Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Off-Season

MLB ERA

Re: Twins Off-Season

Ford is a free agent, having refused a minor-league assignment.
    I think the Twins acquired Monroe as a "plan-b" in case none of the other deals came through. He should get an invite to spring training and have a chance to make the squad just like anyone else can.
    I have read rumors the Angels are getting into the Santana sweepstakes using Nick Adenhart as one of the pieces, although their GM denies it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins Off-Season

D'oh! I knew that Ford refused assignment. My bad guys, sorry.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You haven't been relieved yet Henks?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He just got here, no worries.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire appears hopeful that his team will consider signing free agent David Eckstein.
    "I've always had a lot of respect for him," Gardenhire said. "He catches the ball. He knows how to play. He's a proven winner." No mention of he "does the little things well?" Eckstein is still seeking a multiyear deal, and the Twins shouldn't be looking to tie up another position for more than a year or two during their rebuilding effort.
    Eck would be a good guy to set the tables for Mauer, Morneau and Young.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Definately. The Twins should seriously consider signing him.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Eckstein could be the answer at 2B for the Twins. He wouldn't cost too much, either.
    If the team keeps Johan, they will need someone reliable there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

If the Twins sign Eckstein, that would give Casilla a chance to better himself in the minors. That would help out a lot if they don't sign Eckstein to a long term deal.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

From what I've heard, no team is willing to give Eck the 3 yr deal he is wanting.

MLB ERA

Eck is likely going to be a utility guy in 3 years. People have looked at the Mets deal to sign Pedro Martinez and have shied away from long-term deals for players who are in decline.
    This said, Eckstein would be a great #2 hitter for the Twins. As it is, Tyner looks to be the lead-off hitter and Harris goes into the #2 hole. If the Twins were to sign Eck, they'd be able to put him in the lineup after Tyner.
    We'll see what happens, won't we? The Mets are back in the Santana race and have offered a couple of nice players, but their prospects are not as good as I'd want. Here is Ken Rosenthal's take on the deal: FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Winter Meetings: Mets could swoop in

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A four-year contract extension, which is expected to be offered soon to Twins first baseman Justin Morneau, 26, should be in the $43 million range. Next season with be the second year of a $33 million, four-year deal for teammate Joe Mauer, who will be just 27 when he can become a free agent in three years. Morneau, who played for $4.5 million last season, probably would win $7.5 million in a salary arbitration case this winter. Mauer, who played for $3.75 million last season, will make $6.25 million next year.
    Sign it Justin!!

MLB ERA

I like the direction management is going. Maybe Bill Smith will get the Pohlads to get a crowbar and open their massive wallets a bit?
    I would not be surprised to see the team increase, and improve, their offer to Johan.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hope the Twins will go a little deeper in the pockets to keep Santana. It will be refreshing to see a small market team keep a superstar.

MLB ERA

That would send a good message to the rest of the league, and to the fans. Some things are more important than money. Keeping a player that has been one of the "faces" of the franchise would let the fans know that this ownership group is serious about treating them with a bit of respect.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins non-tendered outfieler Jason Tyner.
    He's the only player the team is letting go. Tyner likely would have made less than $1 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility, but the Twins still didn't want him back. They could always change their minds later if they end up with a right-handed-hitting starting center fielder. Tyner hit .286/.331/.355 in 304 at-bats last season.
    Kind of shock really. Thought they would have held onto him.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast