• Other (Please list)

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2006 NL MVP: You Decide

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

still have to go with Pujols!

I'd take Pujols at first, for this year or for the remainder of either's career. Don't really care who wins the MVP, I feel both are deserving candidates.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

i agree with you General!

MLB ERA
    An argument could easily be made for both Howard and Pujols. I don't think anyone else is even close. If the Phillies make the playoffs as a WC, I'd lean more towards Howard. Howard's HR total is hard to ignore, but again, if they don't make the playoffs, then I'd definitely go with Pujols. I've seen too much crap with players and pitchers who DO get shafted in recent years simply because their team doesn't make the playoffs (or in the case of A-Rod getting an undeserved MVP when his team was in last place)... so I can't give it to a non-playoff player.

In short, if the phillies make the playoffs, I give my vote to Howard
    If they don't make the playoffs, my vote goes to Pujols.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lynch, what if neither make the playoffs? You'd have to give it to Howard based on the fact that his team has the better record. Or you would give it to Beltran based on your "I can't give it to a non-playoff player" logic.

If this Padres-Cards score holds up, Cards will have lost 7 games in a row and the Astros would only be 1.5 games back in the standings. Phillies are 1 game back of the WC as we speak.

MLB ERA
    I am not a fan of the "this player's team got in/didn't get in the playoffs, so he should/shouldn't be the MVP."

It is about player performance, not team performance.

For example, Pujols has not been retired tonight.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

with all due respect, I believe the MVP is meant for the player that does the most for his team.. If that individual is out of the lineup, then how would the team fair. The Cards found out this year how important Pujols is to their team. They struggled mightly. Then again, they have been extremely streaky with him, as well as the Phillies. That is why I feel Pujols will get the MVP because of his Reputation. Howard is still building his. Pujols is an established player. So in this case where it is dead even, you have to give Pujols the advantage because of experience and all-round play. He has become one of the best defensive 1B, and teams will pitch around him most times if the game is on the line, just like they did to Bonds. Too many pros for Pujols than Howard in this case, ESPECIALLY since it is basically an even race for the MVP. I bet Pujols would be tickled to give the award to Howard in exchange for a ring! Just hearing things about Pujols, putting the team 1st, not himself, which is another point in his favor. Don't hear that much about Howard.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Pujols has just flied out (representing the tying run) to end the 8th inning.

MLB ERA
    Being successful four of five times constitutes a nice night in terms of statistics, especially considering he has scored a Run tonight.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Lynch, what if neither make the playoffs? You'd have to give it to Howard based on the fact that his team has the better record. Or you would give it to Beltran based on your "I can't give it to a non-playoff player" logic.

If this Padres-Cards score holds up, Cards will have lost 7 games in a row and the Astros would only be 1.5 games back in the standings. Phillies are 1 game back of the WC as we speak.
    If neither team makes the playoffs, I give it to trevor hoffman, just to piss off half of America (or I give it to the batboy for the Mets)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I am not a fan of the "this player's team got in/didn't get in the playoffs, so he should/shouldn't be the MVP."

It is about player performance, not team performance.

It's about who's most valuable to his team, hence the term "Most Valuable Player"

I look at it like this: What player, if removed from the roster, would most drastically change how that team fared?

That's pretty much a moot point when you're talking about non playoff teams.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    I see the situation differently.

I agree that it makes sense to say that "How would they do with him?" is the most important issue, but I don't think making the playoffs or not means much.

A player could be incredible and could make the team a lot better than they otherwise would be, but if they don't have the overall talent, they could still miss the playoffs. You can't expect a player to carry a 70-win team to the playoffs. That's just not realistic. That doesn't make him any less valuable to that team. It isn't his fault the team around him was so bad that they couldn't have possibly made the playoffs to begin with.

MLB ERA
    Um, to me, MVP = LEAGUE Most Valuable Player. Every team has their own MVP. Pisses me off when people think that the two are the same, because they aren't.

If a guy is so damn dominant and good that he springs his team forward, helps them win games and is a leader on and off the field, that's an MVP. A selfish asshole, me-first player who doesn't give a crap about anything other than his own personal stats and his bankroll is NOT an MVP. If a team is in last place, I don't care if you hit 80 home runs in a season.. you are not the league MVP.

MLB ERA
    You aren't valuable because you have no talent around you?

I strongly disagree.

I fail to see the logic of those who feel someone should turn a 70-win team into a playoff team by themselves.

MLB ERA
    My point is, there's a difference between a LEAGUE and a TEAM MVP.

How can you say someone on a 70-win team is the most valuable player in the league? You disagree, but you don't explain your side other than using (what i see as) silly logic that we shouldnt' fault a guy with good stats on a sappy and crappy team.

So, in retort, I say give that man Team MVP, but leave the League MVP to someone who DID help/lead their team to the playoffs. If you guys won't give MVP to a pitcher cuz he only pitches ever 5 days, how do plan to defend a guy with good/great stats on a sappy and crappy team?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast