View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joba Chamberlain

6 50.00%
  • Phil Hughes

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joba or Phil?

MLB ERA

Joba or Phil?

Who would you guys rather have, Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes? Two great pitchers that both have great stuff and are both going to be stars in this league. Its a hard question but I would probably take Joba, although you can't go wrong with Phil. Wait, on second thought I would take Melky over anyone. Anyways, who you would pick?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Joba or Phil?

Phil Hughes is already labeled "great"?

MLB ERA

Who would you guys rather have, Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes? Two very talented pitchers that both have great stuff and are both going to be stars in this league. Its a hard question but I would probably take Joba, although you can't go wrong with Phil. Wait, on second thought I would take Melky over anyone. Anyways, who you would pick?

Is that better DK?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Hughes
    Save Phil Hughes

MLB ERA

I'm not sure what Chamberlain has just yet. He did a nice job coming down the stretch, but when scouts see how he throws, he will have to adjust his delivery. We'll see what he has after a couple of times around the league.
    Hughes has made some of the adjustments that were necessary to stay ahead of the hitters. He has impressed me.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Definetly Hughes.

But we don't have to worry about that.

Joba wows 'em, but Hughes puts 'em to sleep. Considering Hughes was able to win even without his best stuff this summer, I'll take him. Posada just needs to call his change more often. I don't want to see any of this strict diet of fastball, curve crud. That gets predictable after a while.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I agree, I think Hughes will be the better pitcher in the long-term, although Joba is still going to be great IMO.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

People seem to forget that only last year Hughes was seen as the top pitching prospect in baseball. Now, despite being younger than Buchholz by what? 2 years? He has suddenly been knocked down a level below Clay and Joba. I don't think that's right, and I think we'll see the real Phil Franchise next year. I can't wait.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    People seem to forget that only last year Hughes was seen as the top pitching prospect in baseball. Now, despite being younger than Buchholz by what? 2 years? He has suddenly been knocked down a level below Clay and Joba. I don't think that's right, and I think we'll see the real Phil Franchise next year. I can't wait.
    Bucholz did throw a no hitter...

And Hughes did throw 72 IP, so he's not considered a prospect anymore.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Do we all forget that Hughes was pitching a no hitter in his own second big league start against Texas? Who can say what would have happened if he didn't get injured? He certainly had no-hitter stuff that night.

And Fisher, just because Hughes no longer qualifies as a rookie, does not mean he is still not a prospect. He's still a work in progress, but this is all semantics. Really, I just mean to say that somehow Hughes has become "touchable" and has dropped from a guy with #1 potential to a guy with #2 potential. It doesn't make sense to make that judgment off of a year derailed by injuries. Hughes is younger than both of them and his track record is just as good. That's all I'm saying fellas.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And Joba will be in the pen before the season is half over

And that.

Veov,
    I think this is directly related to all the "hype". We all heard for so long how Hughes was going to be so great, then he comes up to the majors and even though he was very good/great, the previous "hype" on him set the bar so high that anything was going to be a little bit of a disappointment. I made a previous post a few weeks back about "prospects and if they reach their full potential", they almost never do!!!! Joba and Clay kind of got a little bit of a free pass on the expectations because everybody was talking about Hughes and how good he was, now that they showed instant success and Hughes wasn't better than them instantly, he automatically got knocked down a step. I fully expect he will probably be the best of the three when it's all said and done.
    As far as Buchholz goes, where does he have to go from here? He pitched a no-no and now everybody is talking about him like he's a god. Prior to him coming to the majors most scouts were talking of him being a really good #2 or #3 guy in the rotation. A 15 win per season guy. I think that was an accurate assessment. I look at Joba the same way. I see him as a #2 or #3 starter, a 15 to 20 win guy. Once he becomes a full time starter good hitters will make an adjustment on him and his numbers will not be as great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast