Thread: Castro will see more PT

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Castro will see more PT

Milwaukee-Brandon Phillips led off Tuesday against the Milwaukee Brewers.
    Juan Castro started at shortstop for Felipe Lopez, and Ryan Freel did not start.
    "Without Freel and Lopez, it falls to (Phillips)," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Honestly, I feel comfortable with wherever he hits. I think he's going to give us a good at-bat."
    Phillips went 1-for-3 with a walk. He had his string of 16 straight successful steal attempts snapped in the first inning.
    It was Lopez's third day off in a week.
    "It's been a grind here before the All-Star break," Narron said. "I'm trying to get Juan out there as much I can."
    The addition of Castro gives Narron another alternative at shortstop - a sure-handed one and a right-handed-hitting one. (Lopez is hitting .209 against right-handers.) Castro makes it easier to rest Lopez, Narron said.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...607050335/1071

I dont get it. With Felo swinging so bad against lefties, why doesn't Narron just start Aurilia? Castro is a good defensive replacement, but he should NEVER be looked at as a starter.

I am starting to think that Felo may be on the trading block more and more. This is just bad thinking here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Felipe Lopez has reverted to his former self. Sure, he's a decent to good defensive SS, but a similar statement could be said for Jason LaRue as a catcher. I really like Phillips in the leadoff position. I wouldn't mind seeing if he could play SS for us as well.
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Phillips batting leadoff vs LHP? Sure. But RHP redsfan?

Code:
    Entire Season 	 	TEAM 	 	G 	 	AB 	 	R 	 	H 	 	2B 	 	3B 	 	HR 	 	RBI 	 	TB 	 	BB 	 	SO 	 	SB 	 	CS 	 	OBP 	 	SLG 	 	AVG
    vs Right-handed Pitcher 	    Cincinnati Reds 	79 	235 	40 	69 	12 	1 	7 	24 	104 	34 	40 	17 	3 	.383 	.443 	.294
    vs Right-handed Pitcher 	    Cincinnati Reds 	67 	186 	29 	59 	9 	1 	5 	32 	85 	13 	25 	9 	0 	.366 	.457 	.317
    The first one is Lopez, the second one is Phillips. Obviously they are quite comperable, but FeLo has done nothing to deserve being dropped from leadoff vs RHP. I'll take that .383 OBP anyday. And just because he has struggled badly vs lefties this year, I think it's way too soon to be saying he reverted to his former ways. He's doing the job vs righties, if it was the other way around, then I would start to get a bit scared.

Code:
    G 	AB 	R 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	RBI 	BB 	K 	SB 	CS 	AVG 	OBP 	SLG 	OPS 	 
     vs. Left 	  	34 	64 	17 	22 	4 	1 	1 	2 	15 	5 	10 	1 	.344 	.468 	.484 	.953
    Boom, there is Freel vs lefties. Play Phillips at SS like he's capable of (and where has posted solid numbers) and Freel at 2B, to get him AB's and it's been the side he has dominated against. and then the usual FeLo at SS and Phillips at 2B for RHP.

I'll say it again, Freel would look really good in a Red Sox uni if you guys prefer Juan Castro in the middle infield. We'll even give you superstar reliever Julian Tavarez or Rudy Seanez. Eh? Eh?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Face it, Freel looks best when he's rocking the red and black.

We should trade him though if they're refusing to do the obvious as my post laid out.

MLB ERA
    Have I mentioned that Jerry Narron is an idiot?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.