Thread: Welcome, F-Mart

MLB ERA

Mets Welcome, F-Mart

Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez was called up today, when Ryan Church went on the DL. Martinez will play every day for the next 2 weeks or so, to see what we have here. F-Mart has been classified as a 5 tool prospect, and from what I've seen in ST and Minor Leagues, he's very fast, good fielder, good arm, and has a decent bat right now. His power numbers were finally climbing in AAA this year, 7 HR in May. So, maybe he'll begin to progress even more.

Not too many guys play in AAA(and play well) at age 20, so hopefully F-Mart will be ready soon. Personally, I think he'll be able to hold his own for a few weeks....not playing outstanding, but I think he could give us .270, 2 or 3 HR, some on base, some speed, and good defense. It'll be nice to see if this top prospect is for real, but I can't say I'm not nervous.

MLB ERA

Re: Welcome, F-Mart

I would refrain from judging a young guy by just one 2-week stint as well, no matter what he does. He could rake the ball and just be difficult to figure out early, or he could have a tough transition but could eventually be a star. You never know, and 2 weeks isn't enough to predict the future
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Agreed, but it'd be nice to see if he can preform, and maybe force Minaya to make a decision.....give the front office reason to keep him up here longer....maybe F-Mart never again sees the minor leagues....

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I like the move...I'm excited to see what this guy can do. I think he's young enough to be Gary Sheffield's son.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Rough start to F-Mart's career....although that was probably to be expected. F-Mart is 0-7, with 2 K, and an RBI Fielder's Choice and a HBP. He seemed to have some idea at the plate in his first game, and I did not see the game tonight, so I hold out hope he will hit at least somewhat while he's up here...

MLB ERA

Martinez had the first two hits of his big league career yesterday, a single and a double. Today he was 0 for 2 until he just hit an RBI double the opposite way. Not a terrible start for the kid....considering he's only 20.

Rookie ERA

He hit .200 with 5 RBI. Not horrible, but not exactly good either. Hopefully we can keep him up a little longer because he is an exciting player and I will love to see him grow in the Majors.

Rookie ERA

The thing is if he stays in the Majors he should play on a regular basis or it will not benefit him at all in the long run.

MLB ERA

Agreed completely. I think once we start playing in AL parks in the next week or so, Sheff will DH, and F-Mart will play left. If he's not playing though, he should go back to AAA.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I always get a good chuckle out of his name.

"I save your daddy...I save your husband...It is a miracle!"

MLB ERA

He had a rough time in the majors, but that's to be expected for a guy who's only 20 and has played a season or less at AAA. Good to see them send him down to get constant at bats.