Thread: Pena doesn't know when he'll return

MLB ERA

Pena doesn't know when he'll return

Dunn's bat finally sparks Boone ... until it breaks

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Aaron Boone needs to lose 37 pounds to hit his weight, but instead of contacting the Atkins people or Richard Simmons, Boone figures it is easier to add points to his .167 batting average.

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn tried to do his part for his friend and former teammate, who now plays third base for the Cleveland Indians.

Dunn sent him a bat. When Boone played for the Reds, he constantly rummaged through Dunn's locker and stole his bats, "Then he would break them and return them," Dunn said.

When Dunn saw how low Boone's batting average was a week ago, he sent Boone a bat.

"I sent it to him because I knew it would work," said Dunn. "It has a lot of hits in it, all my bats do. I leave 'em in there."

It did work. Boone's average climbed from .118 to .163, "But then he broke the bat," Dunn said. "And he isn't getting any this weekend, not until Sunday night."

Boone follows the plight of the Reds and said before Friday's game, after having lunch during the day with Dunn and Sean Casey, "I follow the Reds and I know it has been tough times for them, and it surprises me.

"I hope we can add to their misery for three more days and then they can turn it around," said Boone, who was traded by the Reds to the New York Yankees in July 2003. "Playing here was a fun time for me, and this is the first time I've been back. It's very nostalgic.

"I can relate to their troubles, though, because I've been through my own sufferings. My bat's broken. But the one Dunn sent me got me a few hits, got me hot," he said.

Pena still hurts

The long, long disablement of outfielder Wily Mo Pena continues. He was eligible to come off the disabled list on Wednesday, but still feels tightness in his left quadriceps.

"I feel it a little bit when I run hard, like I would run in a game," he said. "I want to be 100 percent when I play. I don't know when that will be."

Pena performed agility drills for Mann before Friday's game and said, "I felt good. I did a lot of work while the team was on the road, worked hard, but when I ran, I felt it and I had to back down some.

"They told me it would take a long time (to get healthy)," he added. "But it surprises me it is taking this long."

Freel and easy

Ryan Freel wasn't in Friday's lineup because of a tender back, but he was available to pinch-hit or pinch-run. Second base was manned by rookie William Bergolla.

Asked with the dismissal of D'Angelo Jimenez if Freel inherits second base, manager Dave Miley said, "Freel can play the outfield, too. It is important for us to take a look at Bergolla and give him an opportunity."

Freel tweaked his back sliding into second base Tuesday in New York. When Miley and trainer Mark Mann ran out, Freel said, "Hey, I'm OK. I'll show you. I'm gonna steal third base."

On the next pitch, he stole third.

"I was tricking them," said Freel. "But my back did tighten up later."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Just be patient with Wily Mo, he is way to important to our future to rush him back. We don't want a small nagging injury to develop into a serious one.

Ryan Freel wasn't in Friday's lineup because of a tender back, but he was available to pinch-hit or pinch-run. Second base was manned by rookie William Bergolla.

Asked with the dismissal of D'Angelo Jimenez if Freel inherits second base, manager Dave Miley said, "Freel can play the outfield, too. It is important for us to take a look at Bergolla and give him an opportunity."

Oh, I didnt know about Freel having a tender back.... makes sense why he rested tonight.

I am very high on Bergolla as a prospect, I have been for quite some time, but this is just silly. Bergolla gets his first taste of AAA with success at that and then we feel he is ready for the show? Now I understand players make that kind of jump often but Freel deserves a shot. Miley seems hellbent on keeping Freel in the "super" utility role.

MLB ERA
    That does explain tonight's benching of Freel, but it doesn't explain this new obsession with playing Bergolla. I wonder if Freel will be on the bench tomorrow(tonight) night too?

Miley wanted Freel starting during ST. I think some discussions with O'Brien before the season began "brainwashed" him on that issue.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    .440 OBP by Freel.... but remember CRF, he can sub in the OF!! If this team wants to win, they would play the best players and it's clear either:

a.) They are too ignorant to make the correct moves.
    b.) They are too stubborn to make the correct moves.

I am thinking option A.

MLB ERA
    I think you're right about option A. Freel has played about as well this year as you could expect anyone leading off too, but he continues to get shafted. I would be rather angry if I were him. Who cares about being able to sub in the stinking outfield! We will have Pena back soon, so then that notion will become even more ridiculous than it already is right now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That .440 OBP is just crazy good. Not to mention the fact he has the killer speed we so desperatly need. I really can't see how Bergolla can bring more to the team than that .440 OBP Freel is producing in almost 100 AB's. I understand Bergolla is up here due to the Pena injury and will likely be sent back sometime soon, but Miley needs to show his confidence in Freel IMO.

MLB ERA
    His OBP is incredible. He has hit the ball well and has drawn a nice amount of walks too. I believe he is up to 10 steals now. Play him. He sparks the team and often leads to at least an extra run a game being scored.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really want Freel to be in there as the starter as well. I hope Miley is just saying that Bergolla needs the ABs because he has been limited so far and Freel has a bad back right now. I think it may have been a good thing after all. Even though Bergolla provided zero offense in key situations last night. But hopefully Freel claims the 2B job on a much more perminent basis. Send Bergolla back down and let him develop more alongside of EdE.

Hopefully Pena can come back soon. This injury kind of bugs me in that we were expecting to have him back right now. I wonder how much longer it is going to be. But I do agree that they should really be careful with him. A quick conspiracy on this could be that they may be giving Kearns an opportunity to upgrade his trade ability. So they may be giving him a longer look.