Thread: LaRue's choice of TV programming: Baseball or Movies... No, Deer hunting

MLB ERA

LaRue's choice of TV programming: Baseball or Movies... No, Deer hunting

Hancock hopes he'll see Cincy before Sept. 1

By Sean McClelland

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The latest chapter in the Josh Hancock saga unfolded Saturday when the right-hander threw 40-50 pitches in the bullpen and seemed pleased.

"I felt great," he said.

He also felt frustrated, as evidenced by how he wound up and threw his glove into his locker after returning to the clubhouse.

The oft-injured hurler must wonder if he will ever catch a break.

Once penciled in as a potential mainstay in the rotation, he suffered a groin injury in spring training that shelved him. Then, in his latest rehab start, he woke up with inflammation in his elbow.

The goal now is to convince the Reds they shouldn't wait until Sept. 1, when rosters expand, to activate him.

"I don't know why they should, because you've got to make a roster move anyway for me to come off," Hancock said. "It's just really frustrating.

"I don't know what they have in store for me. I don't know if I have to do another rehab. I feel healthy and ready to go. I don't want to miss too many days by waiting and waiting."

Another bullpen session is next, either Monday or Tuesday.

Players back Narron

He works cheap, so even if the players had not responded to him as well as they have, Jerry Narron's chances of returning as Reds manager next season probably were good.

In case there's any doubt about what the players think, listen to Sean Casey:

"I think every guy in here loves Jerry. I think we're comfortable with him, familiar with him. I think everyone likes the way he runs the team, runs the clubhouse. I just think he's straight-up with everybody. And he's been in the big leagues. That's a huge respect factor for the guys in here. And I think we all respect him as a man, too."

Will Casey make his feelings known to management?

"I'll definitely put in my two cents toward the end of the year," he said. "My opinion is he definitely should come back."

Switching channels

Pregame TV options in the clubhouse included the Little League World Series, poker, a major-league game between the Yankees and White Sox and even the movie Speed.

None appealed to catcher Jason LaRue. What would he prefer to watch?

"Deer hunting," he said.

Extra bases

• Ray Olmedo got the start at second base Saturday, Rich Aurilia played third and Edwin Encarnacion sat. In five previous starts, Olmedo was hitting .389 (7-for-18) with an RBI and three stolen bases.

• Utility man Aaron Holbert, promoted last week when Ryan Freel went on the DL, is primarily an infielder.

Saturday found him working in left field. "It's always helpful, even if I'm never asked to go out there," he said. "Even for later in life if I'm coaching and helping others."

• If a stat existed to show how many times a hitter was robbed by a first baseman, Casey would be well in the lead.

Everyone from Giants Gold Glover J.T. Snow to Diamondbacks rookie Conor Jackson seems to come up with highlight-reel material against him, whether diving toward the line or leaping toward the heavens.

"I agree with that," said a laughing Casey, batting .314 in spite of it all. "Seriously, it's been ridiculous. Yeah, get that stat for me."

Contact Sean McClelland at 225-2408.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Please, please, PLEASE do not bring Narron back.

MLB ERA
    I agree. I don't want him back either. His lineups are inconsistent(at least Miley was more consistent) and I think he overmanages quite often.

Bring in someone new!

That could certainly happen if the ownership changes some have mentioned come to fruition(ie Lindner selling all of his ownership shares, Allen and O'Brien both getting fired(along with much of the coaching staff), and the new owners having a lot more financial flexibility to not only keep the players we want to keep, but to add additional payroll).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    It's not like Lindner doesn't have the money to keep players, it's just that he doesn't want to spend it. He's one of the richest owners in all of sports.

MLB ERA
    One of the richest guys in America for that matter(I think he's around #350 on the latest Top 500 list).