Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any chance at all for us to contend?

MLB ERA

Re: Any chance at all for us to contend?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D™ View Post
    at this point I see no future for the Reds this year

15-24

lost the 7 in the last 8 games

pathetic
    it is pathetic but no reason to give up. to give up now would just be considering yourself a fairweather fan.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

C you there
    MLB ERA

I haven't given up, I know there is plenty of games left to turn it around

I just said at this point of the season

if they keep playing like this

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D™ View Post
    I haven't given up, I know there is plenty of games left to turn it around

I just said at this point of the season

if they keep playing like this
    I hear you, i hate it when people call you out and say you are a fairweather fan... a fairweather fan wouldn't even be a reds fan.. they would be Yankees fan.. or a Red Sox fan.. teams that win year in and year out.. The plythe of a Reds fan is that nearly every year the season is all but over for us before the All Star break.. this year is little to no exception.. it doesn't mean i am going to run out and cheer for the Brewers.. or not go to any games.. I am still a fan.. but i am a realist.. this season is just about over for us.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

This being the Central anything can happen. I won't give up until I read we are eliminated. This week will tell us a lot. Sweep The Nats and win the series againts the Pirates and who knows.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redram38 View Post
    This being the Central anything can happen. I won't give up until I read we are eliminated. This week will tell us a lot. Sweep The Nats and win the series againts the Pirates and who knows.
    yeah ordinarily i would agree with you, but the Brewers aren't going anywhere, they are dominating

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    yeah ordinarily i would agree with you, but the Brewers aren't going anywhere, they are dominating
    The Brewers aren't dominating. They've hit the skids a bit. They're good but they're not run-away-and-hide good.

No, it is not too late for us to make a run at this but, some serious things have to change and quickly.

Obviously, the bullpen. It's cost us at least 7 games this year, probably more. There are certain guys who simply have to go and we all know who they are.

We've got to figure out what's wrong with Harang. If he's injured, DL him asap and get him better. Personally, I think it's something in his mechanics.

Hamilton needs to get back out there and recapture that early-season fire.

EE needs to straighen himself out and start mashing again.

We have to hope Lohse and Belisle don't fall off the reservation.

We have to address the 5th starter issue. Is it Saarloos? Does the team actually plan to re-insert Uncle Milty when he heals from his "injury?"

Narron's got to start managing better, especially his bullpen. We all know he does not have much to work with but, last night...what he did with those guys was just despicable.

Lots of questions and lots of things that need to go right - probably too many. Still, there's reason to have hope.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

This team is going to have to play insanely far over .500 for the rest of the season; does anybody really think that's going to happen? That this team is miraculously going to play 20 games over .500 for the rest of the season?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

The Brewers will slide some IMO

JJ Hardy has like 14 HRs right now. Isn't that more then he's ever had in a season? I know he was highly touted, but jesus. I think he cools off in the 2nd half, and maybe Prince Fielder a little (he is a stud though). I still think they take the division though.

As for the Reds, my first instinct is to say NO WAY IN HELL... but looking at our stats. We are 7th in OPS which is usually pretty close to RS on a consistent basis, and 10th in ERA.

Take into consideration that Ross was downright horrible (might be that way all season), but is starting to play a little better. Edwin has played pretty bad too, and I don't expect to see that all season long. That is a pretty good jump in OPS. I'd say we could move up a couple ranking spots.

As for ERA, Harang and Arroyo really haven't played that well. I think an improvement from them would be likely. Plus there is always the chance of Homer coming in late. As for the bullpen, getting rid of stiffs like Stanton would be a good start. I don't even wanna talk about Todd Coffey He is one of my favorite players, and I hate to see him pitch like a little girl. There is always Majik and Bray coming up too as I think someone mentioned it.

Could we contend? With those improvements, and probably a new manager that will fire up the team a little.

Will we? Doubtful. I think we play better though, and finish near .500
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    The Brewers will slide some IMO

JJ Hardy has like 14 HRs right now. Isn't that more then he's ever had in a season? I know he was highly touted, but jesus. I think he cools off in the 2nd half, and maybe Prince Fielder a little (he is a stud though). I still think they take the division though.

As for the Reds, my first instinct is to say NO WAY IN HELL... but looking at our stats. We are 7th in OPS which is usually pretty close to RS on a consistent basis, and 10th in ERA.

Take into consideration that Ross was downright horrible (might be that way all season), but is starting to play a little better. Edwin has played pretty bad too, and I don't expect to see that all season long. That is a pretty good jump in OPS. I'd say we could move up a couple ranking spots.

As for ERA, Harang and Arroyo really haven't played that well. I think an improvement from them would be likely. Plus there is always the chance of Homer coming in late. As for the bullpen, getting rid of stiffs like Stanton would be a good start. I don't even wanna talk about Todd Coffey He is one of my favorite players, and I hate to see him pitch like a little girl. There is always Majik and Bray coming up too as I think someone mentioned it.

Could we contend? With those improvements, and probably a new manager that will fire up the team a little.

Will we? Doubtful. I think we play better though, and finish near .500
    The Reds aren't just chasing the Brewers, though. They're chasing all the other teams in front of them too. That's a big part of the problem with contention: it's one thing to chase one team; it's another when everyone ELSE is better than you are too. The Reds are all but buried at this point. It's time to regroup and work towards next year.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Agreed.

Do you think the BrewCrew will win the division though?

No other teams in the central impress me a whole lot. The Cards are real bad this year, Astros aren't much to talk about either... with the Rocket I think they had a chance to win it. I guess the Cubs have a decent chance of winning the division, but they always seem to ruin their season somehow.
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

MLB ERA

I think part of Coffey's problems lie betwteen the ears; similar to Lohse. The over-reliance on the fastball lin pretty much any situation is not good either. I would not mind Coffey going to Louisville for a while.

As for Harang; something is certainly amiss. I saw him a few starts back against the Astros reach only 86-88 mph on the stadium radar gun the majority of the time. It might be mechanical, but I wonder. He did seem to be falling off after a lot of his pitches, particularly later in the game.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I think part of Coffey's problems lie betwteen the ears; similar to Lohse. The over-reliance on the fastball lin pretty much any situation is not good either. I would not mind Coffey going to Louisville for a while.

As for Harang; something is certainly amiss. I saw him a few starts back against the Astros reach only 86-88 mph on the stadium radar gun the majority of the time. It might be mechanical, but I wonder. He did seem to be falling off after a lot of his pitches, particularly later in the game.
    How many times have we seen Coffey get ahead of batters with 0-2 or 1-2 counts, only to fall behind to 3-2 counts and then give the batter something fat right over the plate? Coffey just really doesn't seem to have the makeup of being a setup man or a closer. The stuff? Sure, but he certainly lacks a certain fierceness despite what his run from the bullpen would tell you.

MLB ERA

Yup, just can't put hitters away.

Pretty ironic that he makes that bullpen run.

Weathers is 10 x fiercer than he is.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Agreed.

Do you think the BrewCrew will win the division though?

No other teams in the central impress me a whole lot. The Cards are real bad this year, Astros aren't much to talk about either... with the Rocket I think they had a chance to win it. I guess the Cubs have a decent chance of winning the division, but they always seem to ruin their season somehow.
    yes, the Brewers have been putting together a good young team for the past couple years, this is the year it finally came together..

you guys can all sit back and say it will eventually fall apart, don't be so sure, we all know their best Pitcher is Ben Sheets, but This year, he hasn't even been their best Pitcher, in fact, he is the teams 2nd worse, only behind Bush. you all want to say they aren't for real, but they are.. now am i saying for sure that they are going to walk away, no, but i won't dismiss them, and with how far the Reds are behind right now.. to top the fact that last year we couldn't catch the Cards who were practically willing to give us the division all year, never really pulling away, the lead the brewers have right now is far better than anyone had last year.

Suppan (6-4) 3.49 ERA
    Vargas (3-0) 3.68 ERA
    Capuano (5-2) 3.72 ERA
    Sheets (4-3) 3.75 ERA

Spurling 13 Games 1.98 ERA
    Villanueva 29 innings pitched 2.79
    Wise 19 games 2.95 ERA

Cordero 17 saves 0.47 ERA

sure Hardy is having a huge year, and he could be lucky, or it could be like the year when Brady Anderson hit 50 HR's

the still have Jenkins, Fielder and Estrada, and after a slow start Bill Hall is coming around right now.. for the past 3 years or so i have seen experts predict that the Brewers were going to breakout.. so i have no reason to believe that they aren't for real

The Reds have a chance if the Central pans out like it did last year maybe, but I feel the results would be similar. The Reds would have to play above their heads with major blows to the Brewers and Cubs, and both teams playing below what they should be. Then the Reds would have a chance but nothing definite. The good news is the Reds are playing way below what they should be so .500 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast