Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

Although, I'm a dirty rotten liar, I have one comment more to make, before I'm responded to and get pissy and such.

Clemens had bad luck. The run support was horrible, but it wasn't just that. FWIW, I lowered Carp's RS to Clemens and in his games (applied evenly), it wasn't a major difference (I could be messing up a bit, I did this a couple months ago). However, consider this situation with the scores (I know, really extreme, but humor me)

Pitcher's Team - Opposing Team (assume he went all 9 IP each team, like he's superman)

0-1
    1-2
    1-2
    2-1
    16-4

The pitcher is 2-3 with a 2.00 ERA, a total of 10 ER (say they are all ER) in 45 innings with an average run support of 4 runs per game.

5-1
    4-2
    4-2
    4-1
    3-4

2.00 ERA, 4-1 record, a total of 10 ER in 45 innings with an average run support of 4 runs per game.

Really, even though I like the RS stat, there is more that goes into luck than the win to ERA ratio.

That doesn't remove the likelyhood that Clemens was horribly unlucky for what he did in terms of offensive production and support in the pen, but it's a consideration. It also helps that a lot of games that could have been losses for Carp were NDs, while not a whole lot of wins changed hands with luck (which I can only attribute to durability and a strong back of the bullpen), 21-5 looks more impressive than 21-11 after all (making up numbers here).
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Roger.

Clemens.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    You are isolating stats. and making them out to be more important than they've proven to be. If you actually studied what you were talking about, you would see that Clemens had the superior numbers(although not by a large margin).
    For the last time I am not isolating stats one bit. How am I? Carp did what Clemens couldn't. How is that isolating stats? I am not the one who keep s saying Clemens had the superior stats in which he had a slight lead in all the "important" stats with a hell of a lot less innings. Where are you getting lost. I am done with this as Clemens was deserving but just couldn't do what Willis and Carp did. Any other year Clemens would have won it, but I said that last year about RJ.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Roger Clemens? Roger Clemens! Roger Clemens Roger Clemens Roger Clemens Roger Clemens Roger Clemens Roger Clemens. Roger. Clemens.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pfft, Roy Oswalt should've gotten the Cy Young. Oswalt is sooooooo underrated.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345