Thread: A peek into Krivskys' mind

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

A peek into Krivskys' mind

Krivsky offers Twins peek
    Reds insider
    The firing of Chris Chambliss was the latest move in the "Minnesota-ization" of the Reds. If the Minnesota-ization continues we could see bigger moves.

Let's explain the Minnesota-ization theory.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky worked for the Twins for 11 years before coming to the Reds. Minnesota GM Terry Ryan has had more influence on Krivsky than anyone in baseball.

So it stands to reason that Krivsky is trying to rebuild the Reds in the Twins' mold - given the success of the franchise.

The Reds were the antithesis of the Twins offensively under Chambliss.

All you have to do is take a look at the final stats for this season to see that.

The Twins led the American League in batting average. They struck out fewer times than any team in the AL. They were 13th in home runs. And they were fourth in the AL in sacrifice flies.

The Reds were second last in the National League in batting average. They struck out more than all but four teams in the NL. They were second in home runs. And they were 14th in the NL in sacrifice flies.

The Twins won 95 games; the Reds 80.

Krivsky said the Chambliss move wasn't a change in philosophy. But two days after Chambliss was fired the club hired Ronnie Ortegon to replace Leon Roberts as the minor-league hitting coordinator.

Sounds like the club wants a different approach to hitting.

"There are a lot of different ideas about hitting," Krivsky said. "I just want to win."

But he admits an aversion to strikeouts.

"I don't like strikeouts," he said. "I'd give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts."

Click here for rest of story

While the Twins having a better offense helps to win games, I think it may be more the doing of Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, and Joe Nathan, among others, who made that 15 game difference: because 55 runs or so sure didn't. You know how the Twins pitching gave up about 120 less runs than the Reds in the AL, right? Right?

Also, Mr. Krivsky, if you didn't trade Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to Washington, perhaps the offense wouldn't have had as sharp a decline. While Aurilia did do well, no one replaced Kearns' OF ability really (although I love Freel).

And I'm sure the Minnesota-ization could be helped with Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Johan Santana, and Francisco Liriano. You know, instead of wearing out the likes of Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    While the Twins having a better offense helps to win games, I think it may be more the doing of Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, and Joe Nathan, among others, who made that 15 game difference: because 55 runs or so sure didn't. You know how the Twins pitching gave up about 120 less runs than the Reds in the AL, right? Right?

Also, Mr. Krivsky, if you didn't trade Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to Washington, perhaps the offense wouldn't have had as sharp a decline. While Aurilia did do well, no one replaced Kearns' OF ability really (although I love Freel).

And I'm sure the Minnesota-ization could be helped with Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Johan Santana, and Francisco Liriano. You know, instead of wearing out the likes of Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.
    that is exactly it.. this organization doesn't have a Santana or Liriano.. outside of maybe Homer Baily, but I will wait until he pitches against a Real Major Leaguer in a real MLB regular season before we go there.

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    So it stands to reason that Krivsky is trying to rebuild the Reds in the Twins' mold - given the success of the franchise.
    They won more games than the Reds, but I'm not prepared to go around calling Minnesota "successful." I don't want to be the Twins' twin; I prefer a little excitement with my spectator sports.