Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what is the move?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Need of a LH bat?

Here is a link:

Detroit Free Press: "The Tigers need a left-handed bat. And their manager has close ties to the biggest of all. Yet, despite well-reasoned speculation to the contrary, it does not appear that Barry Bonds will become a Tiger this season."
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...20/1048/SPORTS

Now excuse the whole Bonds thing because I just wanted to show you why they were talking about it. But it is true they are coveting a LH bat for sure. Dunn is a big one if they can't (and likely won't) get Bonds.

heh. Excuse my arguments then. We need a left bat. You guys make me look like a dumbass. Thanks.

My other statements do stand though. I don't see Dombrowski trading one of the big 3 pitchers (Verlander, Zumaya, or Bonderman) for a LH batter. If anything, a Nate Robertson or some specs.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here is another one:

The Tigers, looking for a lefthanded hitter, may go for former Met Jeromy Burnitz, who's usually traded about this time each year.
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

And another one:

Q . Will they add a big left-handed bat down the road?

A . Yes. A trade-deadline deal is still the most likely scenario because teams will be more in a selling mood than is the case in June, or even early July.

The Tigers can't be careless here. Getting the right left-handed bat is no more important than making the right kind of trade.
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...606070392/1129

So to me it is no question that they want a LH bat. But I agree with you Rocks that giving up a very talented young pitcher is likely too much. But how desperate are they?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    heh. Excuse my arguments then. We need a left bat. You guys make me look like a dumbass. Thanks.
    Wasnt trying to make you look dumb. And the last post I made was before I read your post above it. So I definitely was not trying to rub it in more. I see you get the point and it is well taken.

I am in complete agreement with you on the chances of a deal happening being slim though. But that is just because I am not sure on how desperate the Tigers are for a LH bat and what they might give up for a good one.

Heh. I wouldn't say that they are that desperate. I believe our hitting is fine as of right now. If the right deal came along, I'm sure that Dombrowski would do it. I don't see us trading a part of our future rotation away for a LH bat. I just didn't know we needed a LH bat. So it's not obvious that we need one, because I felt we've been hitting just fine as of lately.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I could agree on that as well. Your team has been playing real well. I wonder if its just that they want icing on the cake so to speak. It may not be as much of a need as it is a want. A hole to fill, but not a very big hole I guess you could say.

I dont see a team that is looking to contend through the playoffs trading a vital part of their organization. The Tigers may not be the best to look at but they are interesting because their SP depth is so deep. And they are in search of something we have. And it is a VERY good something.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17

My other statements do stand though. I don't see Dombrowski trading one of the big 3 pitchers (Verlander, Zumaya, or Bonderman) for a LH batter. If anything, a Nate Robertson or some specs.
    did you even read my original post? who was the one detroit pitcher i listed? i'll wait 'til you find... la da dum... got it? BONDERMAN, and a prospect. pull it together bud.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

C you there
    MLB ERA
    You know I havn't red all of this in here But let me state something anyone can let me know if and why I'm wrong lol

but I prefer to keep griffey, dunn, kearns, and all our offense except LaRue

i don't want none of them traded I know value and all that would get us some good starters if we trade one or two of them, but what does that give us good pitching and then we lose our batting? how about we try getting some good rookie pitchers with good pitching, from some minor league team that no one else may think is any good, we can keep trying till we get one that works out

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Offense only gets you so far. This team is too imbalanced, heavily skewed toward offense. The only legitimate pitchers we have are Harang and Arroyo. Claussen sucks, Ramirez has his moments, and Milton is inconsistent at best. If we could get one or two back of the rotation guys to replace Claussen or Ramirez (move them to the pen), then the Reds should explore the possibility.
    rf28

C you there
    MLB ERA
    I agree on Ramirez man I can't see any good in him, Claussen is good for giving up runs :| yet he's also good at striking people out, if he can only stop giving up runs he would do well

Milton may be inconsistent at best but when he's good he stays that way for a few good games

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    did you even read my original post? who was the one detroit pitcher i listed? i'll wait 'til you find... la da dum... got it? BONDERMAN, and a prospect. pull it together bud.
    I was pretty much done with this thread. I really don't know what you're talking about. I was originally replying to bosox21, and all your replies to me never even talked about Bonderman. So I think you're the one who needs to "pull it together." That's all I got to say.

Anyways, Cincy Reds have some great fans and you guys deserve a winner. Congrats on having a good team this yr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12