The Yankees Suck.

We all know this.

Solution: Cashman, get off of your ass and deal. Deal now.
Deal 1: David DeJesus for Matt DeSalvo/Tyler Clippard and Luis Vizcaino. (We can rip off the Royals, right?)
Deal 2: Reggie Willits, Jose Molina, and Kendry Morales for Jason Giambi and David DeJesus.
Deal 3: Todd Helton and Omar Quintanilla for Johnny Damon, Matt DeSalvo, and Sean Henn.

Lineup As Is 
What It Should Be

#|Pos.|Name|...|Pos.|Name[/table]
1.|CF|Johnny Damon|...|LF/CF/RF|Reggie Willits
2.|SS|Derek Jeter|...|SS|Derek Jeter
3.|RF|Bobby Abreu|...|1B|Todd Helton
4.|3B|Alex Rodriguez|...|3B|Alex Rodriguez
5.|LF|Hideki Matsui|...|RF/DH|Bobby Abreu
6.|DH|Jason Giambi|...|LF/DH|Hideki Matsui
7.|C|Jorge Posada|...|C|Jorge Posada
8.|2B|Robinson Cano...|DH(CF)|Kendry Morales(Melky Cabrera)
9.|1B|Doug Mienkiewicz|...|2B|Robinson Cano

Bam. Simple solution, we rid ourselves of the really dying players, address some bench issues and add depth.

Problem is, Cashman wouldn't do these deals. I'll give the arguments why; DeJesus is worth too much for such a measly trade, and he won't trade young pitching, even though it won't be that great anyway (Brandon Claussen?). Deal 2 could get done, but I don't know the status of Morales. I do know he's a potential monster. Even so, the Angels add the hitting they need and can now deal off someone in the infield or Figgins, or keep the depth. The Angels would win this deal, and get everything they need, maybe even go to the ALCS or WS depending on rotation. Helton is moveable, but the Rockies may want more. 2 young pitchers and Damon is worth Helton and a roadblokced MI though, so this is actually a nice deal.

What goes unmentioned are the massive PR hits dealing guys like Giambi and Damon would cause. Especially if the people brought back flounder.

This is a massive pipe dream, but what else can I think of when the playoffs are widely considered a thing of the past and there can be no optimism with the dying team and shitty bullpen.

(Note: I didn't address the bullpen. Who's going to trade servicable pen arms now anyway? They're probably in the playoff hunt; it's only the start of June.)