Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB blackout rules are out of control

MLB ERA

MLB blackout rules are out of control

I paid $119 for MLB.TV premium and 6 games into the season I've only been able to watch 1 game of my favorite team.

Why?

The first 4 games (against the Astros) is because I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas and am therefore in the Houston blackout zone.

Never mind the fact that Houston is a 6 and a half hour drive from me. Never mind the fact that the game wasn't even in Houston. Never mind the fact that I almost never get Astros games on local cable TV here.

What's the point of blacking me out? Are they expecting me to fly to San Diego and attend the games because I live 6 and a half hours away from Houston, Texas?

I thought the whole point of a blackout for a sporting event was to boost attendance?

The same thing happens when the Padres play St Louis (6 1/2 hr drive), Kansas City (6 1/2 hr drive), and Texas (2 1/2 hr drive)

Basically, I'm glad I'm not a Royals, Rangers, Astros, or Cardinals fan because MLB.TV would be a complete waste of money for me.

Anyways, I finally got to see the Padres get their buts beat by the Dodgers yesterday, but now I can't watch today's Jake Peavy/Brad Penny match up because Fox is showing the Braves/Mets game and would be butt hurt if I choose to watch my favorite team instead via MLB.TV apparently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge baseball fan, I'll watch pretty much any team play pretty much any other team, but not if it's because it's my only option because FOX is afraid of competition.

The irony is, if they didn't have that ridiculous blackout deal where no one else can play a game during FOX Saturday Baseball I'd probably have the Padres game on on my computer and the Braves game on on my TV.

Instead I'm just not going to watch baseball today.

This is retarded. 6 games into my favorite team's season and I've only been able to watch 1 of them.

[/rant]
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Re: MLB blackout rules are out of control

That sucks. I live in Hampton VA and when the Braves play the Nationals it's blacked out. I get the Nationals station here. I hate blackouts all together. If I want to see a game than I expect to see it. We pay $100+/year to watch games and they want to have blackout restrictions? It's stupid.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

For my job, I was at a home in Nebraska the other night when the Rockies and Cardinals were playing. People in this area of Nebraska get both FSN Rocky Mtn and Midwest. BOTH channels were blacked out, and I highly doubt the game was on a local network channel (and I also didn't see it on ESPN/ESPN2) so it would suck to be a fan of either team when they play each other.

Stupid, really.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I hate that also. If you pay for a premimum packsage, it should not matter. That is ridiculous. I totally agree.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I totally agree, it's stupid. If they are charging that much, there shouldn't be a blackout rule.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Oh i see all of ur points and i also agree with you and i am sorry that u are having trouble and i totally agree with you, blackouts are stupid, fortunatly i live in england so i dont have that problem.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrewrock View Post
    Oh i see all of ur points and i also agree with you and i am sorry that u are having trouble and i totally agree with you, blackouts are stupid, fortunatly i live in england so i dont have that problem.
    Do you get the MLB.tv package? Does it cost more since you are across the pond?

Jsut be lucky you can get MLB.TV

I probably won't get it until I am 18

MLB ERA

I guess I chose the wrong day to rant.

Someone else who has it said it was going to be blacked out today due to FOX Saturday Baseball and I took his word for it because they have done that before, but it appears I have today's game.

The blackout rules are still retarded, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I guess I chose the wrong day to rant.

Someone else who has it said it was going to be blacked out today due to FOX Saturday Baseball and I took his word for it because they have done that before, but it appears I have today's game.

The blackout rules are still retarded, though.
    haha lol you know you just made a fool of YOurself looks liKE pads r winning im watching it now.

wow CG for peavey good job nice game.

MLB ERA

It's Peavy, only one E

thanks

MLB ERA

MLB takes action to reduce/eliminate blackouts

Here ya go Hollywood. Your dream haha this is very good news. Blackouts are stupid and don't work. They just piss people off.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Thats awesome news.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast