Thread: IF The Yanks Void Giambi Contract...

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

IF The Yanks Void Giambi Contract...

...and that is a big "IF," would the Yanks be interested in Dunn/Griffey? They'd be desperate for a left handed stick.

Are we even interested in trading those guys? Does our FO still believe winning in 2007 is a possibility? Do the Yanks even have anything of value to offer us (forget about Phil Hughes, BTW)?

Lots of questions...just throwing the idea out there.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

Re: IF The Yanks Void Giambi Contract...

They still have a very LH heavy+Old+Expensive lineup which would likely eliminate Griffey and Dunn.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Matsui, Abreu, Damon, Cabrera, Cano, Mientkiewicz, Posada. They have plenty of lefties.

Griffey's too old and he's too expensive for sure, so they would never want him.
    Dunn maybe, but it'd be a longshot. With the hitting slump they've been mired in it doesn't seem they'd want someone prone to striking out and who doesn't make contact that much. Plus he can't play defense at first and their outfield is crowded, and something tells me they don't enjoy having to play Mientkiewicz at first when they DH for Giambi, so they wouldn't dig it with Dunn.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

See...you guys are mixing two things that simply are incompatible with one another - the New York Yankees and sound baseball logic.

All that matters to the Yanks is a player's ability and prestige. Really matters not if they don't actually need the player in question.

If Giambi was voided, they would lose a lot of power. 'Roided up or not, he's producing.

Again, I do feel the point is largely moot as they will not be able to void him, even if they really wanted to do so. I also do not feel that they have enough farm talent sans Hughes to bring a JR or Dunn.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    See...you guys are mixing two things that simply are incompatible with one another - the New York Yankees and sound baseball logic.

Am I really hearing this from a Reds fan? Wow...this is just too funny.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post

Am I really hearing this from a Reds fan? Wow...this is just too funny.
    Absolutely, but not from the Reds FO personnel that would then be hypocritical. Actually though since Cashman was given more power he has played it pretty tight to the vest. He has impressed me with his approach. Being diligent in keeping his young players and not throwing money at guys who will not help them (Clemens can and will).

Really when you think about it that's not all that different from anyone else but not everyone else can throw money at whomever they want.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Junior, Arroyo, and Weathers

for

Hughes, Cabrera, and a prospect

Hmm... I would probably do it. I doubt the Yanks would give up Hughes though.
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Junior, Arroyo, and Weathers

for

Hughes, Cabrera, and a prospect

Hmm... I would probably do it. I doubt the Yanks would give up Hughes though.
    How in the world would that ever be beneficial for the Yankees...Hughes is the top pitching prospect in baseball according to some reports and the #2 according to the others. Cabrera is a 4th OF for the moment but a future starter. Griffey would have nowhere to play and Weathers doesn't really help...I can't see why the Yankees would ever do that.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Did you not read what I said? I said you guys wouldn't do it.

Junior would DH or move Abreu to first or something.
    I think you overrate Cabrera
    You have Ron freaking Villone on your staff, so don't tell me you don't need Weathers
    Arroyo is a proven, veteran SP

Looking back, it was an even dumber trade than I initially thought. It's not like I sat down and thought about it I was just throwin out an idea.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Junior would DH or move Abreu to first or something.
    If anybody's moving to first, it'd be Jr...right now, if he DHed Giambi would be playing first which is a horror show.

I think you overrate Cabrera
    He's been awful this year, I'll give you that, but last year he was phenomenal. Really saved us when Sheffield went down.

You have Ron freaking Villone on your staff, so don't tell me you don't need Weathers
    Ron Villone = God We could use Weathers over Vizcaino though, who is just horrific, horrendous, horrible, and all those other things, and I hope his arm falls off.

Arroyo is a proven, veteran SP
    I have concerns about how he would adapt to the AL again, his NL numbers have been far, far better than his AL ones...he's a very good pitcher though, I'll give you that. But honestly, with Clemens and Hughes coming back soon we have a solid 5-man rotation and guys like Clippard and DeSalvo waiting if anybody goes down so he would be somewhat out of place.

Not trying to stir up any controversy...just pointing out it would be a wild move for the Yanks.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I have concerns about how he would adapt to the AL again, his NL numbers have been far, far better than his AL ones...he's a very good pitcher though, I'll give you that. But honestly, with Clemens and Hughes coming back soon we have a solid 5-man rotation and guys like Clippard and DeSalvo waiting if anybody goes down so he would be somewhat out of place.

Not trying to stir up any controversy...just pointing out it would be a wild move for the Yanks.
    One thing about Arroyo is that he gives any team a rubber arm that will give you about 200+innings. And that with all the Yanks injury problems throughout the past few years would be a valuable commodity. No doubt the Yankees would deal for him but his value to them is obviously far less than what his value means to us. And he is a gamer also that would not wilt under the pressure of playing in NY.

Not that he is an impact AL starter but his value to us would outweigh anything we would likely receive for him.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

I think a super-sub like Freel would be an excellent fit with a team like the Yankees (or BoSox, even), but no way do I want Giambi on this team (I know you weren't saying to trade for him, Lebowski). His best years are far behind him, and he will still be very expensive.

Heck, maybe they want Stanton back?

or, are you just trying to dump Griffey/Dunn? They're the only guys still hitting on this team.

If you can get Hughes for Dunn, I'd do it, but if I'm the Yanks- no thanks.
    You spend your life gripping a baseball, and all the time it was the other way around. ~Jim Bouton

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I think a super-sub like Freel would be an excellent fit with a team like the Yankees
    Agreed, I would absolutely love to get a guy like that around here.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Yanks fan would behead Freel the first time he makes an out on the basepaths. To add to that, I think Freel is a good baserunner, and I love his care-free aggressive style but it can be a little annoying.

I also can't imagine Dunn playin for the Yanks either... words can't describe how much boo'ing he would receive. See Rodriguez, Alex. Times 100.