Thread: Walt Jocketty anyone?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Walt Jocketty anyone?

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Cincinnati Reds are pursuing former St. Louis Cardinals General Manager Walt Jocketty, offering him one of the titles currently held by President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini, two sources told the Dayton Daily News on Friday.

A source with the Reds said Jocketty would become CEO, with Castellini retaining the title of president. A source in St. Louis said Jocketty has been offered the president's chair.

Jocketty is considering the offer and has told friends he would have a job in baseball within a week. If he comes to Cincinnati, he most likely would be in charge of baseball operations, a position below Castellini and above General Manager Wayne Krivsky.

Castellini, who heads the Reds' ownership group, refused to talk Friday about upcoming moves by the Reds, including the naming of a permanent manager, and said, "I don't mean to be difficult, but we're not talking about any of this. We're in a shutdown period."

Krivsky, attending meetings in Sarasota, Fla., said, "I'm going to be consistent with what everybody else is doing on this and not make any comments until everything is resolved and we have something to announce. It is better that way."

ESPN reported Thursday that the Reds interviewed former Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants manager Dusty Baker for the managerial job.

It is believed the team also has talked to former Arizona Diamondbacks manager and current Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, and Joe Girardi, National League Manager of the Year in 2006 with the Florida Marlins.

A call from the Dayton Daily News to interim manager Pete Mackanin was not returned. He was promised an interview after he led the Reds to a 41-39 record after Jerry Narron was fired this season.

Jocketty, 56, was general manager/senior vice president for the Cardinals from 1994 until he resigned after the 2007 season. He and Castellini are close, their association going back to when Castellini was an investor with the Cardinals, beginning in 1995, a year after Jocketty became GM.

Under Jocketty's direction, the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006, played in the World Series in 2004 and also participated in postseason play in 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2005.

There has been speculation that if Jocketty came to Cincinnati, manager Tony La Russa would follow, but it is believed in St. Louis that La Russa will return to the Cardinals.

If the Reds are to do anything at this juncture, they would have to get permission from Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, because Selig prefers no big announcements during the playoffs.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...01307reds.html

CRF, this is your boy Hal with speak of bringing in your boy Jocketty. Bring your thoughts in to this and get us some inside whispers if at all possible.

This sounds possible to say the least. I like having Jocketty come in and not take for Krivsky. Jocketty is a great trade GM. Krivsky is a good non tender wire GM. Having those two work together per say would be a huge upgrade. All we would need then is someone who could judge talent for the draft better than Jocketty and Krivsky have done.

I like the step forward and would love to see this happen.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

Per John Fay

Reds CEO Bob Castellini denied a report that he's offered former St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty a job.

"No, no," he said. "I haven't."

Castellini said last week that GM Wayne Krivsky's job was safe. "Wayne Krivsky is our GM. Period," he said.

That, of course, left open the possibility that Jocketty could come in a post above Krivsky. But Castellini said he has not talked to Jocketty about any job.

Krivsky's contract gives him final say on all baseball decisions.

Castellini is in Sarasota, Fla., attending the club's organization meetings.

I like to believe Castellini is not a liar. Even though it would be wise to use tact in a situation where you might be looking to replace your manager or even hire someone to help improve operations, I don't think he would flat out lie about it. Wouldn't it be more of something like his saying that he is not inclined to talk about it just yet? That they are still looking at things and trying to improve the team?

wondering...