Page 27 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Reds Rumblings

MLB ERA
    How touching...

Huggins: ‘It was a good run’
    Fights back tears as he speaks to die-hard fans

By Christy Arnold

Enquirer staff writer

SYCAMORE TOWNSHIP – There was a lot of lovin’ for Bob Huggins on Thursday night.

Hundreds turned out for a rally at the Willie’s Bar and Grill here to support the now-former University of Cincinnati basketball coach.
    Huggins, making his first public appearance and comments since he agreed Wednesday to walk away from his job for $3 million, fought back tears as he spoke to more than 500 die-hard fans.

“I just want to say thank you for the wonderful 16 years,” Huggins said before asking for a moment to compose himself. “It’s been 16 great years here.”

Huggins’ involvement with the university extended beyond the basketball arena, where he made a name for himself with an aggressive coaching style and courtside antics. His oldest daughter, Jenna, graduated from UC this year.

Huggins’ wife, June, said the family plans to remain at least awhile. Jenna will attend Northern Kentucky University this winter to obtain a master’s degree in sports management.

And younger daughter Jackie attends Cincinnati State University.
    Future plans remain uncertain, as the coach has received no job offers, June Huggins said.

Trading in his usual red-and-black sweat suit for an orange Hawaiian shirt, Huggins uttered no negative words toward the university, which showed him the door after he delivered an unprecedented 399 wins.

“It’s a great school,” Huggins said. “They’re great people. I’ve been blessed to have some of the greatest people I’ve met play for me.”
    Many of those former players reunited at the pub to show support for their old coach.

“He was one of the best coaches I had,” said Corie Blount, former UC player and an 11-year veteran of the NBA. “He was the one who saw potential in me.”

Tarrice Gibson was the second recruit signed by Huggins at UC.
    “He’s a great man – who only wanted to lead others to be great men,” said Gibson, who played for Huggins from 1989 to 1993.

“I love the university, and I love my coach,” said former UC player Melvin Levett. “He’s been there for me, and I’m here for him.”

The former players mingled around the bar and signed autographs, but there was a feeling of sadness in the air.

“It’s like your dad’s basketball funeral,” said former Bearcat Keith Starks. “It’s just tough – it really is.”

Alex Meacham, a North Avondale native, walked onto the UC team without a scholarship and later wrote a book about his experiences. Without Huggins, Meacham said, he likely wouldn’t be an author or vice president of Shining Star Sports, which trains and coaches 360 aspiring basketball players.

“I owe a lot to him,” Meacham said.

Huggins called the large show of support “wonderful.”

He reminisced about the runs for the NCAA Championship as fans shouted “Huggins!” or “16 more years!”

“I don’t know how anyone can be more fortunate than I to have had the guys who played for me,” Huggins said. “It was a good run, and I certainly want to support the guys we have here.”

Huggins spoke for about 10 minutes before stepping down from the stage and into a standing-room-only crowd. Fans raised their beers, clapped and thanked the coach. He circled the pub’s interior for more than 30 minutes, shaking hands and signing his autograph to everything put in front of him.

The rally was organized by talk-radio host Bill Cunningham of WLW-AM (700). But for some fans, the farewell was personal.

Little Miami High School basketball coach Mike Martin fought cancer last winter.

“Bob personally signed a ball for me,” Martin said.

He wished Huggins well Thursday night and told the coach: “You come back when they name a street for you.”

Huggins, joined by his family, then got into his white Lexus SUV and pulled away from the bar and grill as hundreds stood outside applauding.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Huggins spoke for about 10 minutes before stepping down from the stage and into a standing-room-only crowd. Fans raised their beers, clapped and thanked the coach.

"Fans raised their beers..."

Now if that isn't irony, I don't know what is
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Don't be an ass about it. I'm hoping UC becomes a joke in the world of college basketball without Huggs.

MLB ERA
    I'm thinking they won't.

And I'll act how I want about it. It's my opinion. I happen to have the support of some very smart individuals, such as many prominent writers and the "Good Doctor" herself, Nancy Zimpher.

I'll take their agreement over the agreement of many UC fans(who are biased and are bleeding heart Huggins fans).

MLB ERA
    There's absolutely no way UC can become a better basketball team by losing Huggins. They already lost their top recruit for next year, and I'm sure that's just the surface. This isn't Conference USA anymore, and UC is destined for futility because Nancy Zimpher is a retarded whore.

MLB ERA
    I disagree. I think the team will become more disciplined and consistent with him gone...not going through the constant lapses in effort throughout games. We were up on teams we should have crushed by 50 by around 40 with 10 minutes left and always seemed to end up winning those games by only 25. Other good teams didn't do that stuff very often. That same attitude is what partially caused the 2nd Round losses, not to mention Huggins' inability to strategize offensive plays. His bench coaching left much to be desired, IMO.

They might lose a few recruits, but most say they'll stay for Kennedy and I'm sure the school will look for someone competent to replace him. We could end up with a Rick Majerus-type guy and I'd be quite pleased with someone like him.

Being in the Big East will only augment the recruiting options and Kennedy has been the recruiting coordinator for the last few years and helped develop some of the playbooks.

MLB ERA
    I'm going to ignore that entire post you just made because of how little sense you made in it.

MLB ERA
    so who thought i was feeling better? well i was, UNTIL I WOKE UP THIS MORNING.

i've basically missed this whole week of school
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Dang dude. You still sick then? I really hope you get better soon. Sucks to be sick, I know.

MLB ERA
    yeah i was this morning, feeling tons better now
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am glad to hear you are feeling better ghetto. Sounds like you were sick for quite a while.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    400 posts in this thread...you guys are nuts. In a good way though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    yeah i was this morning, feeling tons better now
    funny how many are always sick on school days and then get better after school is out

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I looked at the pricing for the new game XBOX.... ouch. I really don't even want one that badly (holding out for PS3) but my little bro does so I checked the pricing. Both EB Games and Gamestop are making people to preorder them in huge bundles (like 600 or more dollars to start). But that's online, hopefully some stores will let you preorder just the system which will cost enough as it is.

MLB ERA
    Well, the game was effing rained out today. We've got a doubleheader on the 16th of September. Ortiz is getting pushed back until tomorrow against the Astros. We get Rodriguez, Pettitte, and Oswalt for the series. Gotta take the game from Rodriguez, because Pettitte and Oswalt could easily shut us down.

Page 27 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast