Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Discussion

MLB ERA
    Plus, Randa has played above career norms. as I thought he would. He had been having some issues lately, but he might have gotten back into gear tonight. I expect him to go on another "hot streak" soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Just wanted to post some Minor League tidbits since I havent been around. All of these from ondeckbaseball.com

RF Chris Denorfia made his Triple-A debut, going 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in Louisville's (CIN) 3-0 home victory over Syracuse (TOR). Denorfia definitely earned his promotion. The 24-year-old outfielder hit .330 with 17 doubles, 3 triples, 7 homers, 40 runs scored, and 26 RBIs with Double-A Chattanooga.

From a few days ago
    RHP Bobby Basham scattered 9 hits in 6 innings of 2-run ball to even his record at 2-2 while SS Hector Tiburcio went 3-for-4 with a double, 2 runs scored, and an RBI, as Sarasota (CIN) shellacked Palm Beach (STL), 10-2. Basham is trying to put his career back on track after undergoing major shoulder surgery. Not an easy task. The 25-year-old righty has a 3.93 ERA after 7 games. He's walked just 4 batters in 34.1 innings. Tiburcio has a chance to make the majors as a reserve infielder. He's currently hitting .292.

RHP Homer Bailey struck out 5 batters in 4 scoreless innings of one-hit ball in Dayton's (CIN) 3-2 road win over West Michigan (DET). Bailey was making his first appearance since May 11th. He had been sidelined with basically a tired arm. The 19-year-old flame-thrower has not given up an earned run in 19 straight innings. His ERA has shrunk to 1.91 and he's fanned 40 batters in 28.1 innings pitched. Bailey's ceiling is very, very high. I consider him the best prospect in the Midwest League

AA ERA
    Good article about Steve Kelly in Courier Journal

Kelly producing big numbers despite getting little attention
    By Brian Bennett

When scouts and so-called experts discuss top pitching prospects in the Cincinnati Reds' organization, they rarely mention Steve Kelly's name.

By numbers alone, that doesn't make much sense. Kelly is only 25 and has succeeded at every level. In his first Triple-A season with the Louisville Bats, the right-hander is 3-1 and leads the International League with a 1.88 ERA in eight starts.

There's just one small thing.

"I don't throw hard," Kelly said. "If you look at magazines that rate prospects, they usually talk about the guys who were drafted in the first couple of rounds and guys who throw hard. I'm not one of those guys."

No, he's just a guy who knows how to pitch. He keeps hitters off balance with a sinking fastball, two changeups and a curve. He gets ground balls and lets his defense back him up.

"He's the kind of guy whom a lot of hitters take comfortable 0-for-3s against," Bats pitching coach Mack Jenkins said. "He's not blowing you away or making you look bad. He just doesn't let you center the ball. He gets a lot of off-the-end-of-the-bats.

"There are a lot of those guys around making lots of money."

Kelly has a minor-league record of 41-20. Last year for Double-A Chattanooga, he tied for the Southern League lead with 12 victories and was second with a 2.96 ERA.

But that didn't merit an invite to major league spring training. He's not even on the Reds' 40-man roster.

Baseball America described Kelly as a poor man's Jeff Suppan and ranked him as the organization's 18th best prospect. He was only the seventh-rated pitcher in a system not exactly blessed with an abundance of high-profile arms.

"If I sink under radar, that's fine with me," he said. "Not being on a big-time prospect list kind of takes some pressure off me, really. I don't go out there with all these magazines talking about me, so I can surprise some people."

Kelly surprised Jenkins with just how hard he has thrown. In spring training, his fastball hovered around the mid-80s. But once the season got started, Kelly has stayed in the 89-91 mph range, occasionally hitting 92.

He mixes that in with his changeups, one of which acts like a cutter and both of which he throws with the same arm action. Kelly said he "accidentally" discovered the cut changeup a couple of years ago and began to throw it reliably during games last season.

"He can throw any of his three pitches at any time in the count, and he's made the hitters swing at his pitches," Jenkins said. "He's got the formula now. It's just a matter of executing his pitches and how he adjusts when hitters see him for the second and third time."

The Reds have spent years searching for home-grown starting pitchers, and Kelly could fit that description. He was born in Cincinnati and went to high school in Fairfield, which is about 30 minutes north of Great American Ball Park. He dreamed of pitching for the Reds, who selected him in the fourth round of the 2001 draft out of Georgia Tech.

Kelly lives in Hamilton, Ohio, and would figure to have an immense following if he got called up to the Reds. His numbers are making that close to happening, even if his name isn't on many so-called experts' lips.

"I'm not too worried about that," Kelly said of his lack of hype. "As long as I get an opportunity, that's all that really matters."

AA ERA
    Louisville won tonight 9-4

Box score

The update you all have been waiting for
    Aurilia: 1-3, a double, 2 runs, RBI, 2 BB, 1 K
    Kelly 2-4
    EdE 1-2 with 2 runs and 2 doubles

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Louisville won tonight 9-4

Box score

The update you all have been waiting for
    Aurilia: 1-3, a double, 2 runs, RBI, 2 BB, 1 K
    Kelly 2-4
    EdE 1-2 with 2 runs and 2 doubles
    Yup. He'll likely be up on Monday.

Anyway, maybe griffeyfan will have some more to add since he was at the game.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ed E is just going to be a stud. When he fills out he will be a 30 homerun threat easy.

AA ERA
    Chattanooga lost 6-1

Box score

Hopper 2-4
    Jimenez is 0-2
    Gardner witht he loss, 6 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs, 0 BB, 5K

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Ed E is just going to be a stud. When he fills out he will be a 30 homerun threat easy.
    No doubt mission. I cant wait to see what he can do. If only we can keep Dunn, Pena, EdE and Felipe all in the same lineup.

MLB ERA
    I can't wait for Ed E to come up. O'Brien needs to think of trading Randa at some point so we can get something for him, because he should bring something fairly decent, even at his age. I think there will still be teams who want his solid glove and pretty solid bat next year.

AA ERA
    Sarasota won 7-3

Box score

Ruiz 0-4
    Tiburcio 2-5

AA ERA
    Dayton lost 4-3

Box score

Janish 0-4
    Guiterrez 1-3 with a triple and a walk
    Thigpen 3 IP, 2 hits, 1 BB, 2K

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks volzok!

Really sucks that Aurilia had a good game. We need him to never get a hit again. Great job by EdE once again too. I agree that he has 30 HR ability, and looks like Felo does now too. Our offense sucks right now, but we have good possibilities with the young talent.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Votto has recently came back to life after a dud of a start to the season. I am really hoping Clement will fall to us in the draft.

C- Clement, 1B- Votto, 2B- Freel/Bergolla, 3B- Ed E, SS- FeLo.... and then with our 4 current OF'ers and spects.... we have the possiblity for a dangerous lineup.

AA ERA
    I agree with you mission, but I just dont think Clement is going to be there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't think so either, just hopeful thinking on my part. I am not thrilled with Teagarden at ALL. 2nd round? Sure. But we need a catcher with serious offensive upside.

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast