Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRue being shopped?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

LaRue being shopped?

read elsewhere that he was being shopped. Does anyone have any solid info on this?

MLB ERA
    Extremely expected after the Ross trade.

Also extremely stupid if there wasn't a deal already in place. As I said before, I can't see much of a market for him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    why not? I thought you said he was top 5 catcher in MLB?

MLB ERA
    Not that many teams looking for catchers over 30 who are making 4.5 million per year. Look at the interest that Bengie Molina got.

Don't the Dodgers still have a need for a catcher?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    No I don't think they do. They have two young studs coming up. But I think they are in the running to get Zito, so they may have an extra SP soon!

MLB ERA
    I've heard that the team is looking to possibly trade him, but nothing is imminent.

No one in Sarasota had heard of the LaRue/Penny rumor as of earlier today.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks CRF.

Brad Penny would be a welcome addition when it comes to a LaRue trade for sure.

No, don't trade J-Law! Seriously..we're not likely to compete this year, no use trading another fan favorite.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yes, trade LaRue. I am tired of hearing "Country Boy Can Survive" every freakin time he comes up to bat. Get a new song, hilljack!

BTW, is there any way we can package LaRue and his John Deere hat for a front line starter? I heard that John Deere hat has a pretty good fastball
    rf28

Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    No, don't trade J-Law! Seriously..we're not likely to compete this year, no use trading another fan favorite.
    just out of curiosity, since it's a sentiment that is repeated like a mantra around here, what would it take for people to think the reds were likely to compete this year?

we've taken a small step back from our offense, and probably 3 significant steps forward with our starting pitching (williams over ortiz, arroyo over hudson, milton '06 over milton '05) and probably improved our pen with the addition of hammond and improvments from coffey and belisle from experience.

have reds fans just become too jaded? Is it possible that short of eric gagne, roger clemens, and albert pujols, there are no players that will make us competitive in people's eyes?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I guess you have been the only one that has been optimistic so far. I like that too because it is clear that this team is better than last season. Far better? No, but I do believe they can contend.

This is likely the first mention of me saying that about this '06 team. I think we do have a great chance to contend. I do not want to say that Milton will be better for sure because of one outing, but it is a positive outlook to take right now. I think our rotation is significantly better than last season for sure. But to get leaps and bounds we should add one more quality arm. If we do not kill our offense doing this, we have a shot.

EdE and Felo are going to be the ones that could make us or break us outside of the pitching. I am looking for them to have a huge impact this season. I am ready to see this team become the underdog victor we all want to see.

the thing is, people don't seem to really recognize just how historically terrible the reds pitching was last season. It's just not that hard to get better when your at the very bottom. doing some very conservative projections, just the changes to starting pitching should improve the team by around 100 runs to around 85 wins, and that doesn't take into account all of the other potential improvements to the team (like no Danny Graves).

i certainly don't think the reds on paper stack up with the best teams in the NL, but it took 89 games to win the wildcard last year, and anything can happen when you get down to the last weeks. maybe they add a pitcher at the deadline, or Homer Bailey races through the minors and gets a september callup, or they trade Larue and add another win here or there. that's at least competing.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    The Reds still have well below-average pitching. Arroyo isn't a groundball pitcher and he's playing in GAB. Dave Williams is shit. Milton should improve, but we don't know how much. I don't expect Weathers to do as well as he did last year. And now the offense isn't gonna carry games for us. Saying we'll contend because we picked up two average to below-average pitchers and a pair of extremely old and not very good relievers while dropping two significant offensive players seems stupid.

AA ERA
    I dont argue that this team compete. But I would like to see this team compete in August/September. We have had a few years where the Reds are playing well and even in first place in June. The all star break comes, and things fall apart. On paper this team can win, but as the cliche says, games arent played on paper. If everyone plays up to potential, then things can happen. The Reds have to show me something past the all star break before I will be optimistic about this team playing for the wild card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast