Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of the Night: NL Division Series, HOU @ ATL-Game 2

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Game of the Night: NL Division Series, HOU @ ATL-Game 2

vs

Clemens vs Smoltz, hopefully we're going to see an awesome battle between two of the game's current greats.

Braves look to recover behind Smoltz
    Houston at Atlanta 8:00 pm EDT National League Division Series Houston leads, 1-0

ATLANTA (Ticker) -- Six years removed from another important postseason matchup, John Smoltz and Roger Clemens are set to do it again.

Smoltz makes his biggest start since a return to the rotation when he and the Atlanta Braves try to even the National League Division Series with Clemens' Houston Astros on Thursday.

Just as they did in Game One of the 2004 NLDS against the Braves, the Astros struck first, this time with a 10-5 victory in Wednesday's opener. Morgan Ensberg had a postseason franchise-record five RBI and Craig Biggio scored three times in support of Andy Pettitte, who allowed three runs in seven innings.

Atlanta starter Tim Hudson and five relievers were reached for 11 hits, a scene Smoltz (14-7, 3.06 ERA) hopes to avoid Thursday when he and Clemens (13-8, 1.87) hook up. Clemens outdueled Smoltz in Game Four of the 1999 World Series, leading the New York Yankees to a 4-1 series-clinching win over the Braves.

"I think Game Four, last time we hooked up in the World Series, he certainly was on his (game) and he beat us," Smoltz said. "I think we both pitch with our hearts and guts and go after guys, and obviously he's got some hardware that proves it."

That was Smoltz's last playoff start. He is tied with Pettitte with 14 postseason wins, tops among active pitchers.

The 38-year-old Smoltz primarily worked out of the bullpen the next few seasons before his triumphant return to the starting rotation this year. He won his only start against the Astros this year and was 7-3 with a 2.91 ERA at home.

Smoltz originally was slated to start Wednesday's opener but had his start pushed back a day. He has been suffering from a tender sore shoulder and has not pitched since September 23. With manager Bobby Cox leading toward using his Game One starter in Game Four, Hudson was given the nod Wednesday.

"I'm somewhere between an A-minus and an A-plus," Smoltz said about his shoulder. "My control shouldn't be an issue. I've been down this road so many times before. Adrenaline is going to be incredible at this time. You can't duplicate it."

"John says he feels great right now to go his first start," Cox said. "After that, quite honestly, we're not sure. We think he can (go on three days' rest in Game Five)."

Clemens had the best ERA in the major leagues and recovered from a difficult September with a clutch performance Saturday at home.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner shook off a sore hamstring that caused him to miss his previous start by allowing just one run in seven innings of a 3-1 win over the Chicago Cubs that put Houston on the verge of clinching the NL wild card.

"My hamstring bothered me three of four starts in a row and you deal with it, you see if it's good enough," Clemens said. "I feel great, I got stronger."

"Physically, we're all less than 100 percent, but I absolutely want the ball," Smoltz said. "That doesn't mean I'm going to win every time, but I really believe I'm going to. I'm sure my counterpart has the same type of mentality."

In his only prior start at Turner Field, the 43-year-old Clemens gave up six runs in five innings.

"Clemens is A-OK," Astros manager Phil Garner said. "He came through his last start very well. I don't have any concerns about his leg. I think he's 100 percent and he's ready to go."

Game Three is scheduled for Saturday at Houston.
    Article Link

Smoltzie needs to step up big.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Going to this game tonight.

It is really bad weather tonight. Been raining on and off, and been very windy. Hope weather isn't a factor in tonight's game.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Tonight should be a close game considering the talent on the mound but I believe the playoff atmosphere will bring out the best in Smoltz and lead to a Braves win.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Astros 4 Braves 3 with Clemens going 5 and getting a no decision as usual

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Have fun ATLien!

I am going to put some money on this game. I think I have to go with Clemens and the smart bet. I am not too sure the rookie bats on the Braves roster will get on Clemens too much. But before I make my final decision, I will have to go and look at the matchups closer with batter vs. pitcher type stats.

I will let you guys know who I end up betting on. I need money!

This is going to be an insane game, the Braves need this win to stay in it, and I would much rather see them win unless I bet against them. The Braves are such a class organization up and down the entire staff. I really have always enjoyed this team. Heres to a great one fellas!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Have fun ATLien!

I am going to put some money on this game. I think I have to go with Clemens and the smart bet. I am not too sure the rookie bats on the Braves roster will get on Clemens too much. But before I make my final decision, I will have to go and look at the matchups closer with batter vs. pitcher type stats.
    Smart bet? Clemens has been average in his playoff career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml

Code:
    G GS  ERA    W-L  SV CG SHO  IP   H   ER  BB  SO
    +------------------+-----+--+--+------+-----+--+--+---+-----+---+---+---+---+
    30 30   3.54 10-7   0  1   1 180.7 152  71  63 164

Yes, but like your A's, the Braves cannot win a playoff series.

MLB ERA
    unlike your Braves, my A's have won 9 World Series

Yeah, in the 20's.

What have you done for me lately?

MLB ERA
    whatever you say chief...just enjoy your Braves not winning another World Series...

Same to you.

MLB ERA
    Thanks, I will share in your joy of the Braves not winning the World Series

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Smart bet? Clemens has been average in his playoff career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml

Code:
    G GS  ERA    W-L  SV CG SHO  IP   H   ER  BB  SO
    +------------------+-----+--+--+------+-----+--+--+---+-----+---+---+---+---+
    30 30   3.54 10-7   0  1   1 180.7 152  71  63 164

Thanks Prov. I also saw that, both of these pitchers have always been dominant though. There is so much to look at in this game aand it makes it hard to decide on a winner. Smoltz is insane in his playoff career and the Braves are hungry for a win. It is nearly a must win for them tonight, but can their bullpen get it going? Can their rookies continue their success against Clemens? Doesn't Clemens want to win with these Astros really bad? It all must be taken into consideration and it will make for a fantastic battle. But who to bet on? I am going with Clemens and the Astros. Berkman can hit Smoltz and the Braves have not done much of anything in their careers against Clemens. I can't wait!

MLB ERA
    1 - 0 Astros already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast