View Poll Results: Should MLB be allowed to even attempt this?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The NFL is gutless if they allow this to happen

1 9.09%
  • MLB has every right to move a prescheduled NFL game (state your reason below)

5 45.45%
  • Lynch is right, this isn't right and it's very unfair to the Vikings/Lions fans

3 27.27%
  • It won't matter since the Twins are going to sweep the series anyway

1 9.09%
  • Other (giving my reasons in a post below)

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The prospect of moving an NFL game to accomodate MLB

MLB ERA

The prospect of moving an NFL game to accomodate MLB

What are your thoughts on this? I've semi-nicely posted mine here in a thread or two, but I'd like to get a site-wide opinion on this. I'm not sure if this affects any of the other playoffs teams or not, so I'll speak about the one that I am certain that is possibly up in the air.

Game 5 (if necessary) of the ALDS between the Twins and the A's would be at the Metrodome on Sunday, Oct 8. The MN Vikings play on the same day, hosting the Detroit Lions in a noon (CT) game.

My question to you is this. Should MLB be able to push the Vikings to another date, when the NFL date has been set for nearly 6 months?! Then there's the fact that we won't even know until possibly saturday afternoon if this is going to take place. If there's no game 5, it's moot. If there is, then there is a cluster**** that has me really pissed off.

I'll give my arguments/concerns in another post as I'd like to sorta keep the OP unbiased (even though the tone obviously is biased already). Oh, and "who cares about any of these teams anyway" comments will be viewed as really weak. I'm asking a very serious question here and am looking for honest opinions, from fans of both baseball as well as football.

MLB ERA
    I have a number of problems with this, but it all really stems back to one thing. This is clearly a complete mountain of disrespect for the Vikings and Lions fans. Expecting fans of another sport to change their schedules in which that's not always an option is in such poor taste.

If the Twins/White Sox could play last saturday for an early game and the Gophers/Wolverines could play in the night game in the same stadium on the same day last week (Sept 30th), why the hell can't MLB work around the NFL schedule?

Also, there is a travel day this Thursday. Why is there no travel day between game 4 and game 5?

I just find this beyond rude, overly condecending and completely unprofessional of MLB to even have brought this to the table. If the NFL allows this, I'm going to be losing respect (not that I have much for either sport) for the people who run these two sports.

If you'd like to see my more colorful (read that as very rated-R version), you can do so by clicking here

AAA ERA
    It has happened alot in the past, whenever there is a conflict the NFL game is moved.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If the A's make the World Series, then games 2 and 7 would be at Oakland and the Raiders would have to move those 2 games. Tough shit. The Raiders, Vikings, and Lions suck anyway. Also, this is why they shouldn't use the same stadium. The Twins won't sweep, but it might not go 5 games. Who knows, but the playoffs are a lot more important than a meaningless, early season NFL game between shitty teams.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The NFL should be more prepared. It's not like baseball suddenly came up with a thing called the playoffs.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If it came to this, would it not be possible for the Vikings-Lions to play at noon CT, then as soon as the game is over - at around 3 pm CT or so - immediately convert the field to baseball, and the Twins-A's can therefore start their game 5 at 8 pm CT.

MLB ERA
    It is much easier to change the field from baseball to football than the other way around because of the mound. It is far easier to take it away quickly than to put it out quickly. The grounds crew takes several hours making sure it is correct.
    If anything is to move, it will be the football game.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    The NFL schedule has been set in stone for so long, and as far as I'm aware, the MLB schedule has been set in stone for about... oh... two days. It's dumb to move the NFL game, it's even dumber for the MLB to say "hey let's put game 5 on this day," and even more idiotic if they move the NFL game to do it.

MLB ERA
    Baseball is a lot better than football and it's the playoffs so yes they will moved the NFL team to another date.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lions really have fans, though? Seriously?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It wont matter because the simple fact they are going 4.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Apparently my gripe went over some of your heads. Maybe I need to type it slower for some of ya.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    The baseball playoffs come WAY BEFORE a scheduled football game, IMO. The Vikings could always reschedule it either later in the day or a Monday.

This is what I hate about having two professional teams sharing one stadium. Build a stadium specifically for football and baseball.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Apparently my gripe went over some of your heads. Maybe I need to type it slower for some of ya.

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with it and/or don't care. Maybe if I were a bigger NFL fan, then I'd care more.

Let's see...a major league baseball playoff game or watching a shitty team run out the clock in the 4th quarter because they're up by 2 scores

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If I have to wait until Monday night to hear Paul Allen ripping Jon Kitna after his third pick, I'm killing Johan Santana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast