Thread: Narron on Aurilia 5th in order:"Rich has done a great job for us with guys on bases"

MLB ERA

Narron on Aurilia 5th in order:"Rich has done a great job for us with guys on bases"

LaRue's the last to know
    A day later, catcher discovers his job being shared

By John Fay

Enquirer staff writer

When Reds manager Jerry Narron said Thursday that the catcher's job was going to be shared by Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin, he said it to reporters.

It didn't get back to LaRue, the erstwhile starter, until Friday.

"If that's going to happen, somebody needs to let me know," he said. "The communications broke down somewhere."

So will he talk to Narron?

"You better believe I am," LaRue said.

That meeting took place before Friday's game with the Milwaukee Brewers.

"We talked," Narron said. "But he didn't come to me."

Translation: Narron brought in LaRue to explain things.

What Narron said to reporters was: "Javy is, right now, probably playing the best baseball of his career. He's definitely going to get some playing time and I'm just basically going to have to do the same thing with Javy and Jason that we're going to do with (Austin) Kearns and (Wily Mo) Peņa."

Valentin has been on a tear at the plate. He has five home runs in his last three starts.

"Javy has been hot," LaRue said. "The last three days, he's been unbelievable. But nobody told me my job was up to be lost."

Valentin has been swinging well for some time. Going into Friday's game - which he started - Valentin was hitting .348 with nine home runs and 22 RBI in his last 23 games.

LaRue has been no slouch at the plate, either. In his last 36 games, he's hitting .309 with seven home runs and 27 RBI.

Of course, hitting is secondary to a catcher's job.

The Reds' ERA is 5.21 with Valentin catching and 5.76 with LaRue catching. The Reds went into Friday 15-17 when Valentin starts and 25-37 when LaRue starts.

HANCOCK THROWS: Josh Hancock, on the disabled list all year with a strained right groin, threw 50 pitches in a simulated game Friday.

"I can get big-league hitters out right now," he said. "I might go to Dayton or Louisville and get shelled, but up here I can get guys out."

The next step for Hancock is to throw a bullpen session Sunday.

He said he'll pitch in a minor-league game somewhere in five days.

Hancock has had numerous setbacks.

"My optimism is guarded," he said. "I'll be happy when I get activated."

Hancock was hitting 89 mph on the scoreboard reading - about what he normally pitches.

"He looked good," Narron said. "The ball had good movement."

NEW LOOK LINEUP: Narron had Joe Randa in the No. 2 spot in the batting order and Rich Aurilia hitting fifth for the first time all year Friday.

"Rich has done a great job for us with guys on bases," Narron said. "We moved him down there and we'll see what happens."

Aurilia went into Friday hitting .339 with runners in scoring position, best on the team, and 100 points higher than Randa.

WEBER REHAB: Ben Weber threw one scoreless inning, 13 pitches, in the first game of a rehabilitation assignment Thursday for Single-A Dayton.

Weber has been on the DL since May 24 with a bulging disc in his neck. He is expected to throw for the Dragons again tonight.

FARM REPORT: Edwin Encarnacion went 2-for-4 with an RBI double to extend his hitting streak to 10 games in Triple-A Louisville's 1-0 win over Pawtucket.

Left-hander Travis Wood, the Reds' second-round pick in this year's draft, still hasn't allowed a run. He went three innings in the Gulf Coast Reds' 1-0 victory over the GCL Twins Friday.

Wood, 18, struck out six and allowed two hits. Wood has allowed only seven hits and has struck out 31 in 172/3 innings.

NEXT: The Reds play the Brewers in the second game of the three-game series tonight.

Left-hander Brandon Claussen (4-7, 4.22 ERA) takes on right-hander Victor Santos (2-10, 3.82) in a 7:10 p.m. game.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Narron's right. You gotta give Aurilia credit. He's been one of the best clutch hitters on this team. He doesn't fit into the future of this team so I'd still like to see him dealt at the deadline but maybe the younger sluggers on this teamcan learn something from Aurilia concerning his approach with RISP

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wood is off to such a great start. That's an amazing K/9.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Narron's right. You gotta give Aurilia credit. He's been one of the best clutch hitters on this team. He doesn't fit into the future of this team so I'd still like to see him dealt at the deadline but maybe the younger sluggers on this teamcan learn something from Aurilia concerning his approach with RISP

Actually, he's not right, since Aurilia's overall performance doesn't make him a 5th hitter. His clutch hitting is negated by his overall poor hitting.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Wood is off to such a great start. That's an amazing K/9.

That's ridiculous. Almost a 2 K/IP rate. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Actually, he's not right, since Aurilia's overall performance doesn't make him a 5th hitter. His clutch hitting is negated by his overall poor hitting.
    By saying he's right I was referring to the title of the thread and that is that "Aurilia has done a great job for us with guys on base."

Do you stand by your comment that Narron's statement is wrong?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    By saying he's right I was referring to the title of the thread and that is that "Aurilia has done a great job for us with guys on base."

Do you stand by your comment that Narron's statement is wrong?
    That statement is right, but he's not right for hitting Aurilia 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    That statement is right, but he's not right for hitting Aurilia 5th.
    I tend to agree with you but Narron would sure beat us in a jury trial since he can present the evidence of that lineup producing 11 runs in 8 innings.

As long as he insists on batting Casey where Dunn should hit the lineup will always be a little screwed up.

MLB ERA
    I wonder what he's gonna do now that Randa is gone...