Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Question To Major League Baseball

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: My Question To Major League Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Would it surprise anyone if Pujols used?
    Yes.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I can't stand how you can only read the words "New York" and not the word "Boston". Your homerism is disgusting! Its not a NY bias, its an EAST COAST bias. There is no "perceived" East Coast bias, its real and everyone knows it. Guess everyone is just a Yankee basher even though we are bashing the media! Sorry Leo, you,re now falsely lumped with me
    Here we go again. Did he ever play in Boston? Why would I mention Boston?

Oh boy, now you are whining about East Coast Bias? The perception of east Coast bias is a bigger joke than you are.

Is that a joke? Have you seen the ratings come playoff time?? The World Series is the least watched championship out of all the major sports (sorry hockey, you're not a major sport anymore). Baseball definitely needs to market itself more now than ever with the poor economy and Arod's outing. The NFL does market players and they do it very well. The NFL makes household names out of these guys. The NBA markets players and game as well. All the big stars in other sports get all the major endorsements, baseball does not.

You honestly don't think the NFL had anything to do with Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, Jason Taylor and now Lawrence Taylor on Dancing With the Stars? Please
    The WS ratings have more to do w/ poor matchups, short series' and late start times than marketing.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Yes.
    Not me. I have always felt he used as I always felt ARod used and many more great players. Just b/c they haven't been outed doesn't mean these guys are clean.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here we go again. Did he ever play in Boston? Why would I mention Boston?

Oh boy, now you are whining about East Coast Bias? The perception of east Coast bias is a bigger joke than you are.

The WS ratings have more to do w/ poor matchups, short series' and late start times than marketing.
    Why would you mention Boston? I don't know, maybe because it was in his quote?? But of course you stopped and made up your mind when you read the words "New York". And to deny an East Coast bias is just retarded so just stop homer, its pointless fighting a battle you can't possibly win. Even people at ESPN acknowledge it!

The WS rating has more to do with the lack of marketing around the sport than it does anything. Short series has nothing to do with it since no one is watching Game 1. Nice try though.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Why would you mention Boston? I don't know, maybe because it was in his quote?? But of course you stopped and made up your mind when you read the words "New York". And to deny an East Coast bias is just retarded so just stop homer, its pointless fighting a battle you can't possibly win. Even people at ESPN acknowledge it!

The WS rating has more to do with the lack of marketing around the sport than it does anything. Short series has nothing to do with it since no one is watching Game 1. Nice try though.
    no it doesnt. It has much more to do with the fact that circumstances has killed the flow of the WS in recent years.

Also, decent starting times would rectify things to an extent. Having a game end around midnight for 2/3 the nation is not conducive to any sport.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What circumstances? What marketing does baseball do for the World Series to make it interesting?? Answer, NONE! Decent starting times would help but when no one knows who is playing no one will watch even if the games started at 6 ET. Why don't people know who is playing in these World Series? Zero marketing for the sport. This isn't hard to figure out. Ask yourself, does baseball promote its sport? According to you, baseball needs no marketing. Baseball playoff rating suggest otherwise. So please just answer one question, what does baseball do to promote the World Series?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Great article on how baseball can do a better job of marketing the World Series.
    Jayson Stark: Rumblings and Grumblings - ESPN

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

and dont forget ratings are down across the board regardless of sports and all. With more options available, ratings for a particular event are not going to be as strong, barring something unique.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

So please just answer one question, what does baseball do to promote the World Series?
    They force feed us Dane Cook telling us there's only one October!
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Exactly. Funny thing was, those promos would only come on DURING THE BALLGAME YOU ARE ALREADY WATCHING! Pathetic attempt MLB. And with that I give you this:
    Yahoo! Video Detail for Saturday Night Live: Baseball Promo: ALCS
    Yahoo! Video Detail for Saturday Night Live: Baseball Promo: NLCS

MLB ERA

There's only one October, and about 300 of these promos.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

"Todd Helton shouldn't have a batting average, he should have a batting outstanding" Priceless

MLB ERA

The Rockies haven't been this good since they beat Hulk Hogan and Mr T in the same move.

AAA ERA

So when exactly did ARod play in Boston?

Does any league market its players better than the NBA? How have NBA ratings been the last decade? It has alot less to do w/ marketing and alot more to do w/ start times.

There is no such thing as East Coast bias, it's an excuse for whiny West Coast fans. if the team/player is good enough they'll get hyped which is why USC hasn't been close to a title in the last few years yet every year they are hyped as the best team, the Lakers got smoked in the Finals and they were the overwhelming favorite last year. Whiny WC fans cannot see that though, they'd rather make excuses.

The only bias is against East Coast fans as we cannot even watch a WSW game end before midnight if we are lucky.

Short series has nothing to do w/ it? So viewership doesn't increase if the series goes 6-7 games and the series is long and exciting?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So when exactly did ARod play in Boston?

There is no such thing as East Coast bias, it's an excuse for whiny West Coast fans.
    I knew your mind shut down after you read "New York" in Leo's comment so thanks for proving it. If you want to go back and read it, Leo wrote about Pujols and why he didn;t get any face time saying "He doesn't play in New York and Boston." referring to the East Coast bias that according to you and only you doesn't exist.

No such thing as an East Coast bias in baseball so says the Yankee fan The rest of America somehow thinks otherwise and even the folks at ESPN who prolong this bias acknowledge it. Listen to the Mike Tirico and SVP Show and they admit it all the time! Micheal Wilbon shows his frustration on PTI during the baseball season. They are tired of it but yet do nothing to do about it. Its not just West Coast fans that "whine" about the obvious, its everyone who doesn't live in the north east. I live in the heartland and everyone will agree there is an East Coast bias in baseball. Not debatable and I'm not going to do so with an nonobjective Yankee homer who can only call people Yankee bashers when they disagree.

Short series have little to do with whether they get good ratings or not. Marketing has more to do with it. You know ratings are based on the individual games and not the series as a whole? Of course if the series did go to a Game 7, more people would watch that individual game but has no reflection on the series as a whole. Game 6, not so much as the ratings prove. Most clinching game gets the most ratings whether its a short series or not.

World Series television ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for missing the entire point of this thread and derailing it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast