Thread: Q & A with Standridge

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Q & A with Standridge

What career would you have if you weren't a pro ballplayer?

I think I'd probably try to be a dentist. I was going to study kinesiology in college. I'm always fascinated by how the body works, so I'd be some kind of doctor or dentist. If you're a dentist, you can make your own hours and make a boatload of money [laughs].

What do you remember about your first car?

The first car I had was actually my grandmother's car. I drove that for a year and a half. It was a Toyota Tercel -- a little bitty thing. I couldn't afford anything else. I drove that for a year and a half. Then, my first car my parents bought me was a '96 Chevrolet S-10 red extended cab pickup truck, and I absolutely loved it.

How did you manage to fit in the Tercel?

[Laughs] Oh, it was tough. You had to put the seat back all the way, you know? Me and my buddies had a lot of fun in that car, just messing around.

Here's a random question: Have you ever had any random thoughts pop into your head while on the mound?

For some reason, sometimes you have random thoughts. You look up in the stands and say, 'What is that guy doing?' You remember what somebody's wearing in the stands, and then you're like, 'What am I thinking about? [Laughs]. Let me get back to the task at hand.'

It's human nature, I suppose. If you could face any player in baseball history, who would it be, and why?

I'd like to face Ted Williams. He was a lefty, and I'm a right-handed pitcher, so it would be even more of an advantage to him. But to face the greatest hitter who ever lived would be neat. I think I could get him out. I'd be confident I could, but I have no idea what I'd throw him.

What's the best present you've ever received?

Probably last year for my birthday my wife, Joy, bought me a four-wheeler. Probably the best gift I've been given.

What's the dumbest thing you and your friends did as kids?

Probably throwing water balloons off an overpass at cars. That's pretty dumb. Let me not tell some of the things we've done, so I'll just leave it at that. We didn't get caught for that, but we got caught for other things [laughs].

Do you have any hobbies away from baseball?

I love playing golf, I love camping. I've really gotten into hunting the past couple years. I love being outside. Put on my boots and a t-shirt. I love being outside, whether working in the yard or camping or whatever. That's where I get my fun. I love being outside.

What's your biggest pet peeve?

People driving with their blinkers on. That really bothers me. If you're going to turn, turn!

If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring one CD and one DVD, what would you bring and why?

That's a tough question. I think I would bring something funny. But then I'm thinking it's got to be something that will keep me going. For the album, I would say one of Jeremy Camp's albums. Either him or George Strait. I don't know what movie. I'm going to say "Anchorman" or "Rocky 4." Because "Anchorman" is going to keep me sane. But "Rocky 4" is going to give me the will to push harder to get out of there.

Do you have any bad habits you've tried to correct but haven't been able to?

I do have a bad habit. My wife says when I get out of the shower, I don't close the curtain. And not putting the toilet seat down for her.

If you could have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be, and why?

It's going to have to be a movie star. I'd probably say ... golly! These are tough questions. I needed some practice. I don't know who I would choose. Man, I've got no ideas. Who would I choose? It can be any celebrity? I'd say Nolan Ryan, just to pick his brain and talk about stuff.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Jeremy Camp is an awesome singer. I love his albums.

I already liked Standridge as he has some really good stuff, now I think I like him even more. I hope he gets something going for us next season.

MLB ERA
    Standridge blows. He can't control his fastball and the rest of his pitches are meh.

MLB ERA
    Yeah. I don't care for him either.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You guys don't like his slider? It definitely needs to be fixed for control, but that thing has a nice bite to it.