Thread: A reason for Aurilia to start

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

A reason for Aurilia to start

Aurilia tough with two strikes

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

CHICAGO - The Reds' organization is nothing if not structured, and one of the points of emphasis with hitters, especially in the lower minors, is learning how to hit when behind in the count.

"Every - and I repeat, every - good hitter in the big leagues has a two-strike approach," general manager Dan O'Brien said earlier this spring. "They don't want to be 0-2 or 1-2, but it's anything but over for them as good hitters. For our guys to get to the point where they've got two strikes in a particular count, they've got to learn that skill, and you don't learn it by not getting into that position. It isn't something to be avoided."

If the Reds ever wanted one of their own to speak at a seminar on that topic, they might turn to shortstop Rich Aurilia. The veteran's approach when he's in a hole, especially with two strikes, is one of the reasons the Reds brought him in and gave him the starting job, and it's one of the reasons he's in the lineup on a regular basis.

On a team with more than its share of power hitters, a batter with Aurilia's approach can make a difference. He even makes it look different. Instead of dialing up for more bat speed when the pitcher has the edge, Aurilia already has demonstrated more than once this season that he'd prefer to throw the bat at the ball in hopes of eking out a bloop single.

"I guess I was just taught when I got to the big leagues, I got in the mind-set of, if you put it in play anything can happen," said Aurilia. "I don't want to say anybody's a really good hitter when they're behind in the count or have two strikes, but I think I just try to put the ball in play, and if it's a mistake (pitch), it's something I try and take advantage of. Of course you'd like to get a hit, but beyond that, they could lose a ball in the sun, a ball could take a bad hop, they could make an error - anything can happen."

Of Aurilia's 13 hits this year, five have come on a two-strike count. For comparison's sake, four of Adam Dunn's 19 hits have been produced on strike two.

Aurilia said he chokes up on the bat and makes a conscious effort to shorten his swing when he gets two strikes, something you won't see a hitter like Dunn do. But Aurilia doesn't necessarily believe his approach is universally applicable.

"I think it's certain types of hitters," he said. "You've got guys who are power hitters and swing the bat hard and are real aggressive - they're going to strike out. That's something you can't avoid sometimes, especially playing in this division where there's a lot of power pitchers who strike out a lot of people. No matter how many home runs I've hit, I've never thought of myself as a home run guy, so I try and just put the ball in play and hit hard line drives and get on base."

More often than not, it doesn't happen. Statistics show that any pitcher has a notable advantage over any hitter with a two-strike count. But every once in a while, the hitter will break through.

"I don't like being in those situations," said Aurilia. "But if you look at the end of the year and you're hitting anywhere around .220 with two strikes on you, man, that's pretty good."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....504270321/1027

MLB ERA
    There's really no reason at all for Aurilia to start.

He's awful.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

how bout the error in the bottom of the ninth, is that a reason for him to start?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    "No matter how many home runs I've hit, I've never thought of myself as a home run guy"
    What a joke this guys is. Newsflash Richard, no one thinks of you as a homerun guy. In 2001 i think of you as a steroids guy, and in every other year i think of you as a mediocre guy. But never a homerun guy. No matter how many homeruns i've hit he says: 132 over 10 years, 13 per year, with a weird year, in SF, in 2001, who does this guy think he is?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He thinks he's better than Felipe Lopez, and he's probably right.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    No, he's wrong up to this point.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Rich Aurilia or Felipe Lopez: Who is more likely to be around for the next good Reds team? Shouldn't this affect your decision?

MLB ERA
    Not if your name is Dan O'Brien or Dave Miley.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    There's really no reason at all for Aurilia to start.

He's awful.
    The Mariners are glad we got rid of him. Wilson Valdez is better.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

I find it funny that Dan O'Brien thinks good hitters know how to get themselves into certain situations where they have two strikes on them. The difference between the Reds hitters and other teams hitters, is that the Reds hitters tend to TAKE two strikes.