Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds scraping the bottom of the barrel for another starter?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I never said that obtaining Soriano would be a good move...all I said was that is the type of deal that could be made during ST...major trades don't usually happen during ST unless it's an unusual situation like that.
    This is an unusual situation though because the Reds just got a new GM and a new owner. Which means we have a front office that may want to make things happen even though it is late.

MLB ERA
    Ohhh ok yeah Ryan Freel, Chone Figgins

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Ohhh ok yeah Ryan Freel, Chone Figgins
    What does that mean man? I am not sure what you are saying here.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    This is an unusual situation though because the Reds just got a new GM and a new owner. Which means we have a front office that may want to make things happen even though it is late.
    All that means is that the Reds have the desire...that's not the same situation for other teams as it takes two to deal and that also doesn't mean other teams are even willing to do the same...let alone give up a stud just as the season is going to start.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    agreed Providence and that is just another part of the puzzle. At least we know that one side has the desire. Now it's time to see if we can find a team that has that same desire but to get offense for their pitching. The scenario presented yesterday with Kearns presented that type of desire from both sides. Even though we all believe this is a falicy, it is the type of scenario the Reds may be looking for.

MLB ERA
    Oh i meant that there are still a few...
    i just forgot them

MLB ERA
    Well, the Reds apparently have been rejected by a bottom of the barrel pitcher...

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2006...1612-8733r.htm

VIERA, Fla. -- The Washington Nationals' wide-open competition for starting rotation spots may soon have another name thrown into the mix: Pedro Astacio.

The Nationals have offered the 36-year-old right-hander a non-guaranteed, minor-league contract to report to spring training, and baseball sources said he's expected to decide between the Nationals and San Diego Padres within 48 hours.
    high-larious...as I said earlier, the only way the Reds are going to get good pitching is to develop it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks Providence.

Maybe Krivsky came to his senses and realized that Astacio is not the way to go. I certainly did not want him on this team. He just would not be an asset to this team at all.

MLB ERA
    Yes, I didn't mean to make it seem like Astacio was the one doing the rejecting...it was just an assumption on my part because GAB is not exactly a pitcher's park and RFK is...I'm not quite sure about Petco...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah, PETCO is definitely a pitchers park. I remember Klesko hating it when it first opened because it was too hard to go yard there.

Astacio likely does not like GABP, but if he were offered a little money or a major league contract, he would have signed. Probably would not have been to costly for the Reds, but I like to think that Krivsky came to his senses.

Good points Provi.

MLB ERA
    Petco and RFK are the two best pitcher's parks in baseball.

MLB ERA
    Yea, I knew RFK was, I just wasn't sure about Petco. I get Petco and Citzen's Bank park confused sometimes as to which is a hitter's and which is a pitcher's park.

AA ERA
    Maybe Krivsky came to his senses and realized that Astacio is not the way to go. I certainly did not want him on this team. He just would not be an asset to this team at all.
    I agree. I would rather see a young guy any day on our staff then going with the old Bowden motto,"Maybe he will have a career year and pitch like himself 5 years ago." Astacio just isnt going to do it at GAB. Good call.

AA ERA
    Maybe not.... Per Lancaster blog
    Despite a report today in the Washington Times that Pedro Astacio will choose between the Nationals and Padres, the Reds believe they're still in the picture.

Haven't been able to get in touch with Astacio's agent, but if he gets back to me at any point, I'll let you know.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh man! That changes everything! Good find volzok. +rep.

What do you guys think about this? It could be a disastrous signing. I would rather take the chance with Wilson. If he isn't healthy, I would rather see Germano get a shot than Astacio. I don't hate the guy, but you don't get a guy trying to rejuvenate his career and have them have to pitch in our ballpark. Not a good fit at all.

Anyone else flaming over this?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast