenter's Cy Young chances after tonight. It's all Dontrelle now.

MLB ERA
    :ohwell: As long as it's not Clemens...he's a prick

MLB ERA
    Clemens pulls ahead even further. The stats. are even more superior for Clemens now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The last time a SP won the Cy Young with less than 15 wins

Why do you think he beat out the others? I'm sure you don't see it, but it was no doubt his 11 CG and 8 SHO that put him over the top...also the fact that no one had 20 wins. Clemens only has his ERA going for him

Very similar voting scenario

Clemens had his ERA difference of 1 or better and had 20 wins, but still lost. Why do you think this time will be any different with only 12 wins? With most of categories so close except wins (Carpenter) and ERA (Clemens), precedent is there for Carpenter's wins (along with CG/SHO difference) to push him over the edge...especially if the Astros miss the playoffs, which is possible.

MLB ERA
    I don't really care about poor choices made by those who vote on this issue. I'm talking about the actual numbers.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    unfortunately for you voting is how the award is handed out. Last year Clemens won because of those voters and this year he will lose because of those voters.

MLB ERA
    I don't care about the voters and who ultimately gets picked. I care about the reality of the situation when it comes to comparing the two pitchers. I wouldn't care if Clemens lost every year if he deserved to lose every year, but he doesn't deserve to this year.

MLB ERA
    likewise, the voters don't care about our opinions...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Since DTrain's name was brought up, I decided to show how he stacks up against Clemens with the stats I originally used (since Clemens was the intent of the article.) So here you ago.

Note: This post isnt intended to discredit Carpenter from the race or show one person to be superior or whatnot to support my original argument. Remember, my argument was written quite some time ago and I might re-address it the stats more indepthly once the season is completed but for now I am just providing these for your convenience if you care to look at them.

Code:
    (Italicized teal text indicates who has the advantage for the particular category.)
    Willis
    ERA: 2.44
    W-L: 22-9 (RS: 4.95)
    IP: 225.1 IP
    CG: 7
    AVG: .236
    K/9: 6.19
    WHIP: 1.09
    XBH: 58
    OBP: .284
    SLG: .339
    OPS: .620

Clemens
    ERA: 1.89
    W-L: 12-8 (RS: 3.57)
    IP: 204.1 IP
    CG: 1
    AVG: .197
    K/9: 7.93
    WHIP: 1.00
    XBH: 40
    OBP: .258
    SLG: .285
    OPS: .541

Key: ERA: Earned Run Average. W-L: Win Loss Record. RS: Run Support While Pitching. IP: Innings pitched. AVG: Opponents batting average against. K/9: Strikeouts per 9 Innings. WHIP: Walks+Hits/Innings Pitched. XBH: Extra base hits allowed. OBP: On Base Percentage Against. SLG: Slugging Percentage Allowed. OPS: On-Base Percentage+Slugging Percentage Against.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast