Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn's Asking Price

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Adam Dunn's Asking Price

I wouldn't go four years on Dunn. He is a 6'6", 240 lb OF who refuses to play first. That kind of body is bound to break down at some point. This will be Dunn's 9th season coming up.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I wouldn't go four years on Dunn. He is a 6'6", 240 lb OF who refuses to play first. That kind of body is bound to break down at some point. This will be Dunn's 9th season coming up.
    He didnt refuse to play first. 2006 he turned down an opportunity to play for the US in the WBC to work on his defense at first base. The Reds signed Scott Hatteberg so Dunn went back to play LF.

This past year they had Joey Votto to play 1b. Votto's d is arguably worse according to scouts in LF than even Dunn so what would be the point of playing Dunn at 1b with Votto here?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA

Dunn is Burrell with slightly more power. I would sign him for 9 million per. As a DH. I would never stick him in the field ever again...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So, what's more likely..

these guys swallow their pride, take a deal a lot less than what they initially wanted or go without a team by the time spring training hits and have to maybe even join a team with the season in progress?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

The economy probably won't be much better when the season is in progress so I don't think joining a team mid season would be a good option.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    So, what's more likely..

these guys swallow their pride, take a deal a lot less than what they initially wanted or go without a team by the time spring training hits and have to maybe even join a team with the season in progress?
    If Dunn can't get a decent long-term contract, I imagine he'll take a respectable amount, ie 8 million or so, for a one year deal and then test the market again next year. He'll only be 30 next offseason and with a good season and an economy on the rebound (or so we can hope for), he'll have better odds of getting a contract he desires.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He didnt refuse to play first. 2006 he turned down an opportunity to play for the US in the WBC to work on his defense at first base. The Reds signed Scott Hatteberg so Dunn went back to play LF.

This past year they had Joey Votto to play 1b. Votto's d is arguably worse according to scouts in LF than even Dunn so what would be the point of playing Dunn at 1b with Votto here?
    Dunn is refusing to move to first for this upcoming season. He is hurting himself by saying that so yes, Dunn is refusing to play first.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    So, what's more likely..

See Kyle Lohse from last year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn is refusing to move to first for this upcoming season. He is hurting himself by saying that so yes, Dunn is refusing to play first.
    Dunn REPORTEDLY is refusing to move to 1st. I could easily start a blog and start saying "according to a source with the team..." and it could mean squat. That is speculation/rumor. The facts were that Dunn was willing to move and he was quoted as saying he was fine playing 1B with the D'Backs. I am not saying the reports aren't true, but we just do not know what is in his mind without getting a direct statement from him and his past actions are a better indicator of what he'll do in the future than nameless sources.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Then its a ton of reports stating this and I believe it to be true. Too many intelligent people are saying it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Then its a ton of reports stating this and I believe it to be true. Too many intelligent people are saying it.
    A lot of "intelligent" people have said a lot of things that have never came true in this game. Don't believe everything you read reef.

Plus, some reports state that he has only told SOME teams that. If Dunn was so adamant about this refusal to move, I would think all teams would have been told this. For all we know, he could refuse 1B/DH to AL teams and stress to some NL teams that he wants to be in the OF still on a regular basis and the source took liberty with that comment.

Oh and over the last 5 seasons, only nine players have more runs scored + RBIs than Dunn and those are two stats that fit right with the old school metrics most GM's still rely on. (Unrelated to the discussion at hand, I just wanted to throw that in there as I was just reading about that.)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't believe everything I read for sure but when it has been written by many, many people inside baseball over the past four months, I tend to think this is true. Refusing to play 1B/DH in the AL is still hurting his value.

I bet Abreu is on that list of nine players.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Abreu is not.

And I agree, it is hurting his opportunities if true.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, Abreu has more runs scored+RBI than Dunn over the last five seasons. Its not even that close really.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I overlooked him on the list, my mistake. I didn't run the numbers and Abreu's name didn't stick with the likes of A-Rod, Ortiz, Pujols, Teixeira, etc in my mind. Adam Dunn is a pitiful 10th in that ranking though with those guys. If we are to believe rumors and Dunn gets a max of $5 million, I wonder if fans could die of too much happiness because that would be an insane bargain.
    (Note: I don't believe the $5 million estimate... but I don't think Dunn is getting his asking price either.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast