Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where oh where is the offense?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I criticize that Valentin swing when the results are less than stellar, but when he gets all of it, like he did there... boy does that look sweet. Hopefully this come from behind win will do something for this team.

There It Is Javy!
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Valentin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So the offense came to life off a really good bullpen at the end of the game today. That was a huge ending to an otherwise horrible day. Our bullpen came in and did its job which is very encouraging and Arroyo did not get the loss. Freel did it all today with a HR, key double, and an assist to home to get the runner out from RF.

MVP: Freel

whew, we needed that one bad. a lineup shuffle has to happen. You simply CANNOT have your 3,4,5 guys go 0 for 11 with 3 k's and a walk.

the run producers on this team are felipe, kearns, EdE and Grif to a degree right now, put get them up there in the heart of the order.

mvp: valentin
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I criticize that Valentin swing when the results are less than stellar, but when he gets all of it, like he did there... boy does that look sweet. Hopefully this come from behind win will do something for this team.
    I was seriously hoping for a first pitch fastball from Valverde there. I knew if it were a fastball. Valentin would crush it. Very nice ending to that game as Valentin's first pitch fastball hard swinging pays off today.

we still have a tie for the MVP, someone want to break it?
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Valentin for MVP. But really, it was a team effort today. Good relief efforts, good defense from Aurilia and others, big PH's late in the game. But for Javy to do it against the closer was huge. Again though, the team on the whole earned this victory in my books.

MLB ERA
    I don't want Griffey in the middle of the order right now. His OPS just isn't good enough to be there right now.

I know Freel had that long slump, but he really needs to be starting more.

Good job by Arroyo to keep us in the game even though it looks like he didn't have his best stuff.

I know most hated the signing, but Hammond has looked like the guy I thought we were getting lately.

Nice to see Valentin hit a big HR. He still has awful numbers this year, but he hit a big one today.

From what I read elsewhere, the Reds didn't get past a two-ball count on offense through the first 5 innings today. That is likely one of the reasons they didn't score but one run during that period.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Here is a recap of a recap I read elsewhere of Krivsky's appearance on WCPO-TV's Sports of All Sorts tonight:

* Wayne said he doesn't anticiplate Castellini cutting costs on the upcoming draft, in a non-large market, drafting and scouting are very simportant. The scouts will be coming into town over the next few days to make a list for the draft. Said he couldn't emphasize the importance of the draft enough.

* He said Reds need to get back to working counts, taking walks and using all of the field. He feels some players are pressing too much to try to break the team's offensive slump.

* Phil Dumatrait is likely to be promoted to AAA after another start or two.

* Talent comes first when drafting and scouting, but character matters too.

* When Homer Bailey is called up, he doesn't want him going to and from the minors. When he is called up, he is in Cincy to stay.

* When drafting pitchers they are going to look at guys with a simple delievery and arm action as opposed to a goofy delivery, in order to avoid injuries.

* Wayne likes the 3 catcher grouping right now and doesn't plan on changing that now.

*He signed Hatteberg because he worked counts well, didn't strikeout much and put the ball in play. He didn't scout him too much himself, but felt he could positively contribute to the team.

*He got Cody Ross because of the injuries in the outfield and hoped he could be the 5th outfielder before he got injured. As time went on, he became the odd guy out and thought it was best for everyone involved to move him.

*He doesn't have a preference of high school vs. college players when drafting pitchers, he wants to go with the guy with the highest ceiling and least risk. He says some balance is important though.

* Paul Wilson is long tossing now and will be evaluated again after the road trip. He thinks Wilson might be going on another rehab assignment.

* An e-mail he received said manyof O'Brien's players got DFA'ed. Wayne says he doesn't view them as "his" players, but the players usually determine their own fate. The guys that got DFA didn't cut it, so they are gone now.

* Stats play some role in his decisions, but he's more of a gut feeling guy.

* The defense has to improve and the players are working to get better. He said being last in the league defensively is not acceptable.

* Another e-mail inquired about Clemens and he didn't deny there has been contact, but said they probably couldn't afford him.

* He said a "gut feeling" played a role in the Mays signing and he admits his numbers are horrible. He says you can never have enough pitching and it's a low risk that could be a nice reward for the Reds. He is hoping to be in Louisville for his start on June 2 or 3.

And that's it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Here is a recap of a recap I read elsewhere of Krivsky's appearance on WCPO-TV's Sports of All Sorts tonight:

* Wayne said he doesn't anticiplate Castellini cutting costs on the upcoming draft, in a non-large market, drafting and scouting are very simportant. The scouts will be coming into town over the next few days to make a list for the draft. Said he couldn't emphasize the importance of the draft enough.
    Thats good, just look at what the farm brought Minnesota, Houston, Atlanta, among others.

* Phil Dumatrait is likely to be promoted to AAA after another start or two.
    Great news, maybe we will see the guy that we got during the fire sale a couple years back.

* Talent comes first when drafting and scouting, but character matters too.
    Just look at Delmon Young... just kidding, the franchise needs solid guys in the farm period.

* When Homer Bailey is called up, he doesn't want him going to and from the minors. When he is called up, he is in Cincy to stay.
    I dunno about that. How many pitchers come to the majors and dont get at least 1 trip down?

* When drafting pitchers they are going to look at guys with a simple delievery and arm action as opposed to a goofy delivery, in order to avoid injuries.
    Wasnt there a guy who said his method wont tax anyone and hasnt had many injuries in pitchers hes taught? Former MLBer forget who though. I can see where it could be a problem.

* Wayne likes the 3 catcher grouping right now and doesn't plan on changing that now.
    I dunno, I still ask myself when Denorfias goign to be called up for good. Beginning of the year I could partially understand but he's ripping AAA pitchers a new belly button and a popular target (even with recent heroics) would be Valentin.

*He signed Hatteberg because he worked counts well, didn't strikeout much and put the ball in play. He didn't scout him too much himself, but felt he could positively contribute to the team.
    Low Risk, Medium Reward player we all agree. If we were given a chance at a player who hits well vs RHP and LHP wed go that route rather than this platoon system.

*He got Cody Ross because of the injuries in the outfield and hoped he could be the 5th outfielder before he got injured. As time went on, he became the odd guy out and thought it was best for everyone involved to move him.
    Ya no point to keep Ross around with Denorfia (arguably) ready to take over for Quinton there was just no room for him.

*He doesn't have a preference of high school vs. college players when drafting pitchers, he wants to go with the guy with the highest ceiling and least risk. He says some balance is important though.
    Everyone would probably say that.

* Paul Wilson is long tossing now and will be evaluated again after the road trip. He thinks Wilson might be going on another rehab assignment.
    Bring him up and work him in the pen just to see how he adjusts. If he shows hes capable of being a 7 IP pitcher move Claussen to the pen or AAA.

* An e-mail he received said many of O'Brien's players got DFA'ed. Wayne says he doesn't view them as "his" players, but the players usually determine their own fate. The guys that got DFA didn't cut it, so they are gone now.
    Anytime you get a new person in charge theres going to be change over. I dont care if youre talking about a baseball team, your local grocery store, anything. Anytime a new guy comes in they want "their people" there because the previous staff may not be what the new guy wants. It happens all the time.

[QUOTE=CincyRedsFan30]* The defense has to improve and the players are working to get better. He said being last in the league defensively is not acceptable.

Defense wins championships and we are giving teams extra opportunities like its going extinct.

* Another e-mail inquired about Clemens and he didn't deny there has been contact, but said they probably couldn't afford him.
    At least he tried. O'Brien would still be in meetings over whether we should try or not. LOL.

* He said a "gut feeling" played a role in the Mays signing and he admits his numbers are horrible. He says you can never have enough pitching and it's a low risk that could be a nice reward for the Reds. He is hoping to be in Louisville for his start on June 2 or 3.

And that's it.
    Nothing wrong with bringing in a guy he knows. As long as its not holding up someone thats young and needs time to groom at AAA before stepping on the big stage.

Good find CRF.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Missed that post CRF.... rep worthy indeed. I just hope we're not just keeping the draft budget at the same level but we're raising it. There are a handful of players that fall down due to expected signability and the fact is other than with crafty drafting abilities, the only (quicker) way to try to build back up the farm is to buy it. Because the fact is, we have taken some complete trash in later rounds under O'Brien on the whole. aAd I think that is due to O'Brien trying to make at least an decent pick for the 1st thereby blowing his budget to some degree.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I agree with most points raised by both of you guys.

I like pretty much all of what Krivsky said in that bit. Isn't it nice to have a GM who seems to (at least typically) show he might know what he's doing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12