Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kearns asks to be traded

Rookie ERA

Kearns asks to be traded

Demoted Kearns asks to be traded

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Austin Kearns, languishing these days at Class AAA Louisville, has asked about a trade and wouldn't mind if the Cincinnati Reds moved him to another organization where he would play every day, he told the Dayton Daily News.

"There comes a time when you want to get established with a team and play every day," he said. "Every time I'm with the Reds, they try to play four or five outfielders. You can't work your way out of any slump because they put you on the bench."

When he was sent down before the June 13-15 Boston series, Kearns asked about a trade and was told by general manager Dan O'Brien that there was no interest in him.

"I called him on that because I've heard there is," said Kearns. "When Washington was in town, (Nationals general manager) Jim Bowden told both Adam Dunn and me he continues to try to make trades for us."

Bowden, though, has said that his phone calls to the Reds are not returned and his e-mails to the Reds are not answered.

The Chicago Cubs have interest in Kearns and when the Atlanta Braves were in town manager Bobby Cox pointedly asked, "What's going on with Kearns and why is in Louisville? I sure like that kid."

Kearns is hitting .346 with five doubles in 26 at-bats in Louisville.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...23kearns_.html

Wow. And i just posted that i didn't think kearns was all that likely to be delt. Oops.

And what in the hell is DanO's problem? Why is he lying to Kearns about interest in him, when lots of other clubs have gone public with their interest. Jim Bowden was willing to deal Tomo Okha (who would be the reds ace instantly) for freeking Junior Spivey! He's salivated over Kearns for years, Kearns is unhappy, the reds need pitching, what's not to like here? We probably could have gotten okha and a prospect and had the nats pay okha's salary for this year for kearns. I think DanO just hates kearns and wants him to suffer in the minors.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

obrien is a damn liar. fire this idiot puhleaaaaase.

worst GM in Reds history

MLB ERA
    Another example of O'Brien forcing his will into every little situation(like the playing Aurilia, etc.).

So he doesn't even return calls/e-mails to Bowden?

The guy is the biggest clown in the history of baseball.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hopefully looking like a horse's ass in the papers will be a wake up call to him, or to Allen and Co. to fire him.

Here's my trade idea for kearns. It's a bit of a stretch, but i think it could work, because the nats minor league pitching is terrible.

Reds get:
    Nick Johnson, John Patterson

Nats get:
    Kearns, Casey, Hancock, Robertson and pay for Casey

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but it would give the reds:
    Freel
    Johnson
    Dunn
    Wily
    Griffey
    Lopez
    Randa
    Larue

Patterson
    Harang
    Claussen
    Hudson
    Milton
    Reds MVP Race

We all know O'Brien's an idiot and deserves to be canned but let's not lose sight of how we got to this point. Kearns let himself get out of shape and hasn't put up good numbers for 2 years now. This makes him more difficult to deal.

O'Brien saying there's no interest in him may mean that no one is willing to give up anything of value for him.

Kearns won thr RF job in Sarasota. All he had to do was keep it but he stunk it up and gave Wily Mo a window of opportunity.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with you Sea Ray. Kearns has not been as good as he can be for us for a while now and it is his own fault. But DanO should have been straight forward with Kearns instead of lying to him. He should have told him that he hates him and that he would trade him if he gets a decent return. Kearns would have no choice but to understand.

Looks like Kearns will be gone real soon now though guys. DanO is going to have to work something and he better work it good. He should stick with his ability to be patient and wait for the perfect opportunity. Don't just get rid of Kearns because he wants out and you want him out. Get some value from the trade.

i think he might have blown the chance to be patient if kearns gets so disgruntled that he'll start talking to the media even more. Other GMs will know that he wants out and will never play for the reds again. At that point DanO's options would be to take what he can get for kearns, or get nothing in the end. It just doesn' work to have players that really really want to be traded.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    LOL @ Bobby Cox.. "What's going on with Kearns and why is in Louisville? I sure like that kid." Way to show your Poker face, Bobby!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If Kearns wants to be an everyday player, he better start producing like a starter. So far he hasn't done that. That's why his ass in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    If Kearns wants to be an everyday player, he better start producing like a starter. So far he hasn't done that. That's why his ass in AAA.
    ...exactly, unfortunately his reponse is to whine about being there instead of saying how he will work to get better.

MLB ERA
    Step 1 Fire O'Brien and send him on his way clean house of any remanants
    Step 2 Trade Casey for spects plus cash for his contract
    Step 3 Make Dunn understand playing 1b perminantly will help prolong his career and help the team
    Step 4 Recall Kearns to play in RF or LF which ever your not more comfortable with Wily Mo
    Step 5 LEAVE THEM THERE.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I agree with you Sea Ray. Kearns has not been as good as he can be for us for a while now and it is his own fault. But DanO should have been straight forward with Kearns instead of lying to him. He should have told him that he hates him and that he would trade him if he gets a decent return. Kearns would have no choice but to understand.
    Dan can tell him in this way: At this point Wily Mo has outplayed you and that's why you're the odd man out at this time. I prefer your overall skills to Wily Mo's but we've got too much OF talent on this team to give ABs to a guy hitting .223.

We are disappointed in the shape you're in. You're 30 lbs heavier than you were as a rookie. Add it all up and you're not as easy to trade as you might think, but if we can improve our ballclub by trading you then we will. In the meantime it would behoove your career to start putting up numbers be it in AAA or in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Looks like Kearns will be gone real soon now though guys. DanO is going to have to work something and he better work it good. He should stick with his ability to be patient and wait for the perfect opportunity. Don't just get rid of Kearns because he wants out and you want him out. Get some value from the trade.
    I do think he'll likely be gone by Aug 1st but I would be hesitant to trade him w/i the division and I would want more for him than we got for Reitsma.

We'll give you Kolb for him.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

It's Klobbering Time!

Sorry, had to say it.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast