Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

According to Braves manager Bobby Cox, Macay McBride is sidelined with "a little muscle tear around the wrist."
    Assistant GM Frank Wren said it still might be a strain. Either way, it looks like McBride will begin the season on the DL. He isn't expected to resume throwing until next week
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Blaine Boyer (shoulder) pitched one inning in a minor league intrasquad game Thursday and reported no problems.
    "He was impressive," manager Bobby Cox said. "We'll rest him two days and go again, then go from there." If Boyer can get healthy he has a decent shot of making the Braves' Opening Day roster

The Braves contacted the Mariners to gauge their interest in John Thomson, according to the Tacoma News Tribune.
    If the Braves liked the idea of trying Gil Meche as a reliever, maybe a deal would work. Considering that they have five starters, the Mariners probably wouldn't want to add Thomson's salary unless they could move Meche's in the process.

The Rangers discussed right-hander John Thomson with the Braves on Friday afternoon.
    Getting Thomson back into their rotation would go a long way toward helping the Rangers' chances this season. The Braves, though, would want pitching back, and although the idea of turning Juan Dominguez's career around would be appealing, it'd almost certainly take more than him along. Joaquin Benoit, who was very successful as a reliever last season, is another possibility.

Jeff Francoeur is focusing on improving his pitch selection.
    Always a free swinger, that is the one aspect of Francoeur's game that could stand major improvements. "I'm forcing [pitchers] to throw strikes -- when you do that, it makes baseball a lot easier," Francoeur said.

Kelly Johnson (elbow) will likely begin the season either at Triple-A or on the disabled list.
    Johnson has been out of game action since March 15. "It's extremely frustrating," Johnson said. "Bad timing. Really, really bad timing."

Wilson Betemit returned to action on Saturday and went 0-for-2 with a walk.
    His hitting streak was snapped. Betemit had hit in 11 straight games before suffering a strained rib cage on March 14.

Chuch James worked a scoreless inning of relief and struck out two versus the Indians today.
    With Macay McBride expected to join John Foster on the DL, the Braves are probably going to carry James and Mike Remlinger as their left-handed relievers. It shouldn't be a permanent gig for James, and he probably won't be worth using in NL-only leagues initially.

John Smoltz surrendered two runs -- one earned -- in six innings and struck out five Indians today.
    He walked none. Smoltz has a 16/2 K/BB ratio to go along with his 2.00 ERA in 18 innings

Blaine Boyer (shoulder) has a very important outing on Sunday. If he can make it through a inning against the Dodgers without experiencing any pain he will greatly increase his chance to make opening day roster.
    Atlanta manager Bobby Cox gives Boyer a 50-50 chance to make the team. "We've got to find out [if he's ready]," said Cox, who needs to see if Boyer can handle a few appearances in the next week to determine if he'll be ready for the opening day roster. "It's 50-50 right now," Cox said. Boyer is attempting to earn one of the final spots in the Braves' bullpen.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette believes the Pirates would be willing to give up Craig Wilson for John Thomson.
    Even though it'd mean taking on $1.45 million in salary. The Braves, though, would probably be more interested in landing bullpen help than a rather expensive player who likely would only platoon initially. The Post-Gazette suggests that the Pirates could add in Salomon Torres in exchange for getting a prospect along with Thomson

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 03/25/06

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. —Braves catcher Eddie Perez knows he's going to start the season at Class AA Mississippi, but doesn't know whether he's going to play again or begin his coaching career.
    The popular veteran will let his surgically repaired right shoulder influence the decision. He plans to give it one more month, then decide whether to keep playing or become a coach in the Braves organization.
    "One more month, it's that simple," said Perez, 37, who had surgery in October and has improved significantly during spring training. "In one month, if I feel good, I'm going to play. If I don't, I'm going to coach."
    He couldn't throw when spring training began. Now he's making throws and strengthening his shoulder through an extensive workout regimen. He's not ready to play in a game yet, but is getting closer.
    Perez wants to catch and play some first base at Mississippi, and hook on with a major league team if he's ready in a month. His preference is to rejoin Atlanta, where he's spent nine of his 11 major league seasons.
    The Braves want the respected Venezuelan in their organization and have let him know there's a coaching position waiting for him when he's ready. They'll wait and see about him playing again.
    For now, they want him to help Mississippi manager Jeff Blauser, the former Braves shortstop entering his first season as a minor league manager. Perez and Blauser were Braves teammates in the mid-1990s.
    "They have a lot of Spanish-speaking kids [on the Mississippi team]," said Perez, who is bilingual and popular in the clubhouse among players from all backgrounds.
    Perez missed 99 games last season with shoulder problems.
    Dr. James Andrews operated on his shoulder after the season and told Perez there was no reason he shouldn't be able to play again, or at least try. That was all the catcher needed to hear. He spent the winter rehabbing and accepted a non-roster invitation to Braves spring training.
    Eddie's the man...I just hope he doesn't make the team over Todd Pratt though.

Jeff Francoeur revealed Saturday that he suffered from a serious eye infection for three weeks during the offseason.
    The infection stemmed infection from surgery after he was beaned by a fastball in 2004 at Single-A Myrtle Beach. For six hours a day from Nov. 13 until Dec. 9, Francoeur took antibiotics through an intravenous tube that ran up his left arm to a spot near his heart. "I was like an old geezer, sitting there with my IV bag at home," said Francoeur, known for his high energy level. "It was awful. I [usually] can't sit around for an hour. I'd play Xbox, watch movies — I've seen every movie Blockbuster on Sugarloaf has to offer. I'd walk in there with my IV tube at 10 in the morning, 'What 'cha got?'" Judging by his spring, Francouer is completely better now.

Horacio Ramirez worked six innings and allowed two runs Sunday in a no-decision against the Dodgers.
    It's our belief the Braves should be looking to deal Ramirez instead of John Thomson, especially since he might have more value because of his lower salary. The left-hander has a 4.00 ERA this spring, but that's with 22 hits allowed, six walks and five strikeouts in 18 innings.

Adam LaRoche went 3-for-4 on Sunday and hit his first homer this spriong.
    LaRoche entered hitting just .194 in 36 at-bats. What chance he had of starting against lefties has probably disappeared with his poor spring. Either James Jurries or Brian Jordan could platoon with him.

MLB ERA
    Salty better learn how to play 1B.

ASAP.

Laroche has been pretty beastly for my OOTP team.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Blaine Boyer (shoulder) impressed Sunday while needing just 10 pitches to pitch a perfect inning against the Dodgers and is in line to have a spot on the Opening Day roster.
    "Blaine looks like he hasn't missed a lick at all, despite all this waiting," manager Bobby Cox said. "His control has been excellent. That's as good of a curveball as I've seen him throw." Boyer will be employed in a setup role, and he will be a candidate for saves if Chris Reitsma falters

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Salty better learn how to play 1B.

ASAP.
    I support this movement.

Woohoo for rotoworld typos.

Spriong...hehe...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

With opening day a week away, second baseman Marcus Giles is still trying to catch up after a spring interrupted first by the premature birth of a daughter and then by a sore right shoulder.
    Giles, trying to adjust to the leadoff role, was 0-for-3 with two strikeouts Sunday and has one hit in 18 at-bats. He does have six walks.
    "I'm not worried," Giles said. "I never like a lot of at-bats during spring training, though I do usually have better results. I'll be ready when the season starts."
    First baseman Adam LaRoche, who was hitting .184 with one RBI, went 3-for-4 and hit his first home run. Raising his average to .391, outfielder Matt Diaz was also 3-for-4 and drove in the Braves' other run.
    Peter Moylan, signed off the Australian team in the World Baseball Classic, took the loss, giving up a seventh-inning run. Still, the 27-year-old impressed Bobby Cox by striking out J.D. Drew to end the inning. "He's got a future," the Braves manager said of the sidearmer.
    With the loss, the Braves fell to 7-16-3. The Dodgers, who used most of their regulars the whole game, are 12-10-3.

From AJC. Like Marcus, I ain't worried. He'll get it back.

Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast