Thread: Carlos Lee the Astro?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Astros Carlos Lee the Astro?

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, people around baseball all believe Carlos Lee will sign with the Astros.
    The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice has been suggesting the same thing. Lee has a cattle ranch near Houston and Minute Maid would be a great place for him to hit. Also, the Astros seem prepared to spend big for another bat. Given that he'll likely command from $13 million to $15 million per year, Lee is a poor long-term investment, especially for an NL team. However, he'd provide quite a boost to the Astros' offense next year. His arrival would put Luke Scott in right and make it even more likely that Morgan Ensberg will be traded.
    I would rather throw that money at Soriano than Lee. Lee would make a good replacement for Manny if the Sox ever did trade him.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Astros should get some bullpen help as well as a starting pitcher.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Soriano will command a contract of 17-19 million a year. I think Lee should sign in Houston. His career would talk off hitting in that park. But again who really knows where he will sign..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think the Rangers will be players in the C. Lee bidding as well. UUUMMM.. they play in Texas and he could spend time as a DH and put Nelson Cruz in LF. Just an idea. What do you think Molina? Does that look good to ya?

MLB ERA
    I really hope he doesn't go to the Astros. I would be all for anything that keeps Lee in north Texas. If they can't resign him then they basically gave away Mench and Cordero. I know they got Cruz too but he has yet to really show anything.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think Cruz just needs a chance to prove himself and that may allow Matthews, Jr. to go elsewhere if they can re-sign Lee. That will provide protection and another powerful bat and bat Cruz low in the lineup and allow him to gain experience and have no pressure that way

MLB ERA
    From what I have read, the Rangers top resigning priority is on Matthews. With the way he hit last year, and his incredible defense, they really can't afford to lose him. Carlos Lee would probably be more suited for the DH roll anyway.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I hope the Rangers don't overspend on Matthews. Is he a one year wonder? Just wondering since it was his contract year! Anyways, he is a good outfielder, always has been, the hitting has been his problem.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I hope the Rangers don't overspend on Matthews. Is he a one year wonder? Just wondering since it was his contract year! Anyways, he is a good outfielder, always has been, the hitting has been his problem.
    He has been a much better hitter even in his previous 2 years in Texas than he ever was anywhere else. Obviously he didn't do as good his previous 2 years as he did this year, but he was still a solid hitter.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

cool... fair enough! Good luck to your Rangers next season... Get some pitching and you will contend in that division..

MLB ERA
    I agree with that. The Rangers need some pitching -- they always need pitching -- but bringing Lee back would be a good move, for the reasons given above. He can play a bit in the field and be the regular DH. His hitting ability has never been questioned. A full season in Arlington could bring him into the elite sluggers' group in the bigs.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Yeah, what catman said!