Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maddux Wins #320

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maddux Wins #320

Greg Maddux is 2-0 so far this year and is pitching like he did in 1993. His movement on his pitches this year is just unreal. He made the Cards look silly and he did so again today against the Reds. Maddux may be in line for yet another 15 win season. Kerry Wood is insanely jealous.

Yeah, Mad Dog!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    its sad that the old man is the best pitcher on our team so far. dude will be 40 in a coupla days.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well congrats to him once again. Truly one of the best pitchers in our era. Imagine if this keeps up when Wood and Prior are back!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Would you guys put Maddux in as the best pitcher in our era? It is a tough call for sure. You have the incredible Clemens and Randy Johnson to think about as well. If you think of the last generation, you have Nolan Ryan. Would Maddux be up there with these guys? Would he be on the top of that list on your pick for greatest pitcher of your time?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He is one of the best in my generation of baseball. Four Cy Young awards and numerous GG's and remember that 1.63 ERA he had the year they won it all in Atlanta.

Of RJ, Maddux, and Clemens, Maddux has to be the most consistent, Clemens the most clutch, and RJ the most dominant.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Would you guys put Maddux in as the best pitcher in our era? It is a tough call for sure. You have the incredible Clemens and Randy Johnson to think about as well. If you think of the last generation, you have Nolan Ryan. Would Maddux be up there with these guys? Would he be on the top of that list on your pick for greatest pitcher of your time?
    Of the big 4 pitchers (clemens, maddux, pedro, johnson) of this era, Clemens is the best, with maddux being extremely close behind him. Pedro and Johnson are well behind both of them. I have Clemens in my top 5 all time (probably 3rd) and maddux at number 6 (could be rated as high as 4). Pedro and johnson arent in the top 25 all time so its pretty apparent where i rank em.

btw, nolan ryan is probably ranked around 20 in my list. maybe as low as 25.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh damn,

Why is Nolan Ryan so low?

I would like to see that list of you've got it.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    because he walked about two gazillion batters. being in the top 20-25 isnt necessarily a bad thing, i just think hes overrated by many. actually, they were in the top 25 (20,22 respectively). I dont really have much opinion once I get past the top 15 so i get forgetful. Considering that maddux got poor run support in his career, to have 320 wins is pretty damned impressive.

1.Walter Johnson
    2.Lefty Grove
    3.Roger Clemens
    4.Pete Alexander (I should note that I'm very much considering switching 5-6, depends on this year)
    5.Christy Mathewson
    6.Greg Maddux
    7.Cy Young
    8.Tom Seaver
    9.Warren Spahn
    10.Satchel Paige
    11.Bob Feller
    12.Kid Nichols
    13.Juan Marichal
    14.Steve Carlton
    15.Smokey Joe Williams
    16.Bob Gibson
    17. Mordecai Brown
    18. Sandy Koufax
    19. Nolan Ryan
    20.Pedro Martinez
    21.Carl Hubbell
    22.Randy Johnson
    23.Ed Walsh
    24. Tim Keefe
    25. Adie Joss

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Pretty interesting list to say the least. Good to see Clemens so high. Maddux is the topic of this thread and I think he fits perfectly where you put him.

Good list man!

AA ERA
    Pretty interesting list to say the least. Good to see Clemens so high. Maddux is the topic of this thread and I think he fits perfectly where you put him.

Good list man!
    Agreed!
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

My top 5:

1.) Greg Maddux
    2.) Roger Clemens
    3.) Randy Johnson
    4.) John Smoltz
    5.) Tom Glavine

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Maddux with another win making that #321. His movement on his pitches has been remarkable. Keep it up Greg!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Is this the Mad Dog of old? It sure seems like it. Keep it up Maddux!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast